What's new

Avoiding the white bumps on my chin

Dear Sirs,

thanks so much for being here. i've been wet shaving for a year and find it beneficial to my skin. I’ve had a goatee for this time but recently tried shaving my lip and chin area. The shaves go ok, but later in the day little white bumps appear and as I shave over them bleed. I’m wondering if this is due to the area getting used to a daily shave or is it my technique? also if i should grow back the goatee to let my chin heal?

Thanks in advance for your attention,

Jonathan

Welcome aboard!!
W/out knowing exactly what kind of bumps you're describing, it's a tough question to answer.
I can offer a little advice based on personal experience. I have had a goatee for 20 years. I decided to shave it off and found it took weeks for the irritation on my chin to let up. Think of it this way: that skin hasn't seen the light of day or been touched by a razor in a long time!!
I finally decided I like the goatee better and grew it back...Problem solved:biggrin:

Regards,

Yeah, after college when I took my goatee off (job requirement), it was about two weeks to get used to a daily shave. . .

Thanks for those timely responses. i don't think they're whiteheads, just a bit of a pimple w/ hair in it. i figured it'll take saome time but know i know it'll be around two weeks. hopefully.

thanks, Jon

I suggest an alcohol splash as your last step. the little pimples are probably small infections from getting germys in there when you shave. Kill em. Pay me now or pay me later sort of thing....:wink:

I suggest an alcohol splash as your last step. the little pimples are probably small infections from getting germys in there when you shave. Kill em. Pay me now or pay me later sort of thing....:wink:

+1 on this. Also, try some sort of exfoliating facial scrub... it sounds like you're getting ingrown hairs which are leading to an infected pore. Regular exfoliation (maybe 2-3x /wk) plus an alcohol splash should solve this. I don't recommend treating with an anti-bacterial cream since this could clog the pores and lead to further breakouts.

edit: if the alcohol splash proves to be too drying, try a witch hazel-based splash as a replacement.

I am in the minority I think, but if I use a balm, I use it before the splash and let it soak in for a minute or two. Aqua Velva is a great splash. If you like the smell, it can't be beat. alcohol, some glycerine and cooling.
Musgo smells out of this world and I have been told it is not a splash but a lotion. It has alcohol but more moisturizing elements and will get tacky if over applied.

Top Bottom