What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread IX- BBQ at the B&B

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Brisket was $2.29 a pound here the other day.

Chris...you are soooo mean. How soon before the fatty is ready?

I have just turned it after just over an hour. I think another hour should be golden.
Smoke is Manuka wood.

$DSC_0014.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I think you nailed that bad boy there Chris. You're gonna have to send me some of that Manuka wood. Oh, wait...probably wouldn't make it through customs.

Looks like you have breakfast for a few days also. Umm...two slices of fatty and two fried eggs. Good stuff.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I think you nailed that bad boy there Chris. You're gonna have to send me some of that Manuka wood. Oh, wait...probably wouldn't make it through customs.

Looks like you have breakfast for a few days also. Umm...two slices of fatty and two fried eggs. Good stuff.

Mate, if I could send you some Manuka wood I would.

I was not thinking of breakfast for the left overs but now you mention it that's a great idea.
It turned out quite nice. The ground ham worked well with the sausage.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I better close this thread- my wife's cardiologist is showing up soon.

Okay, I need to start getting serious about diet. Yesterday my wife got really sick. Two days before our granddaughter had caught something and couldn't keep anything down. My wife started having the same problem at around 6 AM yesterday. By 1 PM she said she had to go to the ER, as she felt chest pains. Tests indicated that the strain of the constant inability to keep things down (trying to avoid the V word in the Mess Hall) had triggered a very minor heart attack. They did a cath today and had to end up doing an angioplasty just past where they put a stent in a few years ago. Her arteries are small, and they couldn't get a stent past the one already there. So, it is time to face reality and start eating better. I see a lot of chicken (of the non-fried variety) and vegetables in our future.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Okay, I need to start getting serious about diet. Yesterday my wife got really sick. Two days before our granddaughter had caught something and couldn't keep anything down. My wife started having the same problem at around 6 AM yesterday. By 1 PM she said she had to go to the ER, as she felt chest pains. Tests indicated that the strain of the constant inability to keep things down (trying to avoid the V word in the Mess Hall) had triggered a very minor heart attack. They did a cath today and had to end up doing an angioplasty just past where they put a stent in a few years ago. Her arteries are small, and they couldn't get a stent past the one already there. So, it is time to face reality and start eating better. I see a lot of chicken (of the non-fried variety) and vegetables in our future.

Mate, that's no good at all.

I offered my wife some of the fatty I smoked yesterday and she did not want a bar of it. She had no clue as to exactly what it was. When I asked her what it was she said it had fat in it. :001_unsur Well I left it there and sliced some for myself, her eyes were looking at it with desire.
That got me thinking that it's name is less than appetizing. If I called it a BBQ sausage roll she may have viewed it different.
Hmmm maybe next time I could try and make fatties little brother skinny.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Mate, that's no good at all.

I offered my wife some of the fatty I smoked yesterday and she did not want a bar of it. She had no clue as to exactly what it was. When I asked her what it was she said it had fat in it. :001_unsur Well I left it there and sliced some for myself, her eyes were looking at it with desire.
That got me thinking that it's name is less than appetizing. If I called it a BBQ sausage roll she may have viewed it different.
Hmmm maybe next time I could try and make fatties little brother skinny.

Hmm, the name Fatboy Slim is already taken :lol:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife there Owen. Mom had congestive heart failure problems for a few years before she recently passed...and she made it to 90. I'm sure your SWMBO is not near that age.

Cook two meals? You can fix a fatty for yourself and give her a bowl of oatmeal. Ooohh that would be mean. Never mind.

She back home yet?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Owen, it's hard to see your spouse suffer. I've seen mine suffer for more then 25 years with her affliction. Just be by her side and tell her things will be alright. Nutritious food doesn't have to taste bad. A mixture of greens and veggies with olive oil and vinegar is wonderful. Throw out all the industrial oils in your pantry other than olive oil, grass fed cows butter, coconut oil and avocado oil.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife there Owen. Mom had congestive heart failure problems for a few years before she recently passed...and she made it to 90. I'm sure your SWMBO is not near that age.

Cook two meals? You can fix a fatty for yourself and give her a bowl of oatmeal. Ooohh that would be mean. Never mind.

She back home yet?
She comes home tomorrow, most likely. She is 10 years older than me, and if I don't start eating right I am going to be in the same situation.
Owen, it's hard to see your spouse suffer. I've seen mine suffer for more then 25 years with her affliction. Just be by her side and tell her things will be alright. Nutritious food doesn't have to taste bad. A mixture of greens and veggies with olive oil and vinegar is wonderful. Throw out all the industrial oils in your pantry other than olive oil, grass fed cows butter, coconut oil and avocado oil.

I got about 3 hours of sleep last night. It is weird- after 22 years you get used to sharing the bed. I cannot sleep right unless she is home. I can spice my stuff up- kick up the flavor without kicking up the fat. You can do a lot with chicken- I just need to start doing it more often. On the bright side, I will eat just about any vegetable- the wife is the same way.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Good to hear she's getting to come home. It sucks being in those hospital beds and not getting responses from when the button is pushed to call a nurse. Mom was not happy about that. She had also had the gut cancer thing about 40 years ago that it took her awhile to get over.

Your SWMBO is older than you also? Mine is too. But she's as healthy as a...whatever. And loud too...or maybe I should say "opinionated."

Maybe you could start doing venison...or buffalo! Oh, wait, that's expensive if you buy it. Maybe get yourself a good 20 gauge shotgun and go hunting a bit to the west of FW...I hear the quail population is doing well in that area this year.

God Speed my friend.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good to hear she's getting to come home. It sucks being in those hospital beds and not getting responses from when the button is pushed to call a nurse. Mom was not happy about that. She had also had the gut cancer thing about 40 years ago that it took her awhile to get over.

Your SWMBO is older than you also? Mine is too. But she's as healthy as a...whatever. And loud too...or maybe I should say "opinionated."

Maybe you could start doing venison...or buffalo! Oh, wait, that's expensive if you buy it. Maybe get yourself a good 20 gauge shotgun and go hunting a bit to the west of FW...I hear the quail population is doing well in that area this year.

God Speed my friend.
They have great nurses where she is. When she needs them they come. I will never say anything bad about her time there. They are great.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Robert...if I come help you split it can I have about three of those chunks?

Or...I'll trade you the same amount of seasoned post oak for the pecan. I have a bunch of post oak but no pecan.

And that pecan isn't seasoned yet.

That's all I got for my begging.

Last edited:
I split it all this morning before coming on shift. It won't take long to dry out with it split on my wood rack.

You're more than welcome to some. Just give me a shout.

Top Bottom