What's new

Chosera 1K Question

I've been using the Chosera 1K for bevel setting. Sometimes I raise a slurry with a diamond plate, sometimes not. Just wondering if anyone ever uses a coticule slurry stone on the Chosera 1K to generate some slurry for bevel setting?

Thanks

I don't think it's necessary to raise a slurry on a chosera... just wet and go... a coticule slurry will likely be ineffective nominally effective because it's a higher grit than 1k

I somtimes raise a light DN slurry on the Chosera 1K if I need to cut fast like removing chips in the edge but not much and not long.

I've been using the Chosera 1K for bevel setting. Sometimes I raise a slurry with a diamond plate, sometimes not. Just wondering if anyone ever uses a coticule slurry stone on the Chosera 1K to generate some slurry for bevel setting?

Thanks
I have been using a coti slurry stone for years now and I like how it works. On the topic of slurry vs no slurry , it depends on how much work there is to be done and how fast one wants to do it. Slurry makes the process happen very fast.

I have been using a coti slurry stone for years now and I like how it works. On the topic of slurry vs no slurry , it depends on how much work there is to be done and how fast one wants to do it. Slurry makes the process happen very fast.

Roger that - thanks!

Never raised a slurry using a Coti on a Chosera 1k so i cant comment on any benefit. I do regularly start any bevel work with some slurry raised with a DMT or Atoma on the Chosera for the initial stages. Slurry is a bit faster imo and have tried it both ways. Either way all you will lose is a little time as the Chosera 1k is an awesome stone for setting bevels regardless of how you approach it.

Sometimes, I use a slurry stone cut from a Chosera 1k. It works well.

Never raised a slurry using a Coti on a Chosera 1k so i cant comment on any benefit. I do regularly start any bevel work with some slurry raised with a DMT or Atoma on the Chosera for the initial stages. Slurry is a bit faster imo and have tried it both ways. Either way all you will lose is a little time as the Chosera 1k is an awesome stone for setting bevels regardless of how you approach it.

Thanks, Gents!

We all use the Chosera 1k a little differently. Most suggest it is a splash and go stone, water only, no slurry. Well, my practice for the last few years for my Chosera 1k which happens to be on a stand is that I soak it for 5 or so minutes before starting, and I do half a dozen figure 8's on it with an Atoma 400, leaving a bit of slurry, and do that same thing for each razor. I like to start with a clean stone, and I don't need to set aside a time for lapping because of the regularity of the figure 8's. Seems to keep things in good order.

We all use the Chosera 1k a little differently. Most suggest it is a splash and go stone, water only, no slurry. Well, my practice for the last few years for my Chosera 1k which happens to be on a stand is that I soak it for 5 or so minutes before starting, and I do half a dozen figure 8's on it with an Atoma 400, leaving a bit of slurry, and do that same thing for each razor. I like to start with a clean stone, and I don't need to set aside a time for lapping because of the regularity of the figure 8's. Seems to keep things in good order.

I pretty much follow what you do except the presoak.

Now I've had a Chosera 1K for about a year and really never honed anything with a slurry till recently.
I just used it to clean then rinsed it off but I tried with the slurry off the block that comes with it and noticed it cut a bit faster but the big thing for me is the stone didn't load as fast.

I do want to compare edges and see if the is any big differences but so far with my loupe I don't see much.

Also I tried the Chosera rubbing stone on my Shapton Pro 1K and it helped that immensely with loading.
Does anyone know what grit the Chosera rubbing stone is?

The edge of the Shapton with slurry seemed fine but I don't think I would use the Chosera rubbing stone on anything much higher than 1K.

I will if I have a lot of steel to remove and while speed is a benefit the reason I'll raise a slurry is because it seems to prevent the stone from loading up as much. The swarf tends to bond with the loose abrasive rather than embedding its self into the hone. And like Gamma I use a slurry stone cut from the main Chsera 1k stone.

I think the slurry stone that comes with the Chosera is 3k.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
If your talking about the rub stone known as the brown turd, I think that it is 600 grit. I use it often for heavy work. I also slurry my 1k with my 3k Chosera. There is a huge difference in the cutting.

If you give the Chosera 1k a little presoak - about 5 minutes worth - it softens up a tiny bit, cuts faster (nearly as fast as when slurried because it starts to auto-slurry) and won't load up near as much. The Shapton Pro 1k, being considerably harder bound than the Chosera, does benefit a bit more from a little slurrying though.

I usually don't slurry my 1K Proffesional other than to leave a little after flattening, if I need more aggressiveness I just use my 800.

Top Bottom