What's new

Beginning brush

I was looking for that in between brush for a beginner to use.

From what I gather the brush loft depends on cream or soap <49 for soap 49-53 for an in between and 54 > for cream.

My thought was to try Haslinger Sandalwood shaving soap (told its a good lathering soap for beginners) but wanted to stick with that in between loft brush so I don't have to go back out and buy another brush without learning my preference right away.

Here is what I am considering:
https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Omega-81052-Banded-Boar-Shaving-Brush_p_521.html
https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Vulfix-1000A-Pure-Badger-Shaving-Brush-Faux-Ebony_p_935.html
https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Parker-WHPB-Pure-Badger-Shaving-Brush-White-Handle_p_1868.html

Let me know your thoughts...

Any of your chosen brushes would be fine as a first brush.

Any of the Omega Boar brushes are great to start with (Take a look at an Omega 10048 or Omega 10049). The boar brushes require a few week "break-in" to work best.

Badger brushes are somewhat softer and sometimes hold more water than a boar. I myself prefer a boar brush but many others just love badger brushes.

You may also want to consider one of the Plissoft synthetic brushes (RazoRock or Maggards). The latest synthetic brushes are fabulous and some of them like the Plissoft are very inexpensive and perform top-notch.

Last edited:
From what I gather the brush loft depends on cream or soap <49 for soap 49-53 for an in between and 54 > for cream.

I did not know that. And I'm not sure I believe it. I use all my brushes, all different sizes and types, for all kinds of soaps and creams. If I make any kind of brush selection based on loft, it is if I need to reach a soap in a deep mug, such as the Marvey Soap Mug.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Not at all. I use all my brushes from shortest to highest loft and all diameters for any soap or cream I have.

I was looking for that in between brush for a beginner to use.

Let me know your thoughts...

Any of the brushes you posted will be fine. You gotta start somewhere. All brushes will work with any soap, cream soft soap, etc.. Your first brush will be your "control brush". From there you can decide if you want something softer, higher loft, denser knot, bigger knot, more backbone, less backbone, or any number of factors. After using it a while you can report in and describe what you like or don't like and get recommendations from there. The important thing is to get a brush and start. My first brush was a Semogue 1438. I'm strictly a face latherer. From there I went on to a few more brushes and finally decided I like 2 band finest or similar with some backbone. Loft from 45-50mm. Knot diameter 24mm or less. It's a fun and finicky process. Luckily there are enough good people here to give advice and help make the process less intimidating. Like MasterBlaster said above, the synthetic brushes (Plissoft) are great. I have 2 from Stirling that I use. I can recommend Stirling synthetics without reservation. If I had to start over I would start with a synthetic. Good luck with whatever you choose. And have fun.:001_smile

Any Plisson type synthetic. Imo the only brush you'll ever need.
+1 I think you should get the best brush you can afford. I think it is worth your while to investigate synthetic brushes. I have Plisson & Muhle and love them both.

Don't discount horse hair brushes. I personally prefer that brush over boars. As always YMMV.

Good luck with the search.

Welcome aboard! Haslinger's sandalwood is terrific IMHO. Any of the brushes on your list should be a great place to start.

I also suggest you read through the wiki which has a TON of useful information!

Any Plisson type synthetic. Imo the only brush you'll ever need.

+1 I think you should get the best brush you can afford. I think it is worth your while to investigate synthetic brushes. I have Plisson & Muhle and love them both.

Don't discount horse hair brushes. I personally prefer that brush over boars. As always YMMV.

Good luck with the search.

Bingo. Check out the Plisson style synthetics from Maggard, Italian Barber, and Stirling. Pick something with a 22 - 24 mm knot that has the handle (and price) that you like best. If you never get another brush (unlikely) you'll be perfectly happy with this one.

+1 on the synthetics. I didn't think I'd like them, but now have two plissoft brushes in regular rotation and they are not pricey.

I've had over 20 brushes, badger, boar, and synthetic in 7+ years. I'm down to 8 badgers, all used with either soap or cream. My first brush was an Omega pure badger costing around $30. I wouldn't recommend a pure badger brush to anyone. Within 2 months, I bought a more expensive Silvertip Badger and gave away the pure (wasting my $30). Unless you're young and/or have iron skin, pure badger is really uncomfortable. Try a boar or synthetic first. If you want to go badger, save your money until you have a budget of $50. Plenty of good Best & Silvertip badgers available at that price.

I've had over 20 brushes, badger, boar, and synthetic in 7+ years. I'm down to 8 badgers, all used with either soap or cream. My first brush was an Omega pure badger costing around $30. I wouldn't recommend a pure badger brush to anyone. Within 2 months, I bought a more expensive Silvertip Badger and gave away the pure (wasting my $30). Unless you're young and/or have iron skin, pure badger is really uncomfortable. Try a boar or synthetic first. If you want to go badger, save your money until you have a budget of $50. Plenty of good Best & Silvertip badgers available at that price.

Or go for either the maggard's 22mm finest badger or Stirling 24mm finest. I have experience with the Stirling--wonderful.

Any brush can and will work. It takes time to learn your preferences. that being said , the Stirling 24mm finest brush is a very tempting candidate and would require very little break in. Any of your listed brushes can and will work.

First brush go with the Plissoft synthetic. Doesn't require any break in so will be a great brush right out of the box.

I agree with the synthetic option as a first brush for the following reasons:
1. Very easy to use and get a great lather
2. No break in required
3. No off-putting animal smell
4. Can take a lot of abuse
5. Inexpensive
6. Low maintenance

Can't go wrong with a stirling finest 2 band brush. Price is right and the tips feel just as good as higher end badgers costing triple to quadruple the price

Top Bottom