What's new

Shaving soaps at Drug Stores/Department stores, what's available?

M

Mau-12

Hi, I'm brand new to the old school shaving scene. I jumped in head first though and ordered all the "industry standards" so to speak, i.e Merkur HD, Merkur blades, C&E BBB. I also ordered "Awakenings" shaving soap from mama bears, but unfortunately it is being shipped to my old address, so I will have to wait until it gets returned to her and she can ship it again:frown:
So all my gear should be arriving this Monday or Tuesday, and I'm not going to have any soap, and I was wondering if there is anything half decent available at common retail stores like Kohls, target, walmart, rite aid, Sears etc?

Do a search in Williams and Van Der Hagen for reviews, comments, etc. Both are common in drug stores in the US. Of the two I would check out Van Der Hagen. Williams has a loyal following but there is a bit more of a learning curve to get good lather from it. Enjoy the shave!

+1 - Williams has some nostalgia value to it, but didn't do much for me. On the other hand, I find that Van Der Hagen is one of those diamond-in-the-rough products that is very underrated. Not only does it make a serviceable substitute for some of the other glycerin soaps out there, but I find I use it from time-to-time just because I like the scent. Good stuff, and cheap.

For a quick turn-a-round you might want to look at the local tobacco/cigar shop, many of which often carry either Col. Conk soap or Pirate's Cove soap, either of which would be fine.

Top Bottom