What's new

Would you recommend TOBS?

Pretty new to wet shaving. I love it so far and have had great shaves recently so I'm thinking my technique is down.

I just ordered the coconut scent of TOBS which comes in on Friday.

What are your thoughts on those creams? For 12 bucks I thought it was a steal and ordered it.

I've tried Stirling Bay Rum and it's preformed well. I have AOS (my first cream) which is ok. It smells much better than it preforms in my opinion.

I'm really just interested in trying a few creams or soaps but would like recommendations.

I started wet shaving to reduce irritation and save money. So far all I've done is reduce irritation :)

I am a fan of TOBS. I have had the Sandalwood and Cedarwood scents. The only creams that have come close are the new Captain's Choice creams. I will definitely be ordering more of both.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Great to hear. I was getting worried because of "experienced" wet shavers avoiding TOBS.

Have any soaps you'd recommend?

$fullsizeoutput_7c1.jpg

My favorite creams are TOBS and Proraso, with a very slight edge to TOBS.
My current two TOBS creams in rotation are Eton College and Avocado.
Both create wonderful bowl lathers with my Simpson's Colonel X2L.

Great to hear. I was getting worried because of "experienced" wet shavers avoiding TOBS.

Have any soaps you'd recommend?
I absolutely love TOBS. However, if you are looking for other soaps or creams, my favorite is Haslinger. I haven't found anything better, regardless of cost. I also am found of DR Harris. I received a sample of the soaps and was very impressed.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Experienced wet shaver here telling you that TOBS is great. I find it to be easier to lather than AOS. Proraso is another cheap but goodie. I like the green one because it has menthol. Arko is another budget cream thats fantastic and it comes in a few scents just like Proraso

$IMG_1823.jpg

And here's the TOBS Eton College with my Simpson's Colonel X2L -- Pretty perfect !
This is what's left after the third pass -- the lather is still rich and creamy.

Last edited:
TOBS is a fine cream that enjoys of lots fans in the wet shaving world. Regardless of what other people think, the only thing that matters is it works for you. Of the ones that I've tried, I'm partial to Mr. Taylor.

Enjoy your coconut

I started with tobs and got the sample kit from west coast shaving. I love being able to change scents every day as well as testing them all. It has been a great way to test how the different scent smell on me with out having to commit to a whole tub

ABSOLUTELY !!! My very 1st wet shaving gift when I discovered the traditional way of shaving back in 2012 was Taylor of Old Bond
Street Sandalwood Shave Cream. It was a gift from my beautiful wifey. Til this day... it is my favorite Sandalwood cream and this
is coming from a shave soap guy. Something about the stout cologne-like scent of TOBS Sandalwood that I love so much. The
performance of this soap is superior. It is probably the easiest cream or soap to lather in my opinion. Thumbs up to TOBS !!!

WARHAWK

I'm considering getting the TOBS grapefruit for my wife, and possibly myself to try. Could be a good choice.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Bought Tobs Coconut a while back and only shaved with it a handful of times, very artificial scent and an irritant to my uber sensitive skin.. although i find their Sandalwood and Lavender scents ok. Can't recommend not trying the Coconut scent though, because: no two humans share the same skin or ingredient allergies.

TOBS Coconut is the only soap/cream that my skin has ever had a bad reaction to in 6 years of shaving.
Made me burn like crazy and turn red. I have however used a sample of TOBS rose and it didn't irritate my skin at all. Pretty weird. The performance of that sample must've been good if it made me order a full tub of coconut. The lather is incredible. I still use it to destink new brushes.

TOBS is a fine performer, but I haven't had the courage to risk purchasing another tub after the Coconut incident.
Shame, really, because I've heard great things about the Grapefruit scent.

Let us know how it treats you!

I disliked both TOBS lavender and rose; I gave them away. I thought the scents were off. However, I do like their grapefruit, for aroma as well as performance.

A fine cream, of which I've tried several scents, my favourite being the St James Collection Luxury. However, a tube of Proraso Blue performs just as well for me for a quarter of the price, so you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Taylors is a great classic brand and makes some of the finest UK creams. Excellent choice, Sir. :thumbup1:

TOBS Coconut is the only soap/cream that my skin has ever had a bad reaction to in 6 years of shaving.
Made me burn like crazy and turn red. I have however used a sample of TOBS rose and it didn't irritate my skin at all. Pretty weird. The performance of that sample must've been good if it made me order a full tub of coconut. The lather is incredible. I still use it to destink new brushes.

TOBS is a fine performer, but I haven't had the courage to risk purchasing another tub after the Coconut incident.
Shame, really, because I've heard great things about the Grapefruit scent.

Let us know how it treats you!

This is interesting. TOBS Sandlewood is the only shave soap I have ever had a bad reaction to. Had some irritation and turned my skin red. After using it one day a friend remarked, "Wow. Were you out in the sun too long today?" Prior to this I never had any kind of reaction to any soap or cream.

I regularly use TOBS Sandalwood cream, as well as, Proraso blue and green. Those 3 are are my favorite shaving creams. I also use TOBS Rose on occasion and get an excellent shave from that also.

Top Bottom