What's new

Blades comparable to Feather

I have been using Volkhods, simply because I purchased 100 of them. However, I often find them tugging, even on the third shave. Feathers always seem to start off performing better and keeping that performance longer. Any recommendations for similar performing blades? I am thinking about getting a small, specific sample pack of sharp blades. Thank in advance.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Blades I would put close to feathers.

Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue
Kai
Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless
Astra SS

Ymmv but those are my sharpest feeling.

My picks would be the yellow 7 O'Clock SharpEdge and Nacet. The first time I use a SharpEdge, it felt almost exactly like a Feather and it was amazing. It's also somehow smooth like a Voskhod. Nacets are fairly sharp, only a small step down from Feathers, but they aren't quite as smooth in my experience.

My blades of choice would be............

Egypt
Racer Super Class Platinum
Silver Star Super Stainless

Germany
Wilkinson Sword

Greece
Bic Chrome Platinum

India
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (Green)

Israel
Personna Platinum Chrome

Russia
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow)

Turkey
Zaza Supreme Stainless

These are my favourite blades in my rotation - I'm guaranteed to get 4 good, close, comfortable shaves per blade in any of my razors, using a different razor every day on a consistent basis
They all cost on average around half the price of Feather blades or less = more bangs for my buck too - quite literally !!

IMHO - if Feather blades were discontinued, I wouldn't even miss them !!!

Gillette - 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow)
Gillette - 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black)
Gillette Nacet
KAI
Personna Medical Prep

Gillette Nacet ..... for me and my face, as sharp as Feather but much smoother. A close, smooth, comfortable, irritation-free shave when loaded into my Merkur 34C.

Thanks folks. I still have a sample of Gillette yellow. I will have to add a few others. I forgot about the Astra SPs, which are also in my collection of blades.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Polsilver
Voskhod
Laser Platinum
Schick Premium
Personna Reds

Anyone of these gives me multiple BBS shaves, so I buy them in bulk. Haven't made it to my Feathers sample yet so as of right now I have no opinion on those blades.

Fas est et ab hoste docari

I have the exact same issues with Voskhod's bought 100 (my only 100 purchase) and they tug quickly and mediocre shaves perion.

Already mentioned- i like all the Gillette branded ones i've tried, Yellow, Black Seven o'clocks, Nacets, GSB's- any one of those, could happily choose solely based on price. I'd put these all ahead of Feathers given a choice, plenty sharp, smoother and easily get over twenty shaves per blade.

Mentioned already Polsilver, equal qualities to the Gillettes.

Didn't see mentioned were Bolzano's, worked very well but the price is out of line for performance i get elsewhere for much less.

Lots listed here i haven't tried.
dave

Yet another(!) vote for Gillete 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow). Almost as sharp as a Feather, and highly durable. I never get less than six great shaves from a Yellow.

Thanks folks. I still have a sample of Gillette yellow. I will have to add a few others. I forgot about the Astra SPs, which are also in my collection of blades.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Let us know what you think of your sample of the Gillette yellows.

I agree with others, yellows are a just a step or two down from feathers. I find 7OC yellows sharper than GSBs, Personna med preps, Astra SPs, and others. Much sharper than voskhods in my experience.

Kais are on the same level as feathers in sharpness but can be quite a bit more pricey. Next in line for me after yellows would probably be polsilvers. Have not yet tried nacets.

Let us know what you think of your sample of the Gillette yellows.

I agree with others, yellows are a just a step or two down from feathers. I find 7OC yellows sharper than GSBs, Personna med preps, Astra SPs, and others. Much sharper than voskhods in my experience.

Kais are on the same level as feathers in sharpness but can be quite a bit more pricey. Next in line for me after yellows would probably be polsilvers. Have not yet tried nacets.
Sadly, I found out it was the Gillette greens and I am out of them. I am thinking about placing an order for two each of Gillette yellow, Gillette black, nacet, Astra SPs, GSB, and Polsivers. The Kai, if more expensive, isn't something I will even bother with. I would like something cheaper than Feathers. There might be a few others to order as well. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Sadly, I found out it was the Gillette greens and I am out of them. I am thinking about placing an order for two each of Gillette yellow, Gillette black, nacet, Astra SPs, GSB, and Polsivers. The Kai, if more expensive, isn't something I will even bother with. I would like something cheaper than Feathers. There might be a few others to order as well. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Sent via mobile - Chris

I'd recommend picking up some Gillette 7OC Russian Greens as well, which to my observations is similar in performance to a Feather.

Top Bottom