What's new

bushcraft knife

proxy.php

I just got it from Batangas. Pretty, aint it?

Cold Steel SRK survival/rescue knife, around $75.
The Bear Grylls knives are pretty good. I have a foldable that is great. around 20-50.

Mora knives are excellent. Hultafors and Marttini make excellent knives in the same price range. They all are exceptional value choices available in carbon and stainless steel. The simple scandi grind on these knives performs well and is easy to touch up to keep a keen edge.

Fallkniven F1. Military tested blade with Swedish steel processed in Japan! I took mine from the Amazon rainforest of Guyana to the mountains of Pindos in Greece.

Here's mine with a beautiful handmade sheath by JRE Industries. (lighter is there for size comparison)

20170321_172433_resized.jpg
20170321_172510_resized.jpg
20170321_172540_resized.jpg

As a rule of thumb there are a couple of things you need to consider when buying a knife. When you say bushcraft that means that you intent to build and carve things with your knife, fire starter sets (block and spindle), wooden spoons, deadfall traps, firesticks, fishing baskets. A good "overall" knife, which you would be able to use for batoning (splitting wood by striking the back of the knife with... well, more wood), skinning and cutting through bone of an animal and heavier duty stuff like that, will not be very good for carving spoons (not that it couldn't do the job but it won't be as easy as a with a smaller blade) and vice versa. So be mindful of what you will be doing with the knife. I can tell you right now that you will definitely prepare food with the knife on your belt, so make sure you'll be able to use it for that, otherwise you will look through your backpack each time you want to peel an apple or crack a nut.

Also make sure that it's full tang and keep in mind two things a)bolts and screws on the handle will cause blisters to your hand when you work for a long time with it b) steel is iron, nickel and carbon, more carbon = better edge retention, less flexibility, harder sharpening, easier to rust. Nickel = More flexible (durable), softer edge but easy to sharpen, harder to rust.

There are some really good looking knives here, but I'm afraid I'll have to stick to my old SAK with a small blade, scissors and bottle opener/screwdriver. The knife laws here in the UK make it tricky to carry around a fixed/locking knife or one with a longer blade. And, to be honest, the SAK has done just about everything I've ever asked of it, although feathering kindling with it is a bit tedious.

I have to second on Moras. One of the best I have ever had and extremely easy/cheap to replace.
Mora is by far the best knife for the money and an excellent choice for a backup knife since it's so flexible. Having cheaper steel though comes with a price and not being full tang makes it untrustworthy. That said, you can do almost anything with that knife, from cutting your stake to making a fire set.

Mora is by far the best knife for the money and an excellent choice for a backup knife since it's so flexible. Having cheaper steel though comes with a price and not being full tang makes it untrustworthy. That said, you can do almost anything with that knife, from cutting your stake to making a fire set.

Even though it's not a full tang, it survives torture tests like a pro on you tube. Full tangs do not mean much if the knife fails in other ways. Those Mora Bushcraft knives look to be plenty tough.

Even though it's not a full tang, it survives torture tests like a pro on you tube. Full tangs do not mean much if the knife fails in other ways. Those Mora Bushcraft knives look to be plenty tough.

I've seen the torture test videos. You're right, it looks really tough. I'll start carrying mine more often.

Fallkniven F1. Military tested blade with Swedish steel processed in Japan! I took mine from the Amazon rainforest of Guyana to the mountains of Pindos in Greece.

Here's mine with a beautiful handmade sheath by JRE Industries. (lighter is there for size comparison)

View attachment 777243 View attachment 777244 View attachment 777245
That knife is on my wishlist, very nice. You'd be hard pressed to find one in the OP's $70 range though, even used ones aren't normally that low priced. I almost bought one last year but it just wasn't in my budget so I ended up getting a Cold Steel SRK carbon v model. Its a tank of a knife. One day though I will get around to acquiring a Fallkniven.

All great choices!

Cold Steel Finn Wolf (folding) & Finn Hawk (fixed) are popular choices - good steel, scandi grind and good pricing on both.

A bit more oddball - I use a Camillus rigging knife (the G10 version) for a lot of camp and boat chores. Compact, a great sheep foot blade shape and includes a locking marlin spike (IMHO a very underrated tool).

Top Bottom