What's new

Tesco Blades - mystery solved.

They were Israeli no-names; Clints, as i call them. The ubiquitous nameless blades. I've seen them in many stores, like superdrug and boots with the same, hush-hush packaging. Well check out that link and you'll see them listed as Israelis, same packaging, mystery solved:

http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/product.php?productid=2704&cat=163&page=1

I say were because Tesco have now replaced them with Dorcos (they say so on the blade and have different packaging) and upped the price considerably.

Well there you have it.

They were Israeli no-names; Clints, as i call them. The ubiquitous nameless blades. I've seen them in many stores, like superdrug and boots with the same, hush-hush packaging. Well check out that link and you'll see them listed as Israelis, same packaging, mystery solved:

http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/product.php?productid=2704&cat=163&page=1

I say were because Tesco have now replaced them with Dorcos (they say so on the blade and have different packaging) and upped the price considerably.

Well there you have it.

How disappointing those were my favorite blades.

Yup, made in the ASR Israeli plant. What we haven't figured out yet is how many versions there are coming from that plant. The ones marked Super+ Platinum (Crystal, Navarro) are different than the ones that are blank (Tesco, Boots, etc...). The Red Pack blades also come from there, and are different as well.

Yup, made in the ASR Israeli plant. What we haven't figured out yet is how many versions there are coming from that plant. The ones marked Super+ Platinum (Crystal, Navarro) are different than the ones that are blank (Tesco, Boots, etc...). The Red Pack blades also come from there, and are different as well.

John,
Is there a version of the tesco available in the US?

I have been using the unmarked Israeli blades in my Merkur HD for a while now and prefer them over the Merkur Platinum and the Derby blades I bought...and hated!

I got 30 Israeli's free with the razor so I thought I would try them last as they were bound to be pretty nasty...wrong! They are sharp, consistent and last for a good few shaves and the price is very good too.

Might have to stock up form the Shavin-shack soon :biggrin:

SSP

These blades are really good. I use them regularly. They are sold in Sweden by the Coop forum (a food chain) and are labelled as Personna, made in israel.

well, first of all, arent blue personnas = israeli platiniums = Crystals = family dollar ?

2nd issue is that theres alot of anti israely sentimate in most of northen and western europe due to the last few years of the israely palestinian conflict, so for such a popular chain like tesco to carry an israely product is a public relations gamble, i guess that the dorcos are less of a "social menace"

well, first of all, arent blue personnas = israeli platiniums = Crystals = family dollar ?

2nd issue is that theres alot of anti israely sentimate in most of northen and western europe due to the last few years of the israely palestinian conflict, so for such a popular chain like tesco to carry an israely product is a public relations gamble, i guess that the dorcos are less of a "social menace"

i think it's more a case of stingyness. The price of the blades steadily increased over the last year or so, now they're Dorcos and have lept a fair bit higher in price. Maybe their popularity has increased and they've schemed ways to make even greater profit margins on what was previously an overlooked, niche product.

I have been using the unmarked Israeli blades in my Merkur HD for a while now and prefer them over the Merkur Platinum and the Derby blades I bought...and hated!

I got 30 Israeli's free with the razor so I thought I would try them last as they were bound to be pretty nasty...wrong! They are sharp, consistent and last for a good few shaves and the price is very good too.

Might have to stock up form the Shavin-shack soon :biggrin:

SSP

It's s funny to see how diferent people's tastes are.:001_smile I also got them with a Merkur razor. I rate the Derbys far above this blades. YMMV indeed.

Hi

I have been using Tesco blades for the last 6 months and think they are fantastic. I was using Derbys and Murkers before,both gave me irritation to the top lip and neck line. After the first shave with the Tesco blade,no irritation at all. I went out and bought 10 packs straight away,infact I havnt even thought of changing to another brand as these do exactly what I want.

Cheers

John,
Is there a version of the tesco available in the US?

Tesco has entered the US market under the name of Fresh and Easy. Nice stores but when it come to shaving they sell the usual bad disposables and canned goop. At least at the two I've been to so far. Now they do have some decent british cheeses there and some real spanish manchego cheese and fresh produce that I thougth was good but no go on the blades.

Top Bottom