What's new

BOOKMATCHED Burl Scales PIF!

Good evening gentlemen,

Up for PIF is a set of burl scale blanks (walnut or maple). I have been lucky enough to come into some beautiful burls and have more than I need so I will be PIFing out a set. The Walnut blanks are ~1/8"x 1 3/4" x 7". The Maple blanks are ~1/8" x 1 1/4" x 8". I am not a carpenter (but sometimes I pretend to be one) so the cuts are a little rough and thicknesses may vary. I was able to do a decent job of bookmatching though (I must admit I am quite proud of that :biggrin1:). I will run this PIF until 21 Jan 2017. Now on to the pics!:thumbup1:

WALNUT (these have an amazing grain to them)

$IMG_0138.jpg

MAPLE (I do not know what particular species of maple these are)

$IMG_0141.jpg

And now, on to the RULES!

RULE #1:
There really are no rules. This is open to all (for CONUS I will cover the cost of shipping priority mail) but if you are an international winner I would ask you to cover the cost of shipping and help me with the customs restrictions to your country.

RULE #2: (Why are you still reading the rules, I said there wasn't any). While not a rule (because there aren't any, like I already said. DON'T YOU LISTEN?!) posting a picture of the razor you plan to put these on just may bump you up on the selection list.

RULE#3:
(Seriously, again with the rules???) Have fun and good luck!!!

Oh yeah, there's just one catch! I said I will be PIFing out "A" set. There are 8 sets pictured (for those that were paying attention) meaning...

I will be PIFing out 8 sets :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

p.s. If you post whether you would like walnut or maple that helps too.

I'm in. I have a Wosty blade that needs new scales. I think the maple would be perfect. This would be my first try, though.

I'm in...thank you!
This is my first restoration project and so far has just been disassembled and polished with #0000 steel wool and polishing compound. Next I will start sanding with 800 grit to get a sense of the severity of the pitting.

$IMG_0107.jpg

$IMG_0176.jpg$IMG_0177.jpg
However, I also have a G. Wostenholm Pipe razor that might be a better candidate for such beautiful material. I picked it up at a thrift store yesterday for $7.50 and the scales appear to be a loss. Perhaps this should be the recipient?

I'm in...thank you!
This is my first restoration project and so far has just been disassembled and polished with #0000 steel wool and polishing compound. Next I will start sanding with 800 grit to get a sense of the severity of the pitting.

View attachment 717457

View attachment 717464View attachment 717465
However, I also have a G. Wostenholm Pipe razor that might be a better candidate for such beautiful material. I picked it up at a thrift store yesterday for $7.50 and the scales appear to be a loss. Perhaps this should be the recipient?

Love those Pipe razors. A few got away from me on the bay :bored:

i am in, ive got 5 razors that will need some nice scales, 4 from my franken-razor set, and my GD that i was going to enter into the mod contest last year.

What the heck, I'm in. I think some of that walnut would look pretty sharp on this old Clauss. Thanks for the chance!

$DSC_0002.jpg

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
This is a great PIF! I'm not in because I'm not crafty enough to make a set of scales, but well done! :thumbup:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thank you for your generosity! I'm in! I have no preference over walnut or maple. They both can look very good with the right finish or stain.

I am in, I have never tried making scales and only have simple tools but would love to give it a try, no preference on which set, there are nothing wrong with these but kinda plain so was thinking of trying to make an exact duplicate of the scales it now wears but out of a nice wood.

$IMG_9305.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom