What's new

Am I dreaming or is my beard thicker now?

I've been using my DE for about a month or so now. The past two days have been so hectic that I haven't found time for my shave ritual :sad: and my beard has grown in a bit.

Now, I've never had a really thick beard anywhere but on my chin, but it seems that my cheeks and mustache are both thicker and more coarse than before. Or is it that I am just so used to my bbs smooth face now that I'm hypersensitive to stubble? Has anyone else noticed this?

You're dreaming. :biggrin:

Seriously, though, nothing about DE shaving is going to change the way your beard grows. However, your stubble may well feel and look different due to the sharpness of the blades and the angle the whiskers are cut at, compared to a cartridge razor.

Scotto said:
You're dreaming. :biggrin:

Seriously, though, nothing about DE shaving is going to change the way your beard grows. However, your stubble may well feel and look different due to the sharpness of the blades and the angle the whiskers are cut at, compared to a cartridge razor.

Makes sense. I really thought I was having some sort of wolfman reaction to the T&H creme or the feather blades. Nice to know I'm neither insane nor on my way to being a circus sideshow freak.

We could start a conspiracy theory about how shave cream makers are adding hormones to their products to make our beards grow faster, thus using more of their products.... :rolleyes:

Heh it's strange, I was just thinking this morning that my stubble growout feels completely different since I started using a DE - compared to a Mach3. I guess it makes sense about the way the end of the hairs are cut making it feel different.

I've noticed that I get a much more consistent shave across my entire face when using the DE. This gives the impression of growing back more hair since it all grows back in at the same time as opposed to having patches on my neck that are longer than the rest of my face. I think it's just a visual thing.

I've noticed the same thing. I attribute it to my skin being conditioned to make the whiskers stand out more/feel more coarse after shaving every day.

I have been thinking about that as well...

I don't have a very fast growing beard and it is also kind of sparse but since switching to DE shaving it has felt and looked to be growing faster and denser.

:confused:

It could easily be the placebo effect and all of you wanting your beard to be thicker and faster growing etc. I know for a fact that since I started DE wetshaving just 2 weeks ago, I investigated my ex-whiskers more in the mirror and was feeling my chin etc much more often, thinking it was growing "better".

I cannot imagine that a switch from for example electrical or cartridge based shaving towards DE wetshaving would really make such a difference on whisker growth. Maybe now because we're aiming towards a better shave with equal amount (or lack) of stubble makes our whiskers grow more even.

I don't know, just a guess..

Depending on your age, they actually could be growing in thicker but not due to shaving. In my family facial and chest hair growth starts later than is usual. At 24 I'm starting to have much thicker beard growth than I did even a couple years ago. It could be that you are now noticing this because of the attention you are paying to you face.

This explanation makes the most sense to me. I'm certain that shaving does not make one's beard grow any faster or more densely--its an old wive's tale.

Scotto said:
We could start a conspiracy theory about how shave cream makers are adding hormones to their products to make our beards grow faster, thus using more of their products.... :rolleyes:

How would we explain this to a grand jury? Does this also help us shave faster and better?:biggrin: :w00t:

Top Bottom