What's new

Any help from the Lamy fans?

I recently got a Lamy Vista, I was excited about trying the pen but it's been nothing but problems since the beginning. First when I got it the tines didn't seem to be aligned and it wouldn't hardly write unless I basically held it with the nib to the right and at a steep angle. So being the fountain pen noob that I am went to youtube and aligned the tines to where it would write better. They seem at this point even with my magnifying glass to be good to go. But the nib seems loose and while writing sometimes I can feel the nib moving ever so slightly to one side and I fix it and before I know it it's back slightly crooked. I have taken it off and put it back on, nothing. Also the nib still don't write very well, hard starts predominantly, but also skips sometimes, and unless I give the pen an uncomfortable amount of pressure while writing it doesn't want to write well at all. Did I just get a dud or is it something I do doing wrong? The ink is J. Herbin ink and before that I was using Iroshizuku and it was having the same problems with that ink as well. Any thoughts? I do have another fountain pen (Twsbi) and it's been nothing but a dream and a pleasure to write with so I don't entirely think it's just something I am doing.

I think you must have gotten a dud, or there is something you have overlooked. I have two Vistas and a Safari with a half dozen interchangeable nibs. Each and every piece has been as reliable as the tide. I know that doesn't answer your question or really help, but it might give some insight into maybe it being a bad pen that slipped through quality control.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Is there a return policy where you got it from? The only issue is that an available return might be voided if you've messed with the nib.

I got it off amazon, about a little over a week ago. I was thinking maybe I got a dud as well

I think you must have gotten a dud, or there is something you have overlooked. I have two Vistas and a Safari with a half dozen interchangeable nibs. Each and every piece has been as reliable as the tide. I know that doesn't answer your question or really help, but it might give some insight into maybe it being a bad pen that slipped through quality control.

nice avatar; I am a traveling man as well

+1. Did you get the pen as NIB from a retailer through Amazon or from Amazon itself? I think some pens available from the Amazon warehouse are returns that Amazon resells, which would give me pause (why was it returned?). Like Traveling Man, I have two Lamy's, including a Safari that I bought a couple extra nibs for, and neither pen has given me a lick of trouble with any nib. At least with a Vista you haven't shelled out too much cash.

It could be an ink issue. Try cleaning out the feed and nib with water or cleaning solution. I believe the Lamys have a bit of test ink in them from the factory. You could also try buying another nib, they are interchangeable and cheap.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Since you got it off of Amazon, if you are a Prime member, I'd send it back. Or you might try emailing Lamy.

I've had problems with both a Safari and an Al Star. The Safari wrote very dry. The Al Star had misaligned tines, like yours, but it wrote well even before I aligned the tines. It's possible that the process of aligning the tines has loosened the fitting between the nib and the feed. The nib just slides onto the feed via two little tabs that wrap around slots on the feed. If those tabs get distorted at all, the nib won't fit snugly anymore. I actually find this design feature a little annoying. It makes for easy nib swaps, but it also is prone to the nib not fitting the feed securely.

I would send the pen back and ask for a replacement. For the most part, these pens are very durable and well made. I think you just got a dud.

Top Bottom