What's new

The _____ Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0

It’s time, once again, for us to band together to 3017 a puck of our beloved Williams Mug Soap. What does that mean? Basically, just commit yourself to using a puck of Williams Mug Soap for every shave until it’s gone. For the average user this will probably be around 20-35 shaves.

Here’s the twist. If you choose to do so, pick an aftershave to use to soak your Williams Mug Soap in to personalize it and enhance your experience. Why do this? Let me give you a little bit of B&B History:

Pay Attention Class said:
Back in 2010 in the “Week of Aqua Velva” thread, @Chevyguy described how he put a few drops of Aqua Velva on top of his puck of Williams to make a “a great smelling, thick cushiony, slick lather.”

In the subsequent thread, “Williams with a few drops of Aqua Velva Ice Blue, who knew?” @luvmysuper took the concept a step further and soaked his entire puck of Williams in Aqua Velva for 8 hours, resulting in “Blue Williams, with a thick menthol lather.” Then @Topgumby named this synergistic combo: “Blue Willy”.

Since then, Blue Willy has become a staple around B&B. Most people now grate up their puck of Williams before soaking it in Aqua Velva to allow the soap to more quickly and evenly soak up the aftershave.

In Oct 2014, @rockviper started the “Let's all "3017" a puck of Williams together” thread and folks took the Concept of Blue Willy a step further by soaking their Williams in other aftershaves, creating many new “_____ Willy” recipes.

And here we are today, ready to do it all again!

Sign up here and start gathering your supplies and preparing your pucks. Let us know what you’ll be using in your recipe, and describe your process (pictures always welcome). Use an existing formula (below) or create your own. One thing to keep in mind is the reason that Aqua Velva works so well, is due to its high glycerin content. So if possible choose an aftershave with glycerin as an ingredient (or add a couple drops to your recipe).

James Baker Williams was born on February 2, 1819 so in honor of his 198[SUP]th[/SUP] Birthday, we will start our shaves on Feb 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] (Groundhog Day).

Existing formulas from rockviper’s 3017 thread
Amped Willy ..... Nivea Energy
Blue Willy ......... Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Brutish Willy ..... Brut
Club Willy ......... Pinaud Clubman
Heartbeat Willy … Adidas Pulse
Old Willy .......... Old Spice
Plain Willy ........ Williams, just good ol' plain simple Williams
Rum Willy ………. Pinaud
Skinny Willy ..... Skin Bracer
Vegan Willy ...... Lilac Vegetal
Willy Noir ......... Encre Noir

Having recently acquired several bottle of Aqua Velva Original Sport (Green) form both Canada and recently in the US from Aqua Velva Holiday Gift Sets (Sold at Walgreens), I have decided to use it for my recipe. I think the strong fougere scent is going to make an awesomely scent soap.

And I dub this formula: Green Willy

1. TheVez2 - Green Willy - Aqua Velva Original Sport

Here is my process:

Gather supplies
proxy.php

Grate the puck of Williams
proxy.php

proxy.php

Loosely pack into container
proxy.php

Top off with aftershave
proxy.php

Then we wait. As you can see, mine took half of a 7oz bottle. You don't have to use that much. Then as the alcohol evaporates and the soap absorbs some of the liquid just gradually press it into a solid puck again. This may take a week. That's why we have so much prep time before we start using them.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
OK. You asked for it, KJ!

I have many, many Williams pucks laying around ... and ...

having gotten a giant one-liter bottle of the *amazing* Spanish cologne, Varon Dandy, for Christmas ... (buckle your seat belts, folks).

$varon-dandy-masaje-1litro.jpg

... what can it be? Yes. The "V.D. Willy."

2. Ad Astra - V.D. Willy - Varon Dandy cologne
5.​

AA​

I'm really interested in trying the Blue Willy, but my puck is half gone already, and I'm still working through some Captain's Choice cream samples. May just join as a bystander for a bit.

Here is my process:

Gather supplies
proxy.php

Grate the puck of Williams
proxy.php

proxy.php

Loosely pack into container
proxy.php

Top off with aftershave
proxy.php

Then we wait. As you can see, mine took half of a 7oz bottle. You don't have to use that much. Then as the alcohol evaporates and the soap absorbs some of the liquid just gradually press it into a solid puck again. This may take a week. That's why we have so much prep time before we start using them.
I also add about six drops of glycerine to the AV Ice Blue/Williams mixture. I'm thinking about using my vintage Williams that I have in my Old Spice mug. Without the glycerine the soap is kind of drying to my skin. It's a lather monster though when I combine it with my SOC Boar brush.

Clayton

... what can it be? Yes. The "V.D. Willy."
Sounds like a Dandy Willy to me.

I'm really interested in trying the Blue Willy, but my puck is half gone already
Shoot, I don't have a puck in reserve. I was going to use my RR Pink AS for this.
That's why there's a month lead time... gives you time to acquire a new puck!

I'm thinking about using my vintage Williams that I have in my Old Spice mug.

You can certainly use a vintage puck for this challenge if you wish.
Most of us will use modern, and half the reason for doing a Williams 3017 in the first place is to show folks how good Modern Williams is, when used every day.

Most of us will use modern, and half the reason for doing a Williams 3017 in the first place is to show folks how good Modern Williams is, when used every day.

Sabbatical...sigh

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Ah; yeah- that's what I meant! Writer's block. Change it to that.

We made that same abbreviation mistake once with a cake on Valentine's Day ... whole name - Happy Valentine's Day - wouldn't fit. :blushing:

AA

Ahh missed the start date.

Having recently acquired several bottle of Aqua Velva Original Sport (Green) form both Canada and recently in the US from Aqua Velva Holiday Gift Sets (Sold at Walgreens), I have decided to use it for my recipe. I think the strong fougere scent is going to make an awesomely scent soap.

And I dub this formula: Green Willy

I'm in with my Vintage Blue Willy. I may buy a new puck this week and prep it with Original Skinbracer and 6 drops of glycerin. Then I can compare the two soaps shave quality. Vintage versus New.

Top Bottom