What's new

Annoyed at bulking?

Does anyone else get annoyed at bulking? I don't go crazy competition style bulking and cutting, I just use the cooler months to gain and the warmer months to cut. My problem is, I was forced, due to personal issues, to stay away from the gym for about 7 months. During that time, I lost a lot of muscle and definition. Swapped a lot of muscle weight for fat. :thumbdown
Now, wanting to return to what I was, I know I'm supposed to bulk to gain the muscle, but I hate not being able to see the "ripped" appearance I used to have. So I have to fight the urge to eat fewer calories. I'm gaining muscle, which is great, but it's frustrating because I don't see my former definition....yet.

Not to mention the frustration that comes from the lack of strength I have now in comparison. If only you could bulk and cut at the same time...

IMO, your putting the cart before the horse. Two different processes. Cut first and then bulk.

A great site is johnstonefitness dot com. Numerous people with similar interests as yours. Check out the forum. Tons of diet recommendations and workout routines for both processes.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt. Do your due diligence in finding a program that has a high probability of working. Be realistic in your goals. Be determined. The hardest part is starting. Studies have shown that if you make a habit of doing an activity for 2 weeks consistently it becomes a habit. (That can be good or bad.) Dietary changes are 90% preparation. Have your food choices readily available and prepare multiple meals at one time. Don't get discouraged if you stray. Just reel it in and start again.

It is a good time to start. By spring you should see noticeable changes and you will be pleased with your efforts.

Both can be done at the same time but arguably not as well as separately. Keep an open mind.

CB
Professional Trainer 30+ years

Both can be done at the same time but arguably not as well as separately. Keep an open mind.

CB
Professional Trainer 30+ years

I definitely am. My frustration is simply coming from not being where I was 8 months ago. Wanting a quick fix but that doesn't happen. I will say, it's much easier this time around than the last. Last time I started way out of shape.

I'm lifting to try and get back where I was physically. Had a taxing period mentally, and it did a number to me physically. Trying to play catch up.

It's tough. I started back about a month ago and I'm starting to notice some progress, which is lifting the spirits a bit. Just anxious to be at my old PRs.

Keep at it, don't rush. You will get back to where you were but, rushing is apt to lead to injury. Be realistic with what you eat, what you lift and how, and you will get to where you want to be. "Weekend warrior style" is okay in the short run but, can lead to some real issues later in life.

I'm older also and still cut then add a little bulk.

Usually cut to 147 but with my new routine rarely get past 155

At my best fitness level, I weighed 168# and was 8%BF. I now weigh 175# but not as lean nor as strong. Hence my dilemma. I'm wanting to get my strength back, but also my lean physique. I'm achieving both, but coming slower than my impatient self is wanting.

Top Bottom