What's new

Shaving cream face lathering

I had taken a break from shaving creams recently as I found face lathering with soaps to be more effective. Having never face lathered with a cream, I went back to an old failthful, TOBS grapefruit and for the first time, face lathered by placing 4 or five mini-dollops strategically located across my face. I worked these in with my brush and had an excellent shave. I had no huge amounts of lather..just enough for two passes but a great shave nonetheless. Next time I will add more cream to the face but do any of you prefer this method to bowl lathering for shaving cream? Does it really matter if the lather is whipped up in the bowl or worked in directly to the face?

I face lather with creams -- if it is in a tube like Proraso, I just squirt a dollop on top of my wet brush. If it is in a tub, I just load it the way I would load a soap, swirling my brush. Works for me.
I admit I am more partial to soaps versus creams, I just seem to get a better shave.

I spread a dollop of cream evenly across my wet whiskers, then face lather...usually with a brush I've loaded with soap for a super lather.

If the cream is in a tub I take a damp brush and load it directly on the brush. If the cream is in a tube, I put a bit directly on my face.

I face lather with creams -- if it is in a tube like Proraso, I just squirt a dollop on top of my wet brush. If it is in a tub, I just load it the way I would load a soap, swirling my brush. Works for me.
That's what I do and it works very well.

I load them like I do a soap, just with fewer (and lighter) swirls. With a soft cream, I may lightly twist the brush back & forth until I have enough evenly on the tips. I don't like smearing them on my brush or face. Too hard to judge the amount since I don't use them on a regular basis. I haven't used a tube in a long time, but small samples get put into a bowl and loaded like a soap for face lathering.

Bowl lathering is fine , but it always ends in a face lathering anyway.
There could be an argument for applying a bowl lather with paint brush strokes as not a true face lathering but who could resist some brush swirling on the face in the end to whip the lather a little more.

I don't have TOBS right now but when I did, I only needed a very small amount (like 1g) swirled on the tips of my brush and face lathered. Easily had enough for 3 passes.

I load from the container and go directly to my face. If the cream is in a tube I'll smear a bit on my chin and jaw and go from there.

I tend to do a combination of both though I always face lather when I'm away. I find if I'm a little bit pushed for time I'll just face lather.

I have a few Crabtree & Evelyn tube keys and I use one to scoop out a bit of cream from a tub, which I then apply to the brush. I'll then lather in the bowl for a bit before I continue lathering on the face.

I face lather everything, soaps and creams. With tub creams I just scoop out a bit on my finger and smear on the top of a wet brush. Tube creams i just squirt a bit onto the top of a wet brush. I have never put it directly on my face and built it from there as I just like the method I've always used.

A little dab on each side of my face. Paint brush strokes until cream is spread evenly. Then start face lathering.

Although I enjoy warm lather, I just don't like lathering in my scuttle or in a bowl, and always face lather, whether it's a cream or soap. I still enjoy warm lather with my brush scuttle.

I face lather everything. With a cream, I put a small dollop into the body of a damp brush and press it in. I then dip the tip of my brush into hot water and then face lather.

Top Bottom