What's new

BBS ...myth or reality?

I've been shaving DE for about 6 months now, love it and love the B&B. I have one question for anybody who wants to answer. How often do you really go for BBS? I'm very satisfied with most of my shaves, but for me to go BBS I have to do 4 passes, and lots of touch up- blade buffing, J-hooking, etc. And while I may be splitting rather than removing hairs here, no matter how well my shave goes, if I run my fingers over my entire face , I can always find some minute amount of stubble- chin, neck, etc. Since we're not cutting below the surface with our DE's, what is everyone's criteria for BBS?

Hmmm..I can only speak for myself here...but to me BBS means just that...I can touch every part of my face and it's slick as an Eeel...I pretty much get this every day with 3 passes. It just takes time, practice, Prep, and finding that perfect Razor/Blade/Cream that works for you. I recently added a very old Aristocrat to my rotation and I am getting Ultra BBS...if there is such a term:wink:
Keep at it my friend. It is truly a wonderful feeling. (pun intended:biggrin:)

Regards,

I agree with Smoke. For me, it's not BBS unless my entire face and neck is smooth. Usually, I do 3 passes and a bit of touching up. Sometimes, there are still a few slightly stubbly bits, but that's down to still being fairly new at this.

I agree with Smoke and Sebby..My technique continues to improve..It takes 4 passes and touchups to get there..Knowing that I resign myself to take the time needed to get the results desired..Be encouraged I see improvement every week..Like anything else IMHO confidence and expectations are factors..YMMV..

May all of your shaves be smooth

I have no interest in BBS shaving. I get a close comfortable shave using two WTG passes and a bit of touch-up. When short on time I get a presentable shave with one pass.

I guess it's a personal thing. To some, it's about reducing the hair, whilst to others, it's about having no hair! I fall into the latter. :wink:

I agree with Rich. I do not try for a BBS every shave. I have found that if i go after every single hair with the sole intention of a BBS shave then i pay the price with serious razor burn. So i just enjoy my shaves and i am happy with the very close shaves i get. On a few days i do get a true BBS shave without trying for it and that is a welcome bonus. Perfect your technique and enjoy your shaves.

I do pretty much one pass, then go back over any area where I can still feel stubble. I find that it really varies with where I am in the life-cycle of the blade. Typically, I get smoothest one-pass shaves the second and third time I use the blade. Subsequent shaves with the same blade fall off. By the sixth shave I am requiring two or more passes. Then I discard the blade and use a fresh one. But my version of a "pass" may be unorthodox. I start at my left sideburn, do TWO strokes down my cheek, move to the right sideburn, two strokes down the cheek, do the same thing under my lower lib and my chin, then left neck and right neck. That is a "pass" to me. Really two passes?

It usually takes four passes and some cleanup but I really do get a BBS smooth shave where there is no feeling of stubble anywhere.

Top Bottom