What's new

It isn't a Böker but what is it?

I don't buy many razor these days. But this one intrigued me. The auction pictures were really awfully bad. The blade was also covered with some sort of grease that the last user had covered it with to protect it (thank you whoever you were). I now see that I didn't manage to wipe it all off, well most of it is gone and revealed a really beautiful high quality razor. Look at the picture of the grinding (grease still left), when did you last see such a thin grind?

The razor was sold as being made by Söderen, which is rather obvious to anybody that it isn't, even if the box it came in is. I bidded and won (the equivalent of $20 shipping included). The reason I was interested was that I thought that it might be a high quality razor once cleaned. Furthermore the scales, blade shape and etching screamed out BÖKER but the "P" between half moons on the tang definitely isn't any to me recognizable brand. I've went through every to me known corner of the Internet trying to find information about this marking. So far I haven't found anything.

Therefore gentlemen I turn to you and your wast knowledge. I really like this razor and (as some of you know) I'm very keen about knowing the background story of my razors. Even if no one has any ideas I'm still very excited to have found this beautiful razor. Hopefully I'll find time to hone and shave with it in a not too far away future.

Have a nice evening gentlemen.

$20170119_171501.jpg$2017-01-19 17.15.26.jpg$2017-01-19 17.17.05.jpg$2017-01-19 17.19.11.jpg

Gebr Peters (Peters Brothers), Solingen. Don't know anything about them, except their mark was two moons with a P in between.

I first thought it was a Feist, as they had many 'Luna' brand, but the logo is different. The moon is rond, not crescent.
$Honed.jpg

Another possibility would be Roth-Büchner who held a Mond Extra trademark, but I don't see what the P would be in this case.

Thank you so much for all your kind answers.

I took another dive into the register of Solingen razor manufacturers. It was when I came to ERN and once again saw the multitude of brands that l realised that I never would get an answer. This especially since I know of two ERN brands that aren't in the list.

While Swedish razor manufacturers stuck to one brand some of the Solingen manufacturers changed brand names about as often as they changed underwear, meaning that a few of them actually stuck to one brand name.

I've come to the conclusion that the razor most likely was made sometime between the wars by skilled craftsmen that had the equipment to make gold etching (not too common then). It might have been made by Böker, but I guess we'll never know. I find that annoying but most of all I'm glad to have scored a very fine razor for less than the value of the scales. As soon as I've found time to hone it it will reappear in SOTD.

Once again: thank you. You're a very fine body of men that makes me proud of being a member at B&B (until I'm finally banned) [emoji39]

I reckon that your razor is around 1880-1890. I don't think it's as late as you think it is.

Thank you. If you say so I take your word for it, I have the deepest respect for your knowledge. What made me date it to 1918-1939 is the gold etching. Besides from that the shape of the blade and the scales indicates that it should be older. Then again my knowledge of etching techniques is very limited to say the least. 1880-1890 it is.

I was keeping an eye on that auction. Was busy working, so I missed it.
Congrats!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

According to a razor guide I have, etching first started becoming a common thing around 1830's-1840's. Gold wash started becoming common around 1850's. At this time most razors were still commonly wedge ground. In the 1860's this started to shift and by the 1870's most razors were hollow ground. In the 1880's ornately etched hollow ground blades with gold and silver washes were all the rage. In the 1890's ornately carved/molded celluloid and other material scales like yours became very popular. This 1880's/1890's trend continued through the early 1900's to about 1914, at which time German cutlery imports were halted and others were reduced due to the onset of WW1.

So I'd say the 1880's - 1890's would be a very valid guess, but the latter end of that range could be anywhere through 1914. Most likely it was not made after this.

Last edited:
According to a razor guide I have, etching first started becoming a common thing around 1830's-1840's. Gold wash started becoming common around 1850's. At this time most razors were still commonly wedge ground. In the 1860's this started to shift and by the 1870's most razors were hollow ground. In the 1880's ornately etched hollow ground blades with gold and silver washes were all the rage. In the 1890's ornately carved/molded celluloid and other material scales like yours became very popular. This 1880's/1890's trend continued through the early 1900's to about 1914, at which time German cutlery imports were halted and others were reduced due to the onset of WW1.

So I'd say the 1880's - 1890's would be a very valid guess, but the latter end of that range could be anywhere through 1914. Most likely it was not made after this.

That's is an excellent write-up. I have made a copy of it to keep. Thank you very much. I'll keep the razor as well. Actually the more I look at it the more I like if. IMO it's very elegant. With a bit of luck I might be able to have an hour to spare tomorrow to hone.

Top Bottom