What's new

First straight razor shave

G'day fellas, been a long time since I've used the forum.
I recently purchased a Dovo shavette to learn the technique and today was the day.
I watched numerous tutorials and followed a common process, with variations that felt comfortable to me. I found it to be an unreal experience and quite frightening at the same time. I struggled at first with not being able to see the razor in the mirror through my hand but managed to work out different angles to hold my head and got around that pretty quick.
I found going around the chin and the bottom of the jaw line the hardest. Managed four nicks which are still bleeding a bit :blushing:, one of them being where the heel nicked the Adam's apple whilst going down the left side of the throat.
Overall I'm pretty chuffed and already can't wait for the next one.
I just wish I'd started sooner!

Had my second one last night, really enjoying it.
Much more relaxed this time and found my way around the razor a bit easier on the trickier bits.

Congrads. Enjoy the ride. Its a bumpy road but it smooths out quickly if you learn from each day. Ive been at it for about 3-4 months now and am happy i went Straight. Now i think the family is not happy with my showers taking 30 minutes now days. But they will get over it.

As for your problem with the heel catching you. What kind of blades are you using? The ones in my feather are rounded on the corners to prevent this. If you are using a DE blade you're probably going to get that some more.

The heel catching me was a one off, just had my third shave and better again.
Discovered that the Dovo shavette blades for me are only good for two shaves.
One thing I'm struggling with is getting used to using my left hand for the left side of my face, which brings me to a question. Is it considered good practice or "proper" to follow a protocol when using a straight or is it ok to mix it up a bit to suit your personal preferences?
I can't wait now to get myself a proper straight, been looking at getting a nice second hand one to work on.

Top Bottom