What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2017

Stone's Coffee Milk Stout. This one's pretty good, with a nice, manageable ABV. Give it a try if you can find it.

Don

Night Shift Whirlpool APA, 4.5% ABV
I'm a tad disappointed in this. Pleasant and easy drinking but there isn't enough there there. Probably better for hotter weather.

Bottle of Southern Tier 2XIPA last night at dinner. Meh. Been a slow 2017 for beer so far. May be a good thing.

The Craft Brew place had some good stuff on tap last night. I had a snifter of Lucky Bastard from Stone (2016) on tap. It was super hoppy. I sampled Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA on tap and found it so boozey that I thought it was a barrel aged brew (it's not), or that I had gotten a sample of something else. It is 18%. I wished I had gotten this instead of Lucky Bastard.

Last night was Clown Shoes Undead Party Crasher, an 11% ABV imperial stout with just a bit of lactose. Great balance of boozy and sweet. I'm not a huge fan of most Clown Shoes beers, but their imperial stouts are spot on.

Had the opportunity to visit Pipeworks new bottle shop on the Northside of Chicago over the weekend. Picked up their limited run of Devil Firesfish IPA. Pretty good stuff.

Friday I finally was able to grab a pint of Surly's Abrasive IPA. Fantastic!

Friday I finally was able to grab a pint of Surly's Abrasive IPA. Fantastic!

Man, I haven't had a Surly in a long time! Something of a hometown favorite here. Has a love/hate thing going among the beer fans that I know.

I've been finishing off the seasonal purchases. Had another 3 Sheeps Ewephoria. This is a ginger chocolate stout. It's better than okay, but kind of packs a wallop at 7.4%. I'll finish the 4, but I won't be restocking.

Like@FL shaver mentioned, kind of a slow start. Been sipping A LOT of old favorites. Sam Smith's Chocolate Stout is still superb.

Don

On days off from work, I like to sip and enjoy one a night. Monday - Stone's Coffee Milk Stout. Tonight - Founder's Sumatra Mountain.

I really believe we're in the Golden Age of beer. If you can't find something that fits your taste, well, you ain't trying! Lots of new stuff on the shelves.

Don

First go with Lagunitas Hop Stoopid post half-marathon today. 22 oz bottle pour. Pretty hoppy, but expected more. When I sampled Lagunitas IPA alongside, it is clear that there are malt and fruit notes in the IPA that don't come through in Hop Stoopid. Kinda surprised that I hadn't had this somewhere before, especially since I've been to the distillery in Petaluma.

First go with Lagunitas Hop Stoopid post half-marathon today. 22 oz bottle pour. Pretty hoppy, but expected more. When I sampled Lagunitas IPA alongside, it is clear that there are malt and fruit notes in the IPA that don't come through in Hop Stoopid. Kinda surprised that I hadn't had this somewhere before, especially since I've been to the distillery in Petaluma.

Just curious, Rick... have you tried Lagunitas Little Sumpin? Some of the guys at work were mentioning it. I've never tried Lagunitas... maybe I don't dig the Hieneken tie-in! I checked the website and it looks like they have some styles I might like.

Had a nice relaxing sip of Tyranena's Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale. I'm REALLY liking this one!

Don

$IMG_4883.jpg

Semi-local brew..not bad; odd carbonation though

Just curious, Rick... have you tried Lagunitas Little Sumpin? Some of the guys at work were mentioning it. I've never tried Lagunitas... maybe I don't dig the Hieneken tie-in! I checked the website and it looks like they have some styles I might like.

Had a nice relaxing sip of Tyranena's Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale. I'm REALLY liking this one!

Don
Yes. More than a couple! The wife tends to buy Lagunitas by the six when we have a function. I can't describe it other than to say it tastes like a Lagunitas offering. There seems to be a lot of similarity amongst their brews. I wouldn't say there is anything particularly outstanding about it.

The wife tends to buy Lagunitas by the six when we have a function.

I read this sentence... I ponder the bold part, think of my wife buying beer, and my head almost explodes:blink:.

If by Sumatra, you mean Sumatra Mountain, it is a must try. I still hoard the stuff. Had a Breakfast Stout on Monday. Not as good as I remember it earlier. Either my tastes or my beer selection has evolved. Okay, but I can't really say I enjoyed it.

Don

Still looking for Sumatra Mountain....

I kept spying the Funky Buddha offering on the board and gave it a go. Very good!!!! Sweeter than Founder's RIP, and the booze was hidden a bit better. Still give the nod to Founder's, but my oh my!

Was able to stop by Bear Republic and Russian River Brewing in the middle of tasting some wine up in Sonoma last weekend.

At BR had a few full pints and tasting a bunch of things, I ended up sitting next to a older brewery employee who was a great conversationalist and a good resource about their beers (as well as making sure the bartenders brought over a bunch of things for us to try out!)
- Double Aught pilsner, Peter Brown Tribute brown ale, Big Bear Black stout, Canyonero red ale, Pinot Kolsch sour, Clobberskull strong ale (made with English peas!), Old Saint Chago 'winter warmer'

At RRB just had pints of Blind Pig and Perdition (biere de Sonoma). And stopped back again to bring home some bottles...

Last night: Fat Point Ryeght Angle IPA. OK local IPA. I find a bit of variability, maybe too heavy with the hop finish sometimes, but this keg had good balance. Also had my first peanut butter/choc brew somewhat unwittingly. It was advertised as a brown ale on the board. I initially tasted the warm, roasted nut, but didn't immediately think peanut butter. It was Big Top Brewing's (Sarasota) Deckin's Indulgence. Much better than I thought a Reese's peanut butter cup beer could be! Probably won't seek out another of this variety, but it was enjoyable.

Top Bottom