What's new

Newbie from BC - a "task" that's now a hobby!

Hi guys, I'd like to send a big thanks to this community - you're a huge reason for my foray into DE shaving. I stumbled into DE shaving when a new barbershop opened in the mall and I noticed what I thought was a huge selection of DE razors, straight razors, brushes, soaps, and hair/beard care. I went home, started researching online and was surprised at the scope of the shaving world!

I'm 2 weeks in and this is my experience so far:

- While waiting for my online orders to show up I started to shave using my Mach3 and Gillette gel using the 3-pass techniques I read about. I figured I had 20 years of muscle memory to break and using the tools I was comfortable with would be a good intro. In my mind, getting used to the light touch of a DE razor is the most important step for a newbie.

- My gear showed up (my father-in-law gave me money for Xmas so a big thanks to him for funding my start): Merkur 34C, Semogue 830, Lucky Tiger aftershave, Fine Platinum aftershave, Barrister & Mann Seville and Lavanille, Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm, a stand, and a variety pack of blades.

- My first 5 shaves were done with Gillette 7 o'clock Supers and I shredded my face each time and I couldn't figure out why. It was bad enough that I almost gave up. The shaves were close enough but the irritation and nicks were brutal. But I chalked it up to being new to DE shaving so pushed through.

- I made a switch to Derby blades and I'm getting the best shaves of my life now. My shave yesterday was after 3 days of no shaving and my face hasn't been that smooth in about 25 years (I'm normally a daily shaver). I think Derbys are great for newbies - they might not give the closest shave but they sure are forgiving while you gain experience.

- I need to read the ingredient labels on these "fancy" soaps closer. The ingredients are different, in a good way, from what I used to use. However, I ran into trouble with B&M Lavanille. I didn't realize it has cedar oil in it. I'm allergic to cedar. Needless to say, I now have a benchmark for the worst shave possible.

- I love face lathering. It feels great, is fun, and the OCD part of me loves to perfectly paint the lather on after building it up (no soap on my earlobes or nose, crisp lines across my cheeks and neck). It's a weird pet peeve but watching some of the YouTubers who are so perfect with their shaving technique get shaving cream EVERYWHERE drives me a little nutty!

I feel like I've turned a daily "task" into a hobby I look forward to each and every day. Every day starts off on a good note now. And the anticipation of new products arriving in the mail is fun - I've got Soap Commander Passion, and B&M Dickens and Cheshire showing up Monday!

Hello and welcome, Johnny. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Wow Johnny great start and first post. Thanks for the detailed introduction and welcome to B&B!
Where abouts in BC are you located?
Cheers
Stan

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to sharing and learning a lot here! This feels like a hobby where there's always something new to try, new to learn, and ways to keep improving the experience.

Welcome from Vancouver Island. I've recently found DE shaving and have learned a lot from everyone here. Have a good time with your new hobby.

Yellow Gillettes are a wickedly sharp blade, not really for every beginner, try a safer blade like your Derby, Lord Big Ben's are good too ... I have been DE shaving for a while and if I use a Gillette yellow after a long break from them I have go real slow ... until I get used to them, those and the Green Astra's are real, real sharp ..

So I have some of the Astras in the green box and I had seen them recommended for beginners due to their smoothness, but I've also seen warnings about their sharpness. So I'm a bit hesitant about them. Also in my drawer are Wilkinsons, blue Astras, Feathers, and Personna Platinum Reds. What do you guys think a good next tryout would be? I was leaning towards giving the Personnas a shot next.

Top Bottom