What's new

Is it snowing where you're at?

$IMG_0904.jpg

Oh yeah, we have plenty of snow. More coming too. About 22 right now. Should drop to around 8 degrees by tonight

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow guys...sometimes I'm glad I don't live farther north. Most we've had here is about 8 inches. It collapsed the roof of the carport which wasn't built for that kind of stuff...the replacement carport now will handle it though. But when I lived in K.C., MO and in the middle of Kansas...snow plow would put up drifts about 4 feet high at the side of the road. Nothing like Wyoming, Montana, or Canada though.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Just a little snow today, but the high temp was 16F today and it's 13F right now.
proxy.php

Good time to pull some chili from the freezer and bake up a batch of corn bread. :001_smile

$IMG_5030.jpg

Yeah dave, stew is always good. What you got going? Come on....you can say.

This is a summer time psych job, eat like it's summer so it must be hot outside... had been wanting to make this for a while and today was the day.

Homemade pasta with balsamic glazed portabello mushrooms and pesto. Used arugula for the pesto, readily available now, plus frozen cubes of garden basil and garlic scapes and had a bag of pistachios but not many pine nuts so pistachios went into the pesto instead. Discovered imported cherry tomatoes aren't half bad at this time of year, i haven't bought out-of-season tomatoes forever, a few of the cherries made an nice summertime addition to the bowl.

Tomorrow we heat from the inside out, i love soup and i love lentils of all kinds so tomorrow lentil soup to stave off the winter cold.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just a little snow today, but the high temp was 16F today and it's 13F right now.
proxy.php

Good time to pull some chili from the freezer and bake up a batch of corn bread. :001_smile

This is a summer time psych job, eat like it's summer so it must be hot outside... had been wanting to make this for a while and today was the day.

Homemade pasta with balsamic glazed portabello mushrooms and pesto. Used arugula for the pesto, readily available now, plus frozen cubes of garden basil and garlic scapes and had a bag of pistachios but not many pine nuts so pistachios went into the pesto instead. Discovered imported cherry tomatoes aren't half bad at this time of year, i haven't bought out-of-season tomatoes forever, a few of the cherries made an nice summertime addition to the bowl.

Tomorrow we heat from the inside out, i love soup and i love lentils of all kinds so tomorrow lentil soup to stave off the winter cold.

dave​

Agreed...Its time for soup. Thai chicken noodle soup tomorrow may be n order.​

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh that looks real good Connie. Just about right on the consistency...too bad it's got BEANS in it. :biggrin1:

That looks like some great stuff dave, I'm gonna have to pick up some portabellos next time at the store...and it reminds me that I didn't put any kind of mushrooms in the stew this time. I thought about putting a couple of cloves of diced garlic in it but SWMBO would have...well, let's just say I wouldn't be posting now.

I do have about two pounds of the roast I used for the stew meat left. I think I may do what Ace is doing, except use the outdoor Dutch oven. It was a sky full of sunshine today...oops...snow melts, then things freeze again...black ice on the roads. I'd much rather have snow than ice.

Yep, I escaped Dallas last night. Started with a car on the DART rail tracks, then a wreck on I-35, a Ford Bronco spinning one tire trying to go up an on ramp, stop and go through downtown Dallas, and a multi-mile back up to creep across the water past BassPro to Rockwall.

Why does a subcompact car want to travel beside a semi-truck in a 75MPH zone doing 50MPH for ~10 miles? :blink: This Darwin award candidate :)sob:) apparently was hoping their heirs would do well. Driving beside a big rig in good weather is dangerous and stupid enough but, doing so in bad weather and on icy roads borders on suicidal (ever seen what happens with a semi-rig tire blowout or when it sheds a retread tire :ohmy:).

Yeah buddy...Ray Hubbard can be an "adventure" to cross sometimes even when it's good weather. Don't even wanna do the Metroplex traffic in bad weather. How was the incline going into Rockwall? DFW traffic is bad, but I don't think I've ever seen anything as bad as L.A. traffic...nightmare.

I saw where they're looking for the high five to be iced tomorrow....

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Lovely meals ^^^

Not snowing here just a dusting. Since I posted a Salisbury steak recipe I decided to make it today. I bought enough hamburg that I can make a batch of chili tomorrow.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! And that's just a light dusting for you.

Now...where's the meal?

There was something on the T.V. the other night about someone who went out in the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming, or somewhere and had to be rescued and the pics. were of the deep snow. I said something to SWMBO about the old trappers and Indians that lived in that region in the early 1800s. How did the lone trappers and the Indians survive? I guess it was knowledge.

Again...where's the food? Pics., Pics., Pics.

proxy.php

Not much.

7° F outside as I write this. Here in southern New Hampshire we haven't gotten much snow (yet) but last night, areas not far south of us got well over a foot of snow while we got about an inch.

Not going outside to cook though. But I did make some nice chipotle-lime tacos last night. Sadly, no pictures.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Yesterday it was 9 degrees here. I grilled a round of chicken quarters a round of burgers, finished with a couple pounds of Kielbasa.

Yeah buddy...Ray Hubbard can be an "adventure" to cross sometimes even when it's good weather. Don't even wanna do the Metroplex traffic in bad weather. How was the incline going into Rockwall? DFW traffic is bad, but I don't think I've ever seen anything as bad as L.A. traffic...nightmare.

I saw where they're looking for the high five to be iced tomorrow....

Good tires and "common sense" goes a long way. I was in an older Dodge pickup and other than the live axle breaking loose with a bit too much acceleration, I did just fine. No tail-gating kept me away from the other clowns that thought if you spun one wheel you needed to "nail it" to get up the hill. Braking was the same, stay far enough away from other people so when they skid and jam on the brakes even harder I have plenty of room to avoid them.

Patience, no tail-gating or crowding, and driving with traffic generally will get you through the chaos.

I could have engaged 4x4 mode but, it really wasn't needed in my case though limited slip in the rear or anti-lock brakes would have been nice. Other than a really long slow drive after leaving the Safari Convention, things certainly weren't as bad as they could have been. Playing ping-pong in Dallas with snow or ice on the roads is never something to look forward too.

Los Angeles traffic is certainly heavy but, it seems to be more disciplined. Grid lock is bad anywhere but, LA seems to have gotten past the "jack rabbits" that think constant acceleration, braking and, lane changes are the way to get somewhere faster.
:blink:

We got close to a foot of snow here in SE Virginia yesterday. Now temps are getting into the single digits tonight. I made beef and gravy from a left over roast yesterday. Tonight was spaghetti and meatballs courtesy of my wife.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
No tail-gating kept me away from the other clowns that thought if you spun one wheel you needed to "nail it" to get up the hill. Braking was the same, stay far enough away from other people so when they skid and jam on the brakes even harder I have plenty of room to avoid them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That also translates to people I've seen stuck in the mud, like at the end of my driveway during the floods a year or so ago (glad I have a 100 yard long driveway and they didn't do it in my yard, and one batch was 20 somethings from DFW). Most of them were buried up to the axle. If you find yourself in a hole...stop digging!!!

When I lived in a more hilly area with more snow, when I'd be going down a hill towards a stoplight and kept sliding I'd tap the brakes and stear over to bump the tires on the curb to help slow down.

This is what is left of the DO stew.

$IMG_0004.jpg

Already have some chicken and dumplings ready for tomorrow night...just heat and eat.

$IMG_0005.jpg

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to make later this week...supposed to have another round of cold and wet...ice this time. I hate ice. I think I'll do a smothered steak with some of the buffalo meat I need to use up.

On another note...I grew up with the Dearborn heaters and floor furnaces, but ended up not too happy with the purdy fake "logs burning" gas stove I just got, that's on the first page of this thread, so I went back to my good old 20 year old Rinnai infrared today. Much better, and Grandma cat likes it being back to normal with some good heat much better.

What was I thinking when I got the fake log one?

My answer to what was I was thinking..."I dunno."

$IMG_0015.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
On another note...I grew up with the Dearborn heaters and floor furnaces, but ended up not too happy with the purdy fake "logs burning" gas stove I just got, that's on the first page of this thread, so I went back to my good old 20 year old Rinnai infrared today. Much better, and Grandma cat likes it being back to normal with some good heat much better.

What was I thinking when I got the fake log one?

My answer to what was I was thinking..."I dunno."

View attachment 715304

The cat thinks your heater is just perrrrfect.
I have a large Rinnai imitation log gas heater with a flue.
It's a beast for my home and most of the time I only have it on low or my armchair starts making funny noises......Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

We drove 125 km yesterday to visit my mother in the hospital (in Truro, Nova Scotia). I was checking the local weather radar with my iPod and the hospital's free WIFI, and saw the snow coming up from the south. We got on the road (still nice and dry) at 5:30 pm, just in time to see just a few flakes in the headlights with only 10 km to go. All Saturday night it was falling pretty heavily, and then it started drifting.

This morning we shoveled just enough to get one car out and went snowshoeing. It was pretty nice, as the wind had completely stopped and there was still a lot of snow on the tree branches. Breaking trail was a bit tiresome, because the show was like a foot and a half of powder, so we returned to a trail that had already been gone through. We were glad to have gone snowshoeing today, because by the next time my wife is off from work it will have rained for two days.

Got home, and SWMBO started a huge pot of chili while I finished off clearing the driveway. I had to break out my big brass bar (about 3 feet long) that I use like a sword, to cut the snow into 2' cubes which I then drag elsewhere with a sleigh shovel. I never lift snow, if I can help it.

I love snowshoeing though. All I needed to buy were the snowshoes and poles, and the rest is just sensible winter clothing that I already owned.
Skiing just looks like too much work, and a case of hypothermia waiting to happen.

proxy.php

Not much.
Hmm. That looks a lot like my area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom