What's new

Anybody NOT keep track of how many shaves on a blade?

I always used to keep track of the number of shaves per blade. I found that I would expect it to get dull by a certain time so I may have thrown them out early, or vice versa, using one too long expecting it to still be good. Nowadays I throw one in and pitch it when I don't get the expected results after my normal 2 pass face/3 pass neck with touchup. I'm pretty sure I usually get a week or so per blade but honestly couldn't tell you how many times I've used my current blade. I think this has been key to getting so many outstanding shaves in a row. Well, combined with the fact that I can now whip up a great lather with any soap/cream/brush I use. Each seems to be the best I've had. With no phony numbers to expect from a blade I find I'm actually paying more attention to the quality of the shave itself, which has been rewarding, rather than expecting 10 from a Polsilver or 5-6 from a Voskhod. The numbers don't mean a thing anymore. Thoughts?

Nope I do not keep track. I have multiple blades and razors in use. Generally after a few shaves I toss them. I fight razor bumps so need to try to extend the life of a blade.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If it feels dull toward the end of a shave I throw it when done. Start the next shave with a fresh one. That may be 1 shave or 10 the blades vary.

I do not generally track it. In some cases, like the RR Hawk with a Feather AC Pro blade, I will track as a reference source for review purposes. For the most part though, I just use it till it seems like the edge is done.

I used to keep track and pitched each blade after about three shaves early on and six shaves recently but I've have gotten lazy with it. The better your technique and prep the longer a blade will last.

I do see where you're going with this though as between some experiments of seeing how many comfortable shaves I could get from a blade (usually in the 20 to 30 range) and other times where I've knocked the dice off the shelf (that were tracking blade counts) I have quite a few razors containing blades that I have no idea how many shaves they have on them.

With many of these razors I've just used the blade until I get a shave that I'm not as impressed with and I pitch them. More of a feel thing, but even then I suspect that these blades still have quite a bit of life in them when they are retired and that they could likely give me many more great shaves.

I suspect that just about every blade I've thrown out did have quite a bit of life left in it, but blades are cheap so I'm not worried about getting every last shave from every blade. If I track the blade I'll usually start looking for a new blade at around six shaves, sometimes even ten or twelve if I'm getting perfect shaves. If I'm not tracking it then I have no idea how many shaves are on it when it's pitched.

One razor, one of the same blade (GSB) at a time. After 4 +/- shaves, I judge how good that last shave was, and I swap out my blade accordingly.

I used to keep track but not anymore, the blade tells me when it's done. Most of the time I can't even tell you what blade I'm using, like now for instance!

I don't track them. I just change the blade out when it feels like it's getting dull. I do know I can get around a week from one blade, but not the exact number.

for 15 cents a pop I am not going to keep track of shaves ... once or twice is enough to justify the cost of the blade ... that's just me ...

I keep a shave log. Its valuable info for me as in X amount of shaves, how well it shaved my chin & neck area. Razor burn or no razor burn etc... This helps me to decide what brand to get the next time.

No, but I usually change blades every Sunday just so I don't get a "surprise" dullness notice, i.e., a weeper. I know that my Astra SPs will last longer than that, but it's on the edge for Feathers, so, Sunday AM, change blade.

Top Bottom