What's new

Parker Variant - Tightening it too much?

I received the Parker Variant and stupid me tightened it a little too hard and realized that it now goes beyond the original tightening point of 1, more towards the 5 symbol. Tightening it makes the razor less aggressive. I am wondering if anyone has done this with the variant or other adjustables and if I have to worry about decreased performance or even a broken mechanism. It seems to adjust just fine but I assume I threw the dial alignment off. See picture in the link for what I am talking about. Also to note, I didn't tighten it as hard as I could but I did nudge it along a little not realizing I was looking at the dial from the wrong direction (side without the dot)

https://imgur.com/gpYjZlT

I posted this on reddit and people there believe the device should still be working just fine but I figured I'd broaden my audience. This is my first post so be nice :)

If the Variant is anything like the Merkur Progress, loosening the TTO knob will increase blade gap and thus blade exposure. Tightening decreases blade gap and exposure, making the razor feel milder.

If the Variant is anything like the Merkur Progress, loosening the TTO knob will increase blade gap and thus blade exposure. Tightening decreases blade gap and exposure, making the razor feel milder.

Thank you for your reply. I am interested in if I broke the mechanism by tightening (making it milder) it too much, not so much on how the device works. But I was unsure of how it worked a last night :)

It's supposed auto calibrate when u take it apart and put it back together as long as the head is aligned with mark. Full disclosure - I broke mine. The dial with numbers and the thumb knob dial separated.

Took more pictures that illustrate the issue. You can tell by the blade gap between the two sides not being even there's an issue. Ughhh this sucks lol. I loved this thing for the day I had it

https://imgur.com/a/ukdNn

Did you loosen the mechanism and remove the top cap? If you haven't, do so. Replace the top cap with no blade in the razor and tighten down snugly, not bam-bam strength. You should get a reading between 5+ and 1. Release tension, take cap off again and this time insert a blade. Tighten again snugly, again not bam-bam like. You should be close to the 1 setting plus or minus a mm or 2. As stated above, the Variant is self adjusting. You should be good...

Did you loosen the mechanism and remove the top cap? If you haven't, do so. Replace the top cap with no blade in the razor and tighten down snugly, not bam-bam strength. You should get a reading between 5+ and 1. Release tension, take cap off again and this time insert a blade. Tighten again snugly, again not bam-bam like. You should be close to the 1 setting plus or minus a mm or 2. As stated above, the Variant is self adjusting. You should be good...

Thanks for the tip, it still didn't change the resting position of the dial, which is still almost at the 5 when twisted snug (not bam bam).

It can only adjust down so much. It's got a limit to how mild it can get. I think the only thing about attempting to tighten it down more is stripping the threads which would truly destroy the razor. Your photo is at the mildest setting.

Thanks for the tip, it still didn't change the resting position of the dial, which is still almost at the 5 when twisted snug (not bam bam).
Ok. Do you have a pair of long nose or pc board pliers? Either will work for what you will want to do next. If you don't mind pulling your Variant apart that is. Unscrew the adjustment knob and remove the top plate. Next, pull the adjustment dial straight out, using a little force as you see below in pic 1:
Pic 1
$IMG_0139.jpg

Next, you will see a "c" retainer clip. Bic blue pen cap is pointing at it. See pic 2 below for reference. That clip must be seated precisely between the 2 shoulder indentations or shoulder stops. The "c" clip should spin freely and not be compressed in that recess. Nor should it be resting on either the top or bottom shoulder stops. If it is, move the clip into the cut out space and make sure it spins freely.
Pic 2
$IMG_0140.jpg

If your ok there, check the base plate and pressure plate are even across with equal gap space. See pic 3 below:
Pic 3
$IMG_0145.jpg

Compress that plate with your finger or fingers and make sure that the plate returns back evenly and the internal spring is compressing properly and returning back to the same position uncompressed. See pic 4 below:
Pic 4
$IMG_0141.jpg

If the tension or pressure plate returns to its original position and all is even and square, reassemble the razor without inserting a blade. Now, the "c" clip has to be compressed or squeezed so that you can get the assembly back into the handle. That's where the pliers come in handy. It can be done with your fingers, but it will take a bit longer. Tighten it to where it is nice and snug. No He-Man strength, but firm. Observe your dial reading. See pic 5 below:
Pic 5
$IMG_0142.jpg

Ok. Do you have a pair of long nose or pc board pliers? Either will work for what you will want to do next. If you don't mind pulling your Variant apart that is. Unscrew the adjustment knob and remove the top plate. Next, pull the adjustment dial straight out, using a little force as you see below in pic 1:
Pic 1
View attachment 717405

Next, you will see a "c" retainer clip. Bic blue pen cap is pointing at it. See pic 2 below for reference. That clip must be seated precisely between the 2 shoulder indentations or shoulder stops. The "c" clip should spin freely and not be compressed in that recess. Nor should it be resting on either the top or bottom shoulder stops. If it is, move the clip into the cut out space and make sure it spins freely.
Pic 2
View attachment 717406

If your ok there, check the base plate and pressure plate are even across with equal gap space. See pic 3 below:
Pic 3
View attachment 717407

Compress that plate with your finger or fingers and make sure that the plate returns back evenly and the internal spring is compressing properly and returning back to the same position uncompressed. See pic 4 below:
Pic 4
View attachment 717410

If the tension or pressure plate returns to its original position and all is even and square, reassemble the razor without inserting a blade. Now, the "c" clip has to be compressed or squeezed so that you can get the assembly back into the handle. That's where the pliers come in handy. It can be done with your fingers, but it will take a bit longer. Tighten it to where it is nice and snug. No He-Man strength, but firm. Observe your dial reading. See pic 5 below:
Pic 5
View attachment 717411

Then install a blade into the razor, and tighten it back up and check your # setting again. You should be close, and with even blade and gap exposure on both sides as in the pic below:
$IMG_0144.jpg

If not and you still have the same calibration issue, it could be the internal spring could have been compromised and over stressed while you were adjusting your blade setting.... Can't help with that one. Might have to call up the vendor and explain your dilemma. Good luck.

Then install a blade into the razor, and tighten it back up and check your # setting again. You should be close, and with even blade and gap exposure on both sides as in the pic below:
View attachment 717420

If not and you still have the same calibration issue, it could be the internal spring could have been compromised and over stressed while you were adjusting your blade setting.... Can't help with that one. Might have to call up the vendor and explain your dilemma. Good luck.

God dammmit. Tried your steps and still same result. I believe the middle plate that is spring loaded is off balance. See below link for pictures of the unevenness. I used this side for judgement instead of the side with the arrrow because the arrow created an optical illusion of unevenness. Is yours this uneven from the same side or do you think that is my problem? I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Hopefully geofatboy realises I gave it my all before echsncing it. ****ty thing is is the black is out of stock so I can't even do an even exchange. Really sucks.

https://imgur.com/a/7WgFD

God dammmit. Tried your steps and still same result. I believe the middle plate that is spring loaded is off balance. See below link for pictures of the unevenness. I used this side for judgement instead of the side with the arrrow because the arrow created an optical illusion of unevenness. Is yours this uneven from the same side or do you think that is my problem? I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Hopefully geofatboy realises I gave it my all before echsncing it. ****ty thing is is the black is out of stock so I can't even do an even exchange. Really sucks.

https://imgur.com/a/7WgFD
I saw the pics in the link, and I think your assessment is right. The plate that provides the tension for the blade could be slightly askew. The internal spring rides on a internal recess in the handle, and the spring could be off alignment from within and not allowing your adjustment plate to seat evenly. All it would take is 1mm or 2 to throw your settings of and even worse, your blade won't align properly. Don't know what to tell you amigo. Tough spot here. I checked mine to see if it was uneven, and I'm a pusky hair off. But it doesn't throw my blade off, I'm all square. Maybe the tolerances are off slightly on your razor. There is a thread in here where a few gents who purchased the Variant suffered from problems very similar to yours. A couple of them got straight up exchanges through the vendor, which I believe was Super Safety Razors. That's where I purchased mine from. Geofatboy is pretty good with customer service and exchanges, you should have no problem there. Maybe try Parker direct? Possibly send you another black handled one? Good luck amigo. Keep us posted....:thumbup1:

I saw the pics in the link, and I think your assessment is right. The plate that provides the tension for the blade could be slightly askew. The internal spring rides on a internal recess in the handle, and the spring could be off alignment from within and not allowing your adjustment plate to seat evenly. All it would take is 1mm or 2 to throw your settings of and even worse, your blade won't align properly. Don't know what to tell you amigo. Tough spot here. I checked mine to see if it was uneven, and I'm a pusky hair off. But it doesn't throw my blade off, I'm all square. Maybe the tolerances are off slightly on your razor. There is a thread in here where a few gents who purchased the Variant suffered from problems very similar to yours. A couple of them got straight up exchanges through the vendor, which I believe was Super Safety Razors. That's where I purchased mine from. Geofatboy is pretty good with customer service and exchanges, you should have no problem there. Maybe try Parker direct? Possibly send you another black handled one? Good luck amigo. Keep us posted....:thumbup1:

I figured as much. Thanks for your help. If you were me, would you risk the same thing happening with another variant, as the QC doesn't seem that great from what you are telling me about others having similar issues, or would you get your money back and invest in something else?

I would take one more crack at it to be honest with you. The shaves this thing provides are just pure heaven and under $60. That's tough to beat. I only have 2 razors that are better in my rotation. My straight, a Wade and Butcher Wedge pre 1880's, and my Merkur Vision 2000. And the Merkur just barely edges it out. But that's my opinion. You're going to probably pay more if you keep looking, or the shave won't be up to par. But that is up to you amigo. IMHO, the Parker Variant is an awesome DE, and if they send you a cleaned up version with better QC, you've got a razor for life..... Keep us posted on whatever you do....

Regards, Gus

I would take one more crack at it to be honest with you. The shaves this thing provides are just pure heaven and under $60. That's tough to beat. I only have 2 razors that are better in my rotation. My straight, a Wade and Butcher Wedge pre 1880's, and my Merkur Vision 2000. And the Merkur just barely edges it out. But that's my opinion. You're going to probably pay more if you keep looking, or the shave won't be up to par. But that is up to you amigo. IMHO, the Parker Variant is an awesome DE, and if they send you a cleaned up version with better QC, you've got a razor for life..... Keep us posted on whatever you do....

Regards, Gus

Yeah that's what I thought you'd say, lol. I definitely want to give it another shot, but if I want it now I'd have to settle on all chrome instead black due to availability (I wanted black just to have something different). I rationalize settling for the all chrome because I think the black may chip a few years down the road creating a crappy look. Is this something accurate (again, trying to rationalize here)

Yeah that's what I thought you'd say, lol. I definitely want to give it another shot, but if I want it now I'd have to settle on all chrome instead black due to availability (I wanted black just to have something different). I rationalize settling for the all chrome because I think the black may chip a few years down the road creating a crappy look. Is this something accurate (again, trying to rationalize here)
Maybe, maybe not. I mean if you drop it or bang it on the sink somewhere it might pick up a chip or scratch. I wouldn't know what type of finishing process Parker used to finish off their black version of the Variant. Could have been plated, anodized or even powder coated, but that's expensive and a lengthy process. You would notice a bit more wear and tear on the black one than on the silver matte one through the years. It depends also on how you take care of your tools,everyone is different.

My black handled Variant (and I will get the other finish[emoji108]) tightens up without a blade past the 1 towards the + half number. No worries. So do most Merkur Progress razors.

Parker improved on the Progress. They did their research. In fact it's the finest DE I have used. I place it above the Wolfman, Blackbird & Charcoal. It's that good.

Top Bottom