What's new

Nowhere left to run away to: The final days of the circus

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
$Circus.jpegSadly, it might be the last days of 'The Greatest Show on Earth' (do try to to take your kids & grandkids to catch one of their last shows), in May 17, but there's still is Cirque du Soleil.
proxy.php

Tamara Lush - Associated Press - MSN News - Sarasota, Florida - 15 Jan 17

"Goodbye to death-defying feats — daring young men (and women) on the flying trapeze, whip-wielding lion tamers, human cannonballs. Goodbye to the scent of peanuts and popcorn, the thrill of three rings, the jaunty bum-bum-dadadada of circus music.

Send out the clowns.
proxy.php

The Big Top is coming down — for good.

On Saturday, officials of the company that owns the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus announced that it will close in May 17, ending a 146-year run that dates back to a time before automobiles or airplanes or movies, when Ulysses S. Grant was president and minstrel shows were popular entertainment.

What killed the circus? There are many suspects: increased railroad costs. Costly court battles with animal rights activists [lions, tigers and bears] that led to an end to elephant acts — and the fact that some people didn't want to see a show without elephants.

But mostly, in an era of Pokemon Go, online role playing games and YouTube celebrities, the "Greatest Show on Earth" doesn't seem so great.

"It's been through world wars, and it's been through every kind of economic cycle and it's been through a lot of change," said Kenneth Feld, chairman and CEO of Feld Entertainment, owner of the Ringling Bros. "In the past decade there's been more change in the world than in the 50 or 75 years prior to that. And I think it isn't relevant to people in the same way."

For a long time, the circus was more than relevant — it was the stuff that dreams were made of.

The first circuses were created in Europe; the American twist would be canvas tents that allowed mobile troupes to go to the far-flung audiences of the 19th century.

Phineas Taylor Barnum's traveling menagerie was wildly popular, while the five Ringling brothers performed juggling acts and skits in Wisconsin. Eventually, Barnum, the Ringlings and another performance-minded businessman named James Bailey pooled their resources and knowledge.

Some of the early performances were merely zoos on wheels and a few human oddities, but over time, the acts became truly spectacular — attractions like Jumbo, touted as the world's largest elephant.

Sprawling companies traveled around America by train, wowing audiences with the sheer scale of entertainment and exotic animals. Deborah Walk, assistant director of legacy and circus at The Ringling — circus impresario John Ringling's mansion, art and circus collection in Sarasota — said that the circus' impact on small town America is often overlooked.

"That wonderful show that you can see in Madison Square Garden crisscrossed the country and ended up in San Francisco. And every place in between saw the same thing," she said.

"In the 1880s, especially, here you had this huge colossal canvas city that tracked across the country. It brought the wonders of the world to your door. You didn't have to go to Africa or Asia to see the animals."

The circus also heralded societal changes, she said. Women became performers around the turn of the 20th century (although there would be no African-American ringmaster until 1999 or a female ringmaster until 2016).

When the circus came to town, kids dreamed of running away to join it and its ever-changing roster of stars: the sad-faced clown, Emmitt Kelly; the daredevil trapeze act, the Flying Wallendas; Gunther Gabel-Williams, blond-maned and fearless in the ring with the big cats.

$Circus - 1.jpeg

Read More: The final days of the circus

$Circus - 3.jpeg"It is the only spectacle I know, that, while you watch it, gives the quality of a truly happy dream". Ernest Hemingway

Last edited:
I only ever went to see it once, and it was a good time. I'm sad to see it go, though, because it's another piece of American history that has fallen victim to people offended by the breeze and others who have the attention span of goldfish.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Traveling Man:
Good point...but I remember as a boy the whole town (East Lansing, MI), would 'transform' with excitement because 'the circus was coming to town'! :thumbsup:

I remember going (everyone one I knew went), to the train station to watch the off-loading of the animals and other circus

stuff & equipment. $Circus - 4.jpeg

Now, I don't mightly 'recollect' having a old circus ticket of that time, but in my scrape-book...the Mrs. and I (it's the 'kids-in-us'), once again went to the circus in 09.
attachment.php

$Circus Tickets.jpg

proxy.php
"Word gets around when the circus is in town". CBJ

Last edited:
Huge bummer. End of an era is an understatement. I went 2-3 times as a child and we took our own kids twice. Now my future grandchildren will never get to have that experience.

Sad.

A bit of political correctness, "do-goodern-ess", Peta, and general financial circumstances of a changing world with a short attention span doomed them. Where did my cellphone and Gameboy go? Oh yea, circus ... saw that on YouTube ...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I only ever went to see it once, and it was a good time. I'm sad to see it go, though, because it's another piece of American history that has fallen victim to people offended by the breeze and others who have the attention span of goldfish.

A bit of political correctness, "do-goodern-ess", Peta, and general financial circumstances of a changing world with a short attention span doomed them. Where did my cellphone and Gameboy go? Oh yea, circus ... saw that on YouTube ...

You will get no argument from me that PETA and Co. are silly, pointless do-gooders whose brains have been almost (anything can be cured by rubbing some bacon on it) irrevocably addled by the lack of meat, but ...

... they didn't kill the circus. The circus had been in decline at least since the 1950s; blame TV and the movies more than anything else. Blame rising costs of transporting a circus all over the country. Blame people for not ponying up the dough in sufficient numbers to make it still commercially viable. If there was still money to be made in this business ... if enough people were willing to pay high enough ticket prices to keep it going strong ... it would be going strong. But it hadn't been going strong for decades and decades.

And yes, PETA sucks.

Who wants to go to the circus and watch acts of daring do, when you can You Tube stupid human tricks with painful crashes and Darwinism on display?

I could argue animal acts, circus, Sea World, etc., do more to raise awareness and knowledge of these critters than PETA. My kids rode elephants at Shrine circuses, petted killer whales, dolphins, seals on Scout days at Sea World. To them these animals were not some abstract, as-seen-on-TV thing, but real animals they wanted to learn more about. Granted the conditions a lot of these animals are kept in are less than ideal, but the sacrifice of the handful to increase knowledge and concern about their population as a whole is probably a positive.

When I was a kid, the circus was an event that was in town for a week and kids mostly lived there the entire time. Today it is a mostly sterile, two hour, indoor arena show. What happened to the big top, the side shows, the calliope? An out of tune steam organ blasting away in the back ground, the smell of popcorn, funnel cakes, peanuts, animal dung, canvas, ? Trying to sneak, mostly unsuccessfully, into the side shows or rides because I blew all my money to see the octopus tank and the bearded lady.

You will get no argument from me that PETA and Co. are silly, pointless do-gooders whose brains have been almost (anything can be cured by rubbing some bacon on it) irrevocably addled by the lack of meat, but ... <snip>

Do gooders spreading FAKE NEWS and changing public opinion have an effect on things that is easy to miss. Don't kid yourself, activist groups like Peta have an effect along with all the other things you mentioned on society in general today. While well intentioned, I find many people get misguided about what they patronize by FAKE NEWS they see in their social media feeds. And yes, this was a problem long before the recent presidential election in the USA.

Just look at the vaccination and anti-vax debates as another example of FAKE NEWS skewing public opinion away from FACTS. Add climate change, ....

:surrender::incazzato... :smile:

Red Flag.

We're talking the circus here... Let us leave politics, anti-vaxers, and fake news out of this please?

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
When I was three or four years old, I had front row seats to the circus (I have no idea how- my father never got front row seats to anything) and Emmett Kelly Jr. swept the top of my head with a broom.

Another bit of Americana goes the way of the dodo.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Red Flag.

We're talking the circus here... Let us leave politics, anti-vaxers, and fake news out of this please?

Yes please!

When I was three or four years old, I had front row seats to the circus (I have no idea how- my father never got front row seats to anything) and Emmett Kelly Jr. swept the top of my head with a broom.

Well, that explains a lot.

:001_rolle

My point was that public perception is part of the problem with end of "The greatest show on Earth" and other issues. This circus was affected by negative social media effects just as much as the increased cost of transportation for the animals, veterinary care and, everything else. The reason attendance was down is multifaceted but, negative social media and various activists play their parts too. Whether it is a viable business enterprise or a societal social or political issue, Fake News and social media in general along with various news media outlets (papers, TV stations, etc.) affect public opinion and with that where they spend their time and money. This is not the only cause for the end of the "Greatest show on Earth" but, it is just as important as many of the other issues that have been cited.

I agree that PETA did not destroy the Circus. If they were that powerful why do we still have burger joints? It's the changing in our priorities. We have fewer shared experience events in our culture. The act of going to a movie is less social than it used to be. I will particularly miss the big show Barnum & Bailey Ringling Bros Circus because I've been to plenty of smaller circuses (circi?). There was no substitute for the level of talent, variety of acts and overall showmanship of this show. I think also the smaller shows were the ones that gave the big shows a black eye for animal treatment.

I agree that PETA did not destroy the Circus. If they were that powerful why do we still have burger joints? It's the changing in our priorities. We have fewer shared experience events in our culture. The act of going to a movie is less social than it used to be. I will particularly miss the big show Barnum & Bailey Ringling Bros Circus because I've been to plenty of smaller circuses (circi?). There was no substitute for the level of talent, variety of acts and overall showmanship of this show. I think also the smaller shows were the ones that gave the big shows a black eye for animal treatment.

A very good point about the shared experiences and social aspects of events like the Circus and going to the movie theater; anyone remember drive-in movies? But, I digress.

No singular issue killed this circus by itself. I believe it was a calamity of several issues that together ended this circus.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Traveling Man:
Good point...but I remember as a boy the whole town (East Lansing, MI), would 'transform' with excitement because 'the circus was coming to town'! :thumbsup:

I remember going (everyone one I knew went), to the train station to watch the off-loading of the animals and other circus

stuff & equipment.

Christopher, I was curious if you remember where they used to have it before The Breslin Center was built. Perhaps, at Jenison Fieldhouse?

I remember going to see the circus at the Breslin when it was first built and I have a faint memory of seeing the circus before the Breslin was built (I would have been about 4 years old). The circus always scared me as a child though. I think the psychedelic scenes in Dumbo didn't help much either. :lol: But, I wasn't concerned with the clowns or thought that the animals were scary or anything like that. It was just too overwhelming for me. All of the noises and darkness and shadows, the perceived chaos and electric atmosphere... I guess these things weren't my cup of tea when I was a child. I also went to the circus at the Breslin once in-character as part of a theatre exercise when I was in high school. I was concentrating more on staying in-character and cozying-up with a couple of the female cast members than I was the actual circus though.

Even though, the circus never made a huge impact on my life (or at least as far as I can tell), I'm still sad to see it go. The performances were pieces of Americana.

I remember going to the circus when I was really little at the Lansing Civic Center, probably around 1982-1983. It closed a few years later. I'm not sure where they had the circus in East Lansing.

I don't think any single factor led to the demise of the circus or any other culture icons. Society today killed them. Just like there are only a few of us who want to take the time to shave with a brush and non-disposable razor or write with a fountain pen, people are not willing to take the time it takes simply to enjoy life unfolding for them. Folks want information dispensed in 140 characters, they aren't interested in anything that doesn't confirm what they already think, they can see thousands of people bust their tails on ice or animal videos on their computers, and on and on. The thought of taking the time to appreciate what it takes to put on a circus or live performance of any kind is lost. I went to see a live performance of A Christmas Carol back in December, and I was taken by the sets as much as the acting. I really just don't think many people under a certain age have the capacity to appreciate anything that takes time to enjoy.

We have started down a slippery slope, and I am concerned where it leads. The circus is just symptomatic of culture's micro attention span. In another generation or two, we'll have people protesting a filing law suits because they can't graduate medical school in two years. When people are faced with scenarios that don't yield instantaneous gratification, they won't know what to do.

(Yes, I know this rant is all over the place, but I think most folks get what I'm talking about.)

Top Bottom