What's new

Taking It Up a Notch PIF

Since I just closed out my starter set PIF, I thought it would be fun to follow it with a PIF consisting of some items that didn't quite work out as I tried to become a little more advanced in my wet shaving journey. My face didn't agree with these items, but I hope yours will. Since B&B opened my eyes to these and many more great products in my lurking days, what better way to pay it forward?

The Rules
This is open to ConUS residents only to keep shipping simple. Reply to let me know you are "in" and share a story of your (successful or unsuccessful) attempts to "take it up a notch." The cutoff for entries will be midnight Eastern Time on Saturday, 1/28. I will pick a winner via random draw next weekend.

The Goods and The Story

$PIF 2 pic.jpg

Mystic Water Barbershop Shave Stick
- There's a little more than half the stick remaining and it's the "old" MW formula, so it's a little picky with harder water. It's a nice spicy/soapy take on a barbershop scent and I really wanted to like this. Unfortunately, there is something in it that subtly does not agree with my face, plus it takes some patience to lather the old formulation, so I was not getting the best it had to offer, I'm sure. I will say, when you get it right, the post shave feel from MW can't be beat!​

TOBS Shaving Shop Cream - This tub is nearly full and this one was a heart breaker. TOBS is so highly praised here, I had to try some as I was spreading my wet shaving wings. This is a sophisticated take on a barbershop scent and it's really very nice. It has, without fail, lit up my face each time i tried it, so I will pass it along to someone who can enjoy it. I believe TOBS stopped making this scent, so here's your chance to give it a go, or get more of a favorite.

B1 (1956) Gillette Red Tip - It's missing an end cap and there is a water spot on one of the doors, but it is in good user condition and I treated to to a dip in Barbicide. As I acquired some Super Speeds (40s, Flair Tip, Black Handled) and liked them, I continued searching for the perfect shave. Everyone raved about Red Tips and I figured I'd give a more aggressive razor a shot. It turns out that was probably exactly the wrong medicine. After I got a Slim, I discovered that middling to mild settings suit me best. Rather than sitting around in my medicine cabinet, I think this razor deserves some use, so off it goes.​

Good luck to all who enter, I am looking forward to your stories.

Bart

I'm in!
Kicking up a notch:
13 months ago, my cartridges ran out and I scoffed at buying new ones. So, I kicked up a notch to Harry's Razors.
Well that did not work out well, so I kicked it up a notch again to a '52 SS.
That worked great and I kicked it up a notch to a 2014 pre-owned Muhle R41.
That worked great and so now I have few more Old types.
I am in the process of building my own strop so I can kick it up a notch again.

I'm in. I tried to take it up a notch by buying and using a Parker SR1 shavette. Bad move. Lot's of blood.

Thanks! I'm in.

To to early to say if taking it up a notch will be successful or not, but working on getting a Kamisori as first straight razor.

Mark

I'm in a very generous pif. I really tried on voskhod blades as they are so praised. They just didn't work for me. Everything else I have tried due to the advice of members here has been good.

Thank you for the opportunity "I'm in".
As for kicking it up a notch. I started with Personna Blues and boar brush. Recently switched to Polsilvers and a synthetic brush.

I've never tried a Red Tip or TOBS. I have only used Stirling soap

Not in, but awesome pif!

I've taken up the notch as far as can with DE/SE shaving without crossing into the realm of the straight razor. Of course I could try shaving blind folded after injecting my shaving hand with novocain.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Not in but a super PIF! The Red Tip is a great razor. One of the very first vintage razors I ever owned and it was PIFed to me by a member here.

Lots of stuff here I'd like to try, I'm in!

I guess my "taking it up a notch" moment was when I ordered my first "high end" soap which was martin de candre Original. I had sure been missing out, this led me to buy others also and see what great soaps are out there. Definitely a success.

Thanks for the great pif!

I'm in!! Great PIF!!

Kicking it up a notch: I've made 2 changes recently to my shaving routine: 1 - I've stopped blooming my soaps and just using a damp brush, slowly adding water as I lather (helped me build a more consistent lather), 2 - started a modified "X" pattern on the parts of my neck where my beard grows in a swirl pattern to get a closer shave in those stubborn areas.

I'm in! I've been taking it DOWN a notch, I was going for more and more aggression, but with mixed results. Then I was given a pre-war Tech and it completely turned me around. The early Techs are the most aggressive of the Techs, but that's not saying much, but they are incredibly efficient. I've been getting the best shaves ever with a razor I once considered too mild to even consider.

I've never had a Red Tip, or any Flare Tip, I would love to try one.

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm in! I've been taking it DOWN a notch, I was going for more and more aggression, but with mixed results. Then I was given a pre-war Tech and it completely turned me around. The early Techs are the most aggressive of the Techs, but that's not saying much, but they are incredibly efficient. I've been getting the best shaves ever with a razor I once considered too mild to even consider.

I've never had a Red Tip, or any Flare Tip, I would love to try one.

I sense a new favorite razor coming on!!!!

Top Bottom