What's new

Non Alcohol mouthwash?

ACT has an alcohol-free mouthwash... I can't really vouch for it's quality though, as I'm not a huge fan of mouthwashes in general.

I have to second the Crest Pro Health staining teeth. A friend of mine kept going into the dentist and getting these stains cleaned off her teeth. After she stopped using the Crest, the stains stopped showing up.

I got braces a while ago and was suggested by my Orthodontist ACT mouthwash. Not the Restoring as that has alcohol. This is a fluoride mouthwash which is really great for your teeth. This stuff is awesome and has a very good flavor.

proxy.php

The container is even very well designed. You squeeze the bottle and the top basin/neck fills up to the right amount. I personally love the mint and you can find it at just about any store.

Crest Pro Health stains, so I've heard.

can someone expand on this?

I'm currently using Pro Health.

It just happens I have also noticed to brownish colored stains between my some of my teeth that I don't recall ever noticing before.:confused:

can someone expand on this?

I'm currently using Pro Health.

It just happens I have also noticed to brownish colored stains between my some of my teeth that I don't recall ever noticing before.:confused:

From what I hear, the Pro Health contains Stannous Fluoride, which causes some pretty nasty stains on teeth. They'll disappear in about a month on their own once you stop using the stuff, or you could pay out the nose for a dental cleaning to remove it (mostly). From what I hear a lot of people are having staining problems, I'm surprised this crap's still on shelves, honestly.

Crest Pro Health absolutely stains and the damage can take much longer than a month to resolve. I'm amazed this has stayed on the market - I consider it a positively damaging product!

I'll agree that Crest (and the house brands that copy the product) should put prominent warning labels on the product (or be forced to), but i think calling it 'damaging' might be over-reacting (at least from a health - not cosmetic- standpoint). Nowhere on the bottle does it claim to be a tooth whitener. Its function is to kill 99% of germs that cause bad breath and gigivitis and it does that job effectively thus improving the health of your mouth, i.e. pro-health. Stannous Flouride also is prescribed by dentists or used over the counter in a gel form to put on teeth becuase it strenghthens tooth enamel and can decrease tooth sensitivity.

The staining is not supposed to be permenant, and a lot of people smoke, or drink coffee and tea knowing that it will stain their teeth. The main difference to me is that exactly: You KNOW beforehand what is going to happen.

Personally, as a coffee drinker I have been using the Equate version mouthwash. My teeth aren't pretty anyway, as it has been awhile since I've been to the dentist and have been drinking coffee a while anyway. My next appointment is next month and I will probably quit the pro-health before the appointment and am thinking about quitting coffee and using some whitening strips to improve the appearance of my teeth.

Mostly I'm worried about cavities though.:biggrin:

I drink pots of coffee everyday and don't have any issues with excessive staining... the Crest products created pronounced, visible staining that was extremely distracting.

Top Bottom