What's new

Songs you thought somebody else sang

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
For instance, I thought "Bad Day" was James Blount. But, it is not, it's Daniel Powter? I also once thought "Heat of the Moment" was by Eddie Money, not Asia.

Anybody else have this happen?

Kindly,
Adam

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
When No Doubt's first album came out, I would have sworn that "Don't Speak" was Madonna.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Adam:
I hate to admit it, but thought this song (what was I thinking?
proxy.php
), "Rise up" by Andra Day was sung by Adele.
attachment.php

proxy.php
"[Song] is the movement of sound to reach the soul..." Plato

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the day I thought a song called Sister was by Pearl Jam for a few months. As it turned out, it was the only hit by a band called The Nixons. It was a blatant ripoff of any PJ song though. Interesting thing, I saw The Nixons open up for KISS way back when, and their music was a much harder rock, nothing at all like Sister. I figured it was pressure from their record label to have a commercial hit. Pity, their harder rock songs were so much better but never gained any attention, and like so many other one hit wonders, they faded into oblivion.

I thought this version of SHA was John Mellencamp. Darned catchy tune though.

KeenDogg

Adam:
I hate to admit it, but thought this song (what was I thinking?
proxy.php
), "Rise up" by Andra Day was sung by Adele.
attachment.php

proxy.php
"[Song] is the movement of sound to reach the soul..." Plato
It does sound like Adele.

Back in the day I thought a song called Sister was by Pearl Jam for a few months. As it turned out, it was the only hit by a band called The Nixons. It was a blatant ripoff of any PJ song though. Interesting thing, I saw The Nixons open up for KISS way back when, and their music was a much harder rock, nothing at all like Sister. I figured it was pressure from their record label to have a commercial hit. Pity, their harder rock songs were so much better but never gained any attention, and like so many other one hit wonders, they faded into oblivion.
I could see that. I'll have to check out some of their other stuff. I remember that song.

When I was little I always thought Come Together was by Aerosmith.

It doesn't help that they covered it either!

I thought this version of SHA was John Mellencamp. Darned catchy tune though.
I can hear that.

It was years before I realized that Todd Rundgren's cover of Good Vibrations wasn't the Beach Boys. I'm still not sure why Todd decided to do such a close remake.

It was years before I realized that Todd Rundgren's cover of Good Vibrations wasn't the Beach Boys. I'm still not sure why Todd decided to do such a close remake.

From the album 'Faithful' which is side one faithful covers, side two is all originals.

No liner notes in my album other then the players names. Covers of Yardbirds, Beach Boys a couple Beatles tunes, Hendrix and Dylan.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
For awhile I thought Whitney Houston originated the song "I will always love you." Nope...Dolly Parton wrote that and performed it really well. She sang it in the movie "Greatest little whore house in Texas."

It doesn't help that they covered it either!

Yeah, that's why I thought it was their song. When I was real young in the 80s and it played a lot on the rock stations, I had no idea it was already an old song by the Beatles, from more than ten years before.

KeenDogg

Yeah, that's why I thought it was their song. When I was real young in the 80s and it played a lot on the rock stations, I had no idea it was already an old song by the Beatles, from more than ten years before.
I think they did an outstanding job on it.

When No Doubt's first album came out, I would have sworn that "Don't Speak" was Madonna.

i can see where you would be confused they do sound the same i confuse no doubt with another band of the same genre i confuse them with save ferris all the time.

as for what song i confuse all the time would be fountains of wayne stacy's mom i always thought it was bowling for soup but nope instead they covered the song just so people would quit assuming they wrote it :lol:

Last edited:
I thought America's Horse With No Name was Neil Young. My bad...
I also thought this when I first heard it!

Also, a lot of people seem to think that Cat's In The Cradle is a Cat Stevens song. I never thought this (it's Harry Chapin of course) but it seems to be a common misconception.

Top Bottom