What's new

Looking for tobacco advice.

These were tobaccos in bags. Such as bugler, gambler, ect....

Ahhh.. ok. Yeah, most of those are RYO cig tobacco. I did have a positive experience with a bag of Smoker's Pride Rum, oddly enough. A friend was smoking it in his pipe, shared it, and it was actually a decently solid basic aro blend.

Just an update, I did some browsing today; I was intrigued by several, and settled on these blends to try. I like the captain black I found at the tobacco outlet, and took a chance on a tin of the same brand. Found the other two much cheaper in one ounce bags.
proxy.php

Nice :thumbup: . Haven't tried those. Been wanting to try the chocolate flake though.

Thanks. I'd intended to drive to Spring Hill today to look at a tobacco shop. However, they're closed sundays. Thought I'd order some to have in a few days, and stop in there next time I'm out somewhere close by.
The chocolate flake did sound good in the description, however I don't think I'd ever see a description reading, "this tastes terrible." For the price, I'll chance it and pass it along if I don't like it.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks. I'd intended to drive to Spring Hill today to look at a tobacco shop. However, they're closed sundays. Thought I'd order some to have in a few days, and stop in there next time I'm out somewhere close by.
The chocolate flake did sound good in the description, however I don't think I'd ever see a description reading, "this tastes terrible." For the price, I'll chance it and pass it along if I don't like it.

If you don't like it, then jar it up, and sit on it awhile. I was given some with a slight amount of age on it when I first started smoking. I bought some of it fresh when my aged sample was getting low and compared the two. The fresh stuff has more of a chocolaty flavor to it, but it's also more harsh and spicy. The aged stuff mellows out quite drastically has a less intense, but more creamy, chocolate taste to it. It's been a number of months since I've had it, but I don't remember it being super sweet either. One of those blends where non-aromatic smokers could tolerate the topping, but it's still enough for the aro smokers to be satisfied.

After going through a lot of tobacco. I enjoy Danish tobacco particularly W.O. Larsen. I find it to be a bit sweeter than English, but along the same lines. While every type of tobacco has its unique flavors, that is my pick.

Another thing to keep in mind, but many other will probably argue with me on.. the better it smells to others. The worse it tastes to the smoker. In other words I think flavored pipe tobacco taste funny. Just find a good blend.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That's a good idea. I know of a cigar shop that may carry pipes and tobaccos, but I should be able to find something more specialized in Nashville.

Uptown's was a great store when I was in Nashville, and I hear it still is. That's where I bought my first Savinelli. I remember that Elliston Place was a pretty good store, too. Both ought to be worth checking out.

...I found that the first couple of baccy's I tried that really grabbed hold were Carter Hall and Frog Morton Cellar.

I completely forgot about Frog Morton. One of my all times favorites, but so many blends to try I never went back. Ordering some now!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm kinda surprised the Carter Hall was a bit harsh, but you may not be used to pipe 'baccy yet. Or you may be puffing too hard or fast...or not. Take about a half to a full second to draw the puff slowly and gently. And don't worry about relights. Carter Hall is my go-to all day smoke.

For a recommendation for different styles of blends, I order online from smokingpipes. Links are to tobacco reviews. I only use that to see what's in a particular blend...the reviews of the tobaccos are all over the map due to people's different tastes.

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader...classic English that's not a latakia bomb.

Might as well pick up some Dunhill Nightcap also.

For a classic Virginia/Perique Escudo is nice.

For a fairly strong Virginia Dunhill Royal Yacht is nice for me.

A burley I like is C&D Burley Flake #3.

YMMV...greatly.

I'm kinda surprised the Carter Hall was a bit harsh, but you may not be used to pipe 'baccy yet. Or you may be puffing too hard or fast...or not. Take about a half to a full second to draw the puff slowly and gently. And don't worry about relights. Carter Hall is my go-to all day smoke.

For a recommendation for different styles of blends, I order online from smokingpipes. Links are to tobacco reviews. I only use that to see what's in a particular blend...the reviews of the tobaccos are all over the map due to people's different tastes.

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader...classic English that's not a latakia bomb.

Might as well pick up some Dunhill Nightcap also.

For a classic Virginia/Perique Escudo is nice.

For a fairly strong Virginia Dunhill Royal Yacht is nice for me.

A burley I like is C&D Burley Flake #3.

YMMV...greatly.

I have been getting better smokes with each bowl. I put the carter hall in a jar, as advised, and will try it again another day. I do want to buy the nightcap, and I'm not sure why I didn't go ahead and toss it in today......maybe I'll find it at uptowns when I go there.

The carter hall isn't bad, seems a touch harsh for me; but that may be the way I'm smoking it.
That's very strange to me that CH would be harsh. Its about the most mild mannered tobacco I've tried, so much so that its my standard to add to other blends I want to mellow out. But, this is a wildly YMMV hobby...your own experience is the only one that matters!

That's very strange to me that CH would be harsh. Its about the most mild mannered tobacco I've tried, so much so that its my standard to add to other blends I want to mellow out. But, this is a wildly YMMV hobby...your own experience is the only one that matters!

In hindsight I think I was cigarette smoking it. I was getting "tongue bite" I think it's called.

In hindsight I think I was cigarette smoking it. I was getting "tongue bite" I think it's called.
If that's true, you need to be extremely cautious with other blends. I recommend CH to newbies because its very difficult to get it to bite! If you could make Carter Hall bite you, Captain Black would...well...you wouldn't have a tongue anymore. :lol:

Excited to watch your journey and progress as you explore blends.

When I was starting out, one of the ways I reduced tongue bite while I was working on my technique was I would not fully form a seal around the stem, so I was getting like 1/3 outside air and 2/3 sips from the stem. Really helped me to not over draw on the pipe.

When I was starting out, one of the ways I reduced tongue bite while I was working on my technique was I would not fully form a seal around the stem, so I was getting like 1/3 outside air and 2/3 sips from the stem. Really helped me to not over draw on the pipe.

I do that all the time! Still get great flavor but the extra outside air really keeps you mouth cool too!

Uptown's was a great store when I was in Nashville, and I hear it still is. That's where I bought my first Savinelli. I remember that Elliston Place was a pretty good store, too. Both ought to be worth checking out.
[MENTION=106068]MichaelRB88[/MENTION], Uptown's is a great shop that is frequented by a bunch of pipe makers in the Nashville area. I know Joe Case goes there frequently. If Uptown's is like any other pipe shop I have been to, they will be more than helpful in suggesting not only blends made by the major brands, but they will have house blends that would be good for beginners as well. They would definitely be worth a look. You can find their web page here.

If that's true, you need to be extremely cautious with other blends. I recommend CH to newbies because its very difficult to get it to bite! If you could make Carter Hall bite you, Captain Black would...well...you wouldn't have a tongue anymore. :lol:

Excited to watch your journey and progress as you explore blends.

I've actually done great with captain black (white pouch). As I said, I seem to do better each time. Hopefully I'll be doing well by the time my tobaccos get here.

I think I'll grab a bowl of carter hall today and see if it's better for me.

[MENTION=106068]MichaelRB88[/MENTION], Uptown's is a great shop that is frequented by a bunch of pipe makers in the Nashville area. I know Joe Case goes there frequently. If Uptown's is like any other pipe shop I have been to, they will be more than helpful in suggesting not only blends made by the major brands, but they will have house blends that would be good for beginners as well. They would definitely be worth a look. You can find their web page here.

I actually have to be in Nashville over the weekend for a couple of days. I'll be sure to run by there. I intended to do it this past weekend, but couldn't find the time.

I'll try that out. I'm open to any suggestions.

Top Bottom