What's new

Bad habits? Experimenting with technique

Hi Everyone,

I'm still a total amateur with my DE shaving and seeking a bit of input about my technique. I feel like I have been doing great thus far. I think I am on something like my 10th or 12th shave at this point. Along the way, I really have not had any issues with razor burn, I have VERY seldomly even nicked myself. However, I have run into two concerns that I've recently been trying to work out via some revisions to my technique. Before I start any bad habits, I wanted to post to check with the experts if this is a horrible methodology. Anyway... a bit of a narrative about how I started and what I have recently begun doing.

Equipment:
Gillette Slim set to #2, currently with a Rapira Platium blade (started with 2 Astras, IIRC, for the first 8 or so shaves)
Razorock synthetic brush
Razorock soap (also tried out palmolive but I think I am too dumb to figure out how to load it properly on the brush, I prefer the scent of the RR, and the palmolive didnt really seem any better anyway, trying to keep the soap consistent, and practicing lathering technique)

Original Technique:
I tried to, more or less, follow the approach that Mantic demonstrates in some of his videos for a new DE shaver. Basically, apply lather to full face, do one pass down. Rinse/Re-lather and shave across. Rinse/Re-Lather and shave across in the other direction. Rinse/Re-Lather and do a pass shaving up. So four passes total.

For the most part this worked pretty well for me. Like I said, no irritation. Pretty close shave but not SUPER close. After shaving I could feel some areas with a tiny bit of stubble but the shave was overall closer than I'd get with a cartridge. I was hoping to get an even closer shave but the bigger issue for me was that it was just too time consuming for my morning pre-work routine. Weekends when I could really take some time... sure. But each morning before work, if I was (invariably) running a bit behind schedule I'd have this nagging thought that I should just use a cartridge to save time.

New Technique:
So here is what I tried to do today and yesterday. Seemed to get me both a faster and closer shave and my face seems to be no worse for the wear in terms of irritation (ie. really none).

Lather my whole face. Basically, the idea is rather than doing a single stroke with each lather, I am doing the down and two cross strokes on the first lather. In one small area, I will do a down stroke and then two quick light cross strokes in the same general area without re-lathering. Shorter strokes than I had been doing in my original technique but 3 passes on one lather. This seems to be readily doable on my cheeks and chin. I can do it on my jaw line and mustache if I am particularly careful. At the moment, I dont think I can do it on my neck without causing irritation, so I am still re-lathering for multiple passes on my neck. Anyway, once that is done, I do a full re-lather and do the last upstroke. I haven't timed it yet, but this seems to be a decent amount quicker than my original technique and, interestingly, seems to also give me a closer shave (not sure why, exactly).

So the reason for my post is to ask whether this new technique is a terrible idea? Am I forming bad habits? I have not done a MASSIVE amount of research on the forums but I am not aware of others doing anything quite like what I seem to be doing.

Any input would be much appreciated!

thanks!

You know, I've done the same and it does work out fine if you have a well produced slick lather. A dry lather with this technique probably wouldn't be your friend. I don't really think it's a bad habit by any means. Think about it this way, your shave is what you make of it. If in the weekends you want to take your time and make a slow 3 pass shave with a hot towel and a nice long shower, that's great! If during the week you need to improvise more, take a quick shower and only do a quick two pass shave, I couldn't blame you at all. You will get better at your angles of attack and much faster as you practice more.
The Palmolive shave soap is slightly tricky in stick form, but it can produce a quick slick lather when you face Lather. I'd suggest rubbing it on your face until you see a good amount of soap on your face. Then with a slightly damp brush start lathering and adding water. It usually explodes rather quickly unless you loaded way too much on to your face. Then it just takes a bit longer.
I'm really glad you're working on your technique and asking good questions! I hope I helped answering your original question. lol
Have a great day
Matt

If it works, go for it. That said, anytime you shave without lather, even going over a spot, you run the risk of irritation. I've found I can "get by" if my face still has residual slickness and my razor is wet, but I've also done this and come away with irritation on my neck. Not always, but enough to know it's a risk.

As to speed, it will come with time. The shave that took me twenty minutes or more starting out - a three-pass XTG, WTG, ATG - now takes me about twelve, all without trying to shave faster.

Gents, as always, many thanks for the input and validation! I'll keep you all apprised of my progress. Thus far, seems to be going QUITE a bit better than I could have anticipated.

Gents, as always, many thanks for the input and validation! I'll keep you all apprised of my progress. Thus far, seems to be going QUITE a bit better than I could have anticipated.

You outta open that hog up to #5 or 6 and live life on the wild side! You might find a bit more aggressive blade gap more efficient as well! :)

The watchword around here is to do what works best for you. Everybody is different, so I'm glad to see that you're experimenting, as that is the only way to discover what does work the best.

Hi Everyone,

I'm still a total amateur with my DE shaving and seeking a bit of input about my technique. I feel like I have been doing great thus far. I think I am on something like my 10th or 12th shave at this point. Along the way, I really have not had any issues with razor burn, I have VERY seldomly even nicked myself. However, I have run into two concerns that I've recently been trying to work out via some revisions to my technique. Before I start any bad habits, I wanted to post to check with the experts if this is a horrible methodology. Anyway... a bit of a narrative about how I started and what I have recently begun doing.

Equipment:
Gillette Slim set to #2, currently with a Rapira Platium blade (started with 2 Astras, IIRC, for the first 8 or so shaves)
Razorock synthetic brush
Razorock soap (also tried out palmolive but I think I am too dumb to figure out how to load it properly on the brush, I prefer the scent of the RR, and the palmolive didnt really seem any better anyway, trying to keep the soap consistent, and practicing lathering technique)

Original Technique:
I tried to, more or less, follow the approach that Mantic demonstrates in some of his videos for a new DE shaver. Basically, apply lather to full face, do one pass down. Rinse/Re-lather and shave across. Rinse/Re-Lather and shave across in the other direction. Rinse/Re-Lather and do a pass shaving up. So four passes total.

For the most part this worked pretty well for me. Like I said, no irritation. Pretty close shave but not SUPER close. After shaving I could feel some areas with a tiny bit of stubble but the shave was overall closer than I'd get with a cartridge. I was hoping to get an even closer shave but the bigger issue for me was that it was just too time consuming for my morning pre-work routine. Weekends when I could really take some time... sure. But each morning before work, if I was (invariably) running a bit behind schedule I'd have this nagging thought that I should just use a cartridge to save time.

New Technique:
So here is what I tried to do today and yesterday. Seemed to get me both a faster and closer shave and my face seems to be no worse for the wear in terms of irritation (ie. really none).

Lather my whole face. Basically, the idea is rather than doing a single stroke with each lather, I am doing the down and two cross strokes on the first lather. In one small area, I will do a down stroke and then two quick light cross strokes in the same general area without re-lathering. Shorter strokes than I had been doing in my original technique but 3 passes on one lather. This seems to be readily doable on my cheeks and chin. I can do it on my jaw line and mustache if I am particularly careful. At the moment, I dont think I can do it on my neck without causing irritation, so I am still re-lathering for multiple passes on my neck. Anyway, once that is done, I do a full re-lather and do the last upstroke. I haven't timed it yet, but this seems to be a decent amount quicker than my original technique and, interestingly, seems to also give me a closer shave (not sure why, exactly).

So the reason for my post is to ask whether this new technique is a terrible idea? Am I forming bad habits? I have not done a MASSIVE amount of research on the forums but I am not aware of others doing anything quite like what I seem to be doing.

thanks!

"He Shoots......... He Scòoooores!!!!! :a50::shaving::a14:
If it works, don't change a thing.....

You outta open that hog up to #5 or 6 and live life on the wild side! You might find a bit more aggressive blade gap more efficient as well! :)

Haha, I've been trying to hold back from doing just that! I am probably going to give it just a bit more time before I start dialing it up a little (at least to see how it goes). I've read some horror stories about amateurs like me hacking themselves up with more aggressive setups so I'm trying to be a bit patient. Having said that the temptation is burgeoning and all this subtle peer pressure about the #2 setting is going to start influencing me for sure! Next thing I know, even my wife'll be on my case about getting soft in my old age (no jokes fellas, everything works great). I kid, I kid...

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Haha, I've been trying to hold back from doing just that! I am probably going to give it just a bit more time before I start dialing it up a little (at least to see how it goes). I've read some horror stories about amateurs like me hacking themselves up with more aggressive setups so I'm trying to be a bit patient. Having said that the temptation is burgeoning and all this subtle peer pressure about the #2 setting is going to start influencing me for sure! Next thing I know, even my wife'll be on my case about getting soft in my old age (no jokes fellas, everything works great). I kid, I kid...

Thanks again for all the feedback.
:lol:

As said above, I would gradually increase the settings rather than do so many passes. Also, do some touch ups on areas that have some stubble rather than reshave your entire face or neck.

I would just say, watch the number of strokes you take without lather. I think my process is similar to yours. All it takes is running my wet fingers across the area I just shaved and that ensures it's slick for the next stroke.

Good luck and continued success.

Agreed with the caveat that you take it one step at a time. Go from 2 to 3 for a few shaves, then 3 to 4 for a few more, etc. I use my Slim set at 6 and find it a perfect compromise, for me. YMMV, however.

Welcome! Whatever works is just fine. Sharing your experience can help others with their learning curves.

Hi Everyone,

Equipment:
Razorock synthetic brush

Original Technique:

New Technique:

thanks!

The only thing I would add is to go without shaving a couple days and notice the direction the whiskers are growing on your face. With this knowledge you can attack the areas you have left over stubble.

With time and experience you will shave more economically. In other words you will make fewer strokes and shave in the right direction to get all whiskers off. Fewer strokes mean less irritation.

Map your beard. 3 passes should be plenty. Most of the time I only do two. And definitely kick that razor up to 5 at least.

Top Bottom