What's new

Should Damaged Hair Be Cut Short If You Are Trying To Improve Hair Health?

My hair is currently around the medium length, but I am having some hair problems that are causing easy breakage and very fine hair. I am going to see a dermatologist, but I am sure my bad diet and lack of nutrients is the main cause here and something that I need to change.

In the meantime, it is best to cut the hair short to reduce breakage since I assume the longer hair adds some weight to my hair thus making it snap easier.

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks!

1. Cut your hair short

2. Throw away your combs. Finger comb only.

3. Use anti-breakage lightweight pomades. Yeah, they'll probably be shiny, at least you'll have your hair. High Life light is a nice one. Dax Short and Neat would be perfect. You don't even need a comb. Just finger comb.

4. Increase protean in your diet. Make sure you're eating enough.

5. Stay away from clarifying shampoos. They remove oil from hair and it sounds to me like you BADLY need oil.

6 Do NOT use clay or water base pomades. If you're a clay pomade user, then you're going to need to change it out because that stuff dries hair like no tomorrow.

1. Cut your hair short

2. Throw away your combs. Finger comb only.

3. Use anti-breakage lightweight pomades. Yeah, they'll probably be shiny, at least you'll have your hair. High Life light is a nice one. Dax Short and Neat would be perfect. You don't even need a comb. Just finger comb.

4. Increase protean in your diet. Make sure you're eating enough.

5. Stay away from clarifying shampoos. They remove oil from hair and it sounds to me like you BADLY need oil.

6 Do NOT use clay or water base pomades. If you're a clay pomade user, then you're going to need to change it out because that stuff dries hair like no tomorrow.

I cut my hair short today. It looks thicker and I am not actually going bald - basically it's dense very fine hair, when the hair used to be thick and strong.

My hair actually parts in the middle naturally, although I need a comb to complete the process of putting hairs in place that are crisscrossing. I am not sure I can really do it with my fingers, but I will try.

I have a ton of lightweight hair products - even though I typically did like to use clay mostly, but these lightweight pastes and creams all have water in them. Does a matte or very low shine oil based pomade not exist?

I am going to see my doctor about this too - I do suffer from bad seborrheic dermatitis that comes and goes and I am possibly have nutrition issues, since I admittedly eat a lot of junk. There are probably a few things at play here.

Hopefully it's just a dry winter problem and by next summer - my glorious hair will return.

Baxter of California makes a light cream that is matte and very easy to apply. That's one option for a lightweight pomade that gives you the matte look for your hair.

You need to have your thyroid levels checked. If that hormone is low, it can cause hair loss.

Biotin is an option. Foods like bananas, peanuts and tuna contain biotin. I'm not sure if that will solve your problem.

Poor diets, stress, hair products, and hormonal problems are all potential possibilities. It also could be genetic.

Has this problem started overnight or has it been slowly going on?

Top Bottom