What's new

1st SR shave this morning

I will say I had intentions to shave for the first time last night, that said I had to readjust my plan and I woke up a bit earlier this morning to put some steel to skin!
I got up, cracked open an XS energy drink to help me get moving and jumped into the shower to get my face ready. While I showered I had my new 620 boar brush in some warm water.

My equipment:
$equip.jpg

I ringed out the brush and got a little lather going on the tips; finishing up the lathering on my face, actually the brush felt nice and it was relaxing (shortly after that I was not relaxed but I do agree, a blade to your throat does wake you up .:lol:
I had about 2 to 3 days of growth with some irritation from my modern razor which was still healing.
$pre.jpg

I ended up with a small cut on my right upper cheek and irritating some old razor burn which one spot did get nicked bleeding for about a second and then stopped so the Styptic pen wasn't used at all. Afterward my skin was red which I can only guess meant I needed my lather.
$just after.jpg

You will also see I irritated the old razor burn on my neck which doesn't surprise me, its very sensitive. I know with a modern razor I can only go with grain once, anything more and my neck is toast so its not the cleanest of neck shaves but being my first time I didn't go over the area a lot. The next picture is my face an hour later; alot better with noticeably less redness.
$final.jpg

Now there's no redness other than the burn that was healing from 3 or 4 days ago.

I did experiment a little; right side on my cheek I only went with the gain and left side with the gain, side ways and then against the gain. My right side I even try to even out the beard line with the tip and took off more than I wanted (USER ERROR :001_cool:). I don't have my left side pictured but that cheek has no noticeable hair when moving my hand over it and really is just as good with less irritation than a modern razor. I feel some stubble on my right check but that is to be expected... I did less on purpose. My neck, well that will be a lot more practice but all in all I think I did ok. The shave took just under 30 minutes and after doing one cheek I was put at ease. Holding the razor and keeping the right angle on my neck was challenging.
It was different / weird to hear and feel each hair being cut but it was so easy to tell when some effect was being applied so I knew when to reapply lather.

I can't wait for my poor mans strop to come in to complete the SR maintenance and go another round. I do thank everyone here for recommendations and tips.

A special thanks to Tim who not only helped me find a SR but honed it as well.

Round two...

Congrats on the shave, I found when I had a beard I had better luck with a DE/SE razor on my cheeks as I could never get it right without taking off more than I wanted, now that my beard is gone its fairly easy as I only have a mustache left.

Lance, sounds like a decent first shave. It'll take some practice, but you'll get there. Straight razors are the only ones that don't irritate my neck, so I'm hopeful it works out for you as well. Glad I could be of some assistance in getting you started.

You did great!
The front neck is not the easiest part to start with learning straight razor shaving.

You can try using an alum block and rinse of after 2 minutes, before applying lather.
After finish shaving rinse, apply alum block again and rinse after 2 minutes (when it starts to itch).
It may prevent the redness to some extent. Then there is always the question if alum is bad for the body….
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012/02/06/are-natural-alum-crystal-deodorants-safe/

Until you get the strop you can try stropping on an unused catalog or folded paper

$IMG_1919.jpg$IMG_1926.jpg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom