What's new

Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Soap

Well, it's my first post here on Badger and Blade.
I had been wanting to get my hands on a shaving soap for quite some time, and recently, I purchased the Proraso Sandalwood Soap online after reading some great things about it. It's my first shaving soap, so I would really appreciate it if I could get a consensus from the people over here regarding how well it performs. If it's not too much trouble, I would also like to know whether it is good for sensitive skin, since I do have breakouts from time to time.
Thank you.

Proraso sandalwood is a solid performing soap. It's a classic for a reason.

I have not had issues with my skin using it but that's not to say you won't.

+1 to hat Mark said.

I occasionally would get my skin lit up by Proraso's eucalyptus menthol formula, but never the Sandalwood. I think that you're in for a very enjoyable lather.

Welcome to B&B, it is a great performing soap, and I don't hear many reviews about it effecting people's skin. However it is always possible.

Welcome aboard!
Having used it over two winters here in Canada, I'd call Proraso Red a quality performer. It lathers very well and as an added bonus the sandalwood scent is terrific and longlasting to the point an aftershave is often not needed. As for irritation, I've not encountered any, but not having ever used it in hot, muggy summers I wouldn't know how it would be for our Indian bretheren.

I only have positive things to say about Proraso Red. Lathering is easy, cushion and slickness is excellent for me, face feel after shaving is very comfortable. I like the scent, it does not smell like perfume as some other sandalwood soaps do. I have never had an issue with irritation. This soap is in my regular rotation.

One of my very favorites. It's inexpensive, it lathers easily, it has great post shave feel and it smells nice. I can't speak about suitability for sensitive skin, I'm pretty insensitive about most things.

Welcome to the forum and have fun.

I love Proraso Red. Some sandalwood soaps/creams give me a bad reaction, but Proraso does not. I find it to be mild and slick, and I love the scent. If your skin is very sensitive, I suggest using it with a soft synthetic brush.

I like all 3 Proraso Soaps as well as all 4 Proraso Creams

I find that the Sandalwood (Red) has a nice warming effect on a cold winter morning, I find the White refreshing and the Green invigorating -all 3 leave my face feeling very supple
I tend to face lather with my Chinese Synthetic Silvertip, but all 3 Proraso Soaps are also good for bowl lathering - a few swirls go a long way and a tub lasts for a long time

I find that the tubes of cream have stronger versions of the same scents and are ridiculously easy to lather and, like the soaps a little goes a very long way

Time will tell whether it will be soap or cream, but there will always be a place in my shave den for Proraso Red, White & Green - and more than likely Blue cream too

Thank you for the answers and the warm welcome, people. So far, it seems like I have made the right choice of soap :001_smile

Last edited:
Well, it's my first post here on Badger and Blade.
I had been wanting to get my hands on a shaving soap for quite some time, and recently, I purchased the Proraso Sandalwood Soap online after reading some great things about it. It's my first shaving soap, so I would really appreciate it if I could get a consensus from the people over here regarding how well it performs. If it's not too much trouble, I would also like to know whether it is good for sensitive skin, since I do have breakouts from time to time.
Thank you.

I have tried the green and the white. The white is their sensitive skin formula. You may want to give that a go. I really like it and Proraso is a great performer!

Proraso Red was actually the first soap I bought a whole tub of. It's been a great performer from the start, and I still use it today. I have very sensitive skin, and Proraso Red has never given me any irritation. There are other soaps with better slickness, and my face tends to dry quickly after I go over a particular area. As long as I don't keep shaving the same area without re-lathering, I'm good. Post-shave, it leaves my face very soft and smooth. I'm about to use it this morning.

I bought a tub of Proraso White a couple of weeks ago. That is excellent as well, and shaves even more comfortably than the Red. The only drawback I found was it left my brush sticky/gummy. I had to clean my brush with apple cider vinegar last night, because it wasn't lathering as well as it should. I've heard others mention the same thing about their brush or razor becoming gummy. Great soap, though!

Proraso red is my least favorite of the proraso line. That doesn't mean I don't like it but I like the white and green better and the blue tube best. It says it's formulated for a tough beard aND that's true but the sandlewood irritates my skin a little so I won't use it every day. I have used the green every for a month straight trying to use it up and I found it to leave no irritation at all. Just my opinion but I think the red gives a closer shave.

Top Bottom