What's new

Sony Open 2017 (Spoilers)

In the past, the PGA Tour has kicked off the season in Hawaii with a couple of low-stress events which have allowed the players to enjoy some warm weather, have some family and friend time in a holiday situation and get themselves into shape for the year to come.

Things have changed. The new "wraparound season" idea means that these events are no longer gentle warm-ups.

Are the days of the Waialae Country Club as a tournament stop over? Notwithstanding the fantastic play from young Justin Thomas, the scoring averages were outrageous. Amateurs are flattered by having low scores and I know that tour players like it as well but does the track present enough of a challenge? Shooting 67, 67, 68 and 66 to finish 12 under Par, in 20th place and not within whistling distance of the winner is a little strange.

Gone are the good ole days of the silly season! The big names are out in these early events to get a leg up in the FedEx Cup and the young guys are out there looking to go low early in the year. TV ratings fuel this a bit me thinks.

Although it looks like Jordan Spieth and Smylie Kaufman still had time for some silliness on the beach a few weeks back (1:50 mark).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the FedEx cup has a little to do with this, and there is always TV considerations to be made. I think the real motivation is because it is a global game, they can host tournaments year round but they only get the ratings if the big names show up. Also, the level of sponsorship has gone up to where someone is going to show up with face paint on each cheek of the latest gagdet or club or apparel that he is "keen" on. I agree, -12 and not in the hunt is a little perplexing. Maybe I should be playing those courses...

Top Bottom