What's new

New AOS Oud Suede shaving cream - $30

Stopped by their store in nyc to check out any new scents and they had this "days old" Oud Suede scent. The tub cost $30, a fair bit more than their regular stuff. Do any of you guys already have this? What do u think?

I couldn't find anything on their website about this.

I also got a peppermint tub for $27 but I know that's been out for a while already.

Oud Suede sounds pretty nice. Have a AOS store nearby, will have to swing by soon and investigate. Thanks for posting.

$IMG_20170120_182834.jpg

This should help. I used it with my Omega Boar brush and Edwin Jagger DE89LBL with a regular Gillette blade.

The shave was fantastic as always with AOS creams. I used a peanut M&M sized amount i scraped off the top of the cap and it was more than enough for a 3 pass shave + any touch up if needed. The scent is very sweet to me and doesn't have any of that menthol minty feel. Its very warm and manly, good for the winter.

I also have their sandalwood and thats my favorite so i try to savor that tub. I also have a brand new peppermint that i'll try in a day or 2 so that i can grow a stubble.

man...I do NOT need more software......but I really enjoy AoS cream.

I am not in any sabbatical but I definitely resist buying stuff. This might get past my defenses.

man...I do NOT need more software......but I really enjoy AoS cream.

I am not in any sabbatical but I definitely resist buying stuff. This might get past my defenses.

I'm right there with you. I have too many soaps and creams already, but this sounds very appealing. AoS soaps (the vintage tallow at least) and creams are my favorite of the far too many that I've had the privilege of trying. I'm a big Oud fan, making this very hard to resist.

Stopped by their store in nyc to check out any new scents and they had this "days old" Oud Suede scent. The tub cost $30, a fair bit more than their regular stuff. Do any of you guys already have this? What do u think?

Actually, it's simply named "Oud." No mention of Suede as far as the shaving cream is concernend.

Is it true that this cream was released just days ago?

Yes. They had the cream and PSO at my local AoS store. The lovely and helpful clerk said it had just arrived, but they haven't received any balm yet. She asked how I knew that is was coming, and I told her: "The Badger and Blade Forum." She's heard of us before apparently. :thumbup1:

Here's the haul:

$OUDSUEDE1.jpg

Couldn't find it specifically on their website. Same profile as their Oud Suede cologne?

Couldn't find it either, online or in store regarding the cream/balm/PSO.
Here are the notes on the Oud Suede cologne though:

$OUDSUEDE2.jpg

I've used both the cream and the cologne yesterday and today and have some thoughts regarding comparison between the two.

They are extremely similar, but I do notice differences:

1. The names are different. Oud Suede is the Cologne. Oud is the cream.

2. The cologne opens with noticeable notes of bergamot, then floral (geranium or lavendin?). These don't stick around too long and the scent settles on a (my opinion) somewhat artificial accord of a suede/rubber/leather like blend. It is bold and remains pretty much linear through dry down. I don't really get any sort of oud scent. That rich, creamy, nutty-woody-warm note that I love so much (TF Oud Wood, TF Tobacco Oud, Creed Royal Oud, Polo Supreme Oud, AdP Colonia Oud, PAA Coconut Oud, PAA Sangre De Drago, Dr. Jon's 13) just doesn't come through for me on this one.

3. When either tub sniffing or lathering the Oud cream, I don't pick up on any of the bergamot or floral. I get the same artificial suede/rubber/leather accord in bold form along with a sort of camphoric medicinal/sterile undertone somewhat redolent of original Le Pere Lucien sans the eucalyptus. The scent fades as the shave progresses, but to my nose, it seems completely linear and the oud never shows up here either.

$OUD2.jpg

I feel the "Oud" naming of the product is a swing and a miss. Oud fans like myself will likely be disappointed. I would not be surprised if the supposed Oud note was obtained by synthetic means. "Suede" would have been a more apropos product name in my opinion. "The nurse's new sneakers" would be a name that pretty much let's you know what you're getting. Guess that sounds harsh. Well, I am disappointed - Oud just isn't what I'd expected or hoped for. It doesn't come off like a luxury cream for me. I did get an excellent shave thought. Performance is definitely on point. I'll use it again tomorrow. I certainly don't love it, but oddly don't entirely hate it. I could have passed on this and maybe should have. But, I'll be continuing to use it for now and see if I can't make friends with it.

As scents can be very subjective, I'm not sure how aligned with the popular opinion I'm going to be on this one. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say about it.

Also, I left the lid off the cream overnight to let it breath and see if the scent would settle any and now I've noticed the top layer has become skinned over. Rubbery and yellowing. Had to dig down to get the the soft cream. That happened fast. Not sure why, but it doesn't seem to like exposure. So that's something to be aware of. :001_unsur

$OUD1.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, it's simply named "Oud." No mention of Suede as far as the shaving cream is concernend.

Yes. They had the cream and PSO at my local AoS store. The lovely and helpful clerk said it had just arrived, but they haven't received any balm yet. She asked how I knew that is was coming, and I told her: "The Badger and Blade Forum." She's heard of us before apparently. :thumbup1:

Here's the haul:

View attachment 718648

Couldn't find it either, online or in store regarding the cream/balm/PSO.
Here are the notes on the Oud Suede cologne though:

View attachment 718649

I've used both the cream and the cologne yesterday and today and have some thoughts regarding comparison between the two.

They are extremely similar, but I do notice differences:

1. The names are different. Oud Suede is the Cologne. Oud is the cream.

2. The cologne opens with noticeable notes of bergamot, then floral (geranium or lavendin?). These don't stick around too long and the scent settles on a (my opinion) somewhat artificial accord of a suede/rubber/leather like blend. It is bold and remains pretty much linear through dry down. I don't really get any sort of oud scent. That rich, creamy, nutty-woody-warm note that I love so much (TF Oud Wood, TF Tobacco Oud, Creed Royal Oud, Polo Supreme Oud, AdP Colonia Oud, PAA Coconut Oud, PAA Sangre De Drago, Dr. Jon's 13) just doesn't come through for me on this one.

3. When either tub sniffing or lathering the Oud cream, I don't pick up on any of the bergamot or floral. I get the same artificial suede/rubber/leather accord in bold form along with a sort of camphoric medicinal/sterile undertone somewhat redolent of original Le Pere Lucien sans the eucalyptus. The scent fades as the shave progresses, but to my nose, it seems completely linear and the oud never shows up here either.

View attachment 718640

I feel the "Oud" naming of the product is a swing and a miss. Oud fans like myself will likely be disappointed. I would not be surprised if the supposed Oud note was obtained by synthetic means. "Suede" would have been a more apropos product name in my opinion. "The nurse's new sneakers" would be a name that pretty much let's you know what you're getting. Guess that sounds harsh. Well, I am disappointed - Oud just isn't what I'd expected or hoped for. It doesn't come off like a luxury cream for me. I did get an excellent shave thought. Performance is definitely on point. I'll use it again tomorrow. I certainly don't love it, but oddly don't entirely hate it. I could have passed on this and maybe should have. But, I'll be continuing to use it for now and see if I can't make friends with it.

As scents can be very subjective, I'm not sure how aligned with the popular opinion I'm going to be on this one. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say about it.

Also, I left the lid off the cream overnight to let it breath and see if the scent would settle any and now I've noticed the top layer has become skinned over. Rubbery and yellowing. Had to dig down to get the the soft cream. That happened fast. Not sure why, but it doesn't seem to like exposure. So that's something to be aware of. :001_unsur

View attachment 718642

New car smell? :lol:

But it is hard to beat the lather and performance of AOS creams.

Thanks for the write-up [MENTION=103484]-EdG[/MENTION]
From your experience I think I'll have to swing by after my cohort meeting this week and see if its any different to my nose. I was looking forward to an AoS cream with the Oud Suede cologne profile, not sure if I'll be a fan of this artificial smell unfortunately. Well YMMV I suppose, time to see my mileage...

I am really looking forward to this one! About a month ago I picked up my first AoS cream, lemon, and I haven't touched any other cream or soap since.

Re: Oud and camphor or medicinal scent. Many natural or organic ouds smell like this, depending upon where the agar wood was grown (e.g., location, altitude, soil composition, etc.) and how the oud was made (e.g., type of pot, water source, resin extract method, etc.). In some cultures, oud is used as medicine.

I am really looking forward to this one! About a month ago I picked up my first AoS cream, lemon, and I haven't touched any other cream or soap since.

Re: Oud and camphor or medicinal scent. Many natural or organic ouds smell like this, depending upon where the agar wood was grown (e.g., location, altitude, soil composition, etc.) and how the oud was made (e.g., type of pot, water source, resin extract method, etc.). In some cultures, oud is used as medicine.

Interesting info, had no idea. Let us know how it works for you.

I def can't describe the individual aromas in the Oud cream. It smells overall sweet and has a very warm feeling on your face. Makes washing your face with cool water feel very nice. Definitely a very manly scent. The shave is amazing. I also love TOBS, but the AOS is ever so slightly better.

I have way too much shaving cream for a guy who only needs to shave every other day.

I was not aware there could be so much variation to oud. Certainly could explain the medicinal accord. A little Google-Fu, and I've come to discover some people say certain variations of oud can have a "Band Aid" scent, so that goes to further your comment. Perhaps this product is created with a variation of oud that I've not come across prior. Interesting information.

The variations of real oud are infinite. Each time it is made, it is a one-off frag. The artisanal perfumers rarely can duplicate ouds they've previously distilled.

Top Bottom