What's new

Looking for a shaving brush with tough fibers (not too much tough)

hello to everyone: I'm looking for a recommendation for a shaving brush with tough fibers (not too much tough),not springy, not too soft, in a small size, and not so expensive (until 45$), does not really matter to me kind of a shaving brush.. it can be a: boar, badger, mixed, synthetic, horse and more ...
often I have hairs under the skin (Ingrown Hairs), so i must a shaving brush with tough fibers that can help to me release the ingrown hairs.
I currently have 2 shaving brush and I'm not satisfied:
the first one: Omega 10066 (24 mm knot) - too large, springy, floppy.
the second: RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic (24 mm knot) - too large, too much soft.

I thought about few options: semogue 610, Kent Infinity Silvertex, Muhle Silvertip Fibre V2 Synthetic, Vulfix 404.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello to everyone: I'm looking for a recommendation for a shaving brush with tough fibers (not too much tough),not springy, not too soft, in a small size, and not so expensive (until 45$), does not really matter to me kind of a shaving brush.. it can be a: boar, badger, mixed, synthetic, horse and more ...
often I have hairs under the skin (Ingrown Hairs), so i must a shaving brush with tough fibers that can help to me release the ingrown hairs.
I currently have 2 shaving brush and I'm not satisfied:
the first one: Omega 10066 (24 mm knot) - too large, springy, floppy.
the second: RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic (24 mm knot) - too large, too much soft.

Thank you very much.
Semogue Boar brushes are good in my opinion. Nice firmness, but not harsh or stiff. I have a 1305 and it lathers and gets the hairs on my face nice and ready. It breaks in after about a dozen shaves, and for under $20 it's a deal.
Pic below is what the 1305 looks like. 22mm knot and a 55mm loft, and it has a nice splay for face lathering. Good in the bowl too.

$IMG_0135.jpg

The Omega 11047 "Mighty Midget" might be a good option. Great little brush with a bit of scritch. It truly lives up to being called the "Mighty Midget".

The Kent Infinity Silvertex that I just got a couple months ago has tons of backbone and is a quite prickly and tough. I'm not sure if they're all this way now since my older one has noticeably less backbone (still has a decent amount, though) and is very soft feeling, so if Kent intentionally changed it, what you get could depend on how old the inventory is on hand at any given supplier.

The Muhle Silvertip Fibre has some backbone, but is pretty soft feeling.

I had a Vulfix 404 and ended up keeping the handle, but had a Silvertip Shavemac knot installed in it. It was a decent brush, but I always liked the Omega 11047 "Mighty Midget" quite a bit more. The Vulfix knot always seemed too sparse. The handle is fantastic, but in terms of performance, I just thought it paled in comparison to the Omega.

Last edited:
In that price range, I would go for a boar. There are many good options depending on what you like.

For me it would likely be something like SOC, but the other suggestions above are well worth considering.

My last brush from Whipped Dog would likely take care of your needs. It is a 24mm High Mountain, and I asked him to hand select a stiff knot for it. It is by far the stiffest High Mountain / Finest that I own. I also really love the tall amber handle.

I use a Vie Long 4101 Professional, it's classed as medium, but being fairly slender, it looks a bit on the small side - I've got fairly small hands, and it still looks and feels a bit dainty when I use it
It has all the stiffness and durability of boar with all the floppiness of horse - best of both worlds
Once broken in, the tips soften slightly and it can be used in either a swirling motion (slightly scritchy) or in a painting motion (softer)
Here are the stats:
[FONT=open_sansregular]Hair mix: 60% boar; 40% horse[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]Overall Length - 114mm[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]Handle Length - 55mm[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]Loft - 59mm[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]Knot -18mm[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]Weight - 65gr. approx.[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]Made in Spain

[/FONT]
$20161017_103341.jpg[FONT=open_sansregular]

[/FONT]

My last brush from Whipped Dog would likely take care of your needs. It is a 24mm High Mountain, and I asked him to hand select a stiff knot for it. It is by far the stiffest High Mountain / Finest that I own. I also really love the tall amber handle.

+1

The WD High Mountain is unlike any other badger brush I have used. I find myself using it more and more with every passing day. Firm yet soft with just that desired amount of scritch and an excellent latherer. The handle is just fantastic and you can customise the loft. Very much in the ~45 territory. Cant recommend it enough.

Should you decide to get a boar, I'd recommend the SOC.

$WD.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom