What's new

Help! Can't find moustache wax.

I'm on an island with limited supplies. I can't find mustache wax anywhere.

I've tried a couple hair gels and a pomade and they don't work. Are there any other substitutes?

Can I make my own out of common ingredients?

Thanks.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
KJ, in my experience hair pomades, even the extra strong ones, are still too weak for my handlebar - hence only a good moustache wax can really do the job. Any chance to order on-line and have it shipped there?

No time for that, I won't be here long enough. But I need something to train some errant whiskers that are growing straight down my lip instead of to the side.

I should say the the "pomade" I used was actually got2b glued spiking wax (not really a wax). And after reading a few moustache wax posts here, it seems well recommended. But it's not enough for what I need.

You can make your own with beeswax and another additive to soften the wax. I've seen receipts with petroleum jelly, coconut oil, etc. The problem is going to be locating them on the island. I ordered the supplies to make my own over the net, but as you said you don't have the time. If you find a local bee keeper you may be in luck.

I've seen those recipes. They involve melting the beeswax in something. Staying in a hotel, I don't have access to any cooking utensils or even a microwave.

I know, I'm really making this hard, huh?

Well, someone told me about American Crew's Fiber, and it was much firmer than Got2b so I bought it.

Then, on the way back to my hotel, I found a Rexall Drug. They had one tube of Clubman Wax! So I lucked out on my search. Hope this does what I need it to.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Glad to hear KJ! I need to try the Clubman one day. If you are interested in a VERY strong moustache wax from the US you should consider Can You Handlebar Secondary. Amazing.

I have to second the "Can You Handlebar Secondary". I use that for really getting things in place. But my normal wax routine is "Stache Bomb" in the middle and "Capt Fawcetts" for the ends.

But in a pinch and limited supplies, elmers glue will do the trick as a quick fix.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have to second the "Can You Handlebar Secondary". I use that for really getting things in place. But my normal wax routine is "Stache Bomb" in the middle and "Capt Fawcetts" for the ends.

But in a pinch and limited supplies, elmers glue will do the trick as a quick fix.

Sir, can you tell me more about Stache Bomb, please? My all time favourite wax at the moment is Captain Fawcett Sandalwood (glass jar), which has an excellent hold, excellent scent at, being rather soft and pliable, it's easy to apply. How does Stache Bomb compare?

Sir, can you tell me more about Stache Bomb, please? My all time favourite wax at the moment is Captain Fawcett Sandalwood (glass jar), which has an excellent hold, excellent scent at, being rather soft and pliable, it's easy to apply. How does Stache Bomb compare?
Sure thing. I don't like the sandalwood scent but that is just my preference.

Stache Bomb is a softer wax and (for me) does not provide the hold to curl my ends. The website describes the scent as "piney" but I don't get "piney" out of it. The scent is not unpleasant and does not last too long. The hold is light and I use it mainly to keep the hairs under control. It comes in a 1oz tin and I am almost done with this one. Once done, I will try something else. I have one picked out called Grave before Shave Cigar Blend mustache wax.

I agree that the Capt Fawcett has a very nice hold. The CanYouHandlebar has a great hold as well. If you are looking for a wax with a solid hold, take a look at "Bounder extra firm hold" wax. Small tin but does not take much! That is my special occasion wax.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sure thing. I don't like the sandalwood scent but that is just my preference.

Stache Bomb is a softer wax and (for me) does not provide the hold to curl my ends. The website describes the scent as "piney" but I don't get "piney" out of it. The scent is not unpleasant and does not last too long. The hold is light and I use it mainly to keep the hairs under control. It comes in a 1oz tin and I am almost done with this one. Once done, I will try something else. I have one picked out called Grave before Shave Cigar Blend mustache wax.

I agree that the Capt Fawcett has a very nice hold. The CanYouHandlebar has a great hold as well. If you are looking for a wax with a solid hold, take a look at "Bounder extra firm hold" wax. Small tin but does not take much! That is my special occasion wax.

Bounder is a wax that my barbershop has in stock, so I will definitely try this one! Just a quick question about it: is the texture of this wax rock hard as Can You Handlebar Secondary or is it still pliable? Thank you!

Bounder is a wax that my barbershop has in stock, so I will definitely try this one! Just a quick question about it: is the texture of this wax rock hard as Can You Handlebar Secondary or is it still pliable? Thank you!

Bounders is fairly pliable. You may have to warm it up a little but nowhere near what needs to be done with "Can You Handlebar". Just make sure you close up the Bounders tin tightly, you don't want that drying out!

Top Bottom