What's new

What's Cooking 2017

While i was upstairs drywalling the other day my wife snuck into the kitchen and made soup. A bacon, red lentil soup to make the winter a little warmer. Balsamic glaze, Greek yogurt & cayenne to jazz things up.

dave​

Ooo.. that sounds great. I'd say you found yourself a keeper for sure.!​

I would say either she thinks you are also a keeper, or she has a *LOT* of spite to work through. :lol:

Two black sheep from very different backgrounds, you have to stand/work together, so far so good, so very very good!

Is Dave married to a Latina? :lol:

Very diverse background but haven't come across any Latin roots... yet. Our daughter is the history geek and if there're any Latin roots to be found she'll be the one to find them. Little to be found on my side but her mom's another story.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Turkey burgers mixed with exactly the perfect amount of chorizo. :001_smile Fresh garden tomatoes, etc. I like to roll them in a ball, place them on the grill for a minute or two then smash flat.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Last edited:
It will be curry tonight as we still have a ton of spices to use up, and the missus will be cooking her famous rendang later today which will do us Sunday and Monday. Her mother was from West Sumatra where the dish originated so she and her sisters all cook a pretty decent rendang - lots of red chillies, fresh coconut and long slow cooking. She has scuttled off to Little India to get the chillies and coconut...

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Turkey burgers mixed with exactly the perfect amount of chorizo. :001_smile Fresh garden tomatoes, etc. I like to roll them in a ball, place them on the grill for a minute or two then smash flat.

View attachment 716481

Yum, that burger looks ready for me to steal off you. Crinkle cut chips as well.:thumbup1:

It will be curry tonight as we still have a ton of spices to use up, and the missus will be cooking her famous rendang later today which will do us Sunday and Monday. Her mother was from West Sumatra where the dish originated so she and her sisters all cook a pretty decent rendang - lots of red chillies, fresh coconut and long slow cooking. She has scuttled off to Little India to get the chillies and coconut...

I have tried to make a Indonesian Rendang but have not quite nailed it. Enjoy.

Yum, that burger looks ready for me to steal off you. Crinkle cut chips as well.:thumbup1:

I have tried to make a Indonesian Rendang but have not quite nailed it. Enjoy.

You need bags of time, and be prepared to use what seems way too much chillies. I can't give you the exact recipe she uses as I don't think it's written down anywhere, she just knows it, but for 1 kg meat, she will use 1 kg red chillies and about the same of shallots. 1 fresh coconut, scrape out the flesh and squeeze all the milk from it. I am pretty sure she uses cumin and coriander, and plenty of salt. The secret ingredient is turmeric leaves - grown on the balcony here! - and then cook it real slow for a good 5 - 6 hours.

You need bags of time, and be prepared to use what seems way too much chillies. I can't give you the exact recipe she uses as I don't think it's written down anywhere, she just knows it, but for 1 kg meat, she will use 1 kg red chillies and about the same of shallots. 1 fresh coconut, scrape out the flesh and squeeze all the milk from it. I am pretty sure she uses cumin and coriander, and plenty of salt. The secret ingredient is turmeric leaves - grown on the balcony here! - and then cook it real slow for a good 5 - 6 hours.

Five six hours of torture with the wonderful aromas teasing the senses. Sounds terrific!

dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Mushroom, onion, ricotta stuffed ravioli. 00 flour and 20% semolina. Thin sheet of pasta so not to make the ravioli too thick. 7 of 9 on the Atlas. what we didn't eat went into the freezer for another couple of meals.

$IMG_20170114_183727.jpg
$IMG_20170114_185740.jpg

That looks great Mike!

Do you find adding semolina changes the workability of dough at all?

Are you hand forming the ravioli's, that's a very impressive tray full!

dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The typo 00 and semolina make it easier to get thinner sheets of pasta. I have a couple of ravioli molds. The one I used today helps make a lot of small ones very quickly. A crazy brilliant idea. 96 ravioli and probably used about 1 and 1/2 eggs worth of pasta. I.e., lots left over to make some more maybe pappardelle with some form of ragu.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is ingenious Mike! We've always done mega handformed squares, rustic charm but what a hassle. Thanks for posting the video, slack jawed!

And i'll give the 20% addition of semolina flour(?) a go, the last/thinnest setting on our machine can be a little troublesome to crank through.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Meatloaf made with left over ground xmas ham & beef. Carrots, garlic, onion, herb, worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, grated carrot, parsley & eggs.

$20170115_175603.jpg

Top Bottom