What's new

Luca Turin/Tania Sanchez Inteview

I ran into this 2011 interview, which would seem to help explain why we have not seen much of Luca Turin in recent years. http://www.nstperfume.com/2011/11/1...mes-q-a-with-luca-turin-tania-sanchez-part-2/

Sounds like he is burned out on scents and the scent industry, if not bitter. Some of his thoughts on reformulations--and other things--track my own. Kind of said to have my original mentor as to something I basically love seem to throw in the towel on the whole thing.

However, he seems more chipper in this 2016 interview, which is promising! http://persolaise.blogspot.com/2016/01/perfume-is-such-irrelevant-thing.html

I have never agreed with everything LT has had to say. But I sure hate to lose his thoughts on scents, including newer scents and the industry generally. I thought what he had to say about artisan perfumers in 2016 was an interesting take. I am not sure whether I agree or not, except to agree that the big houses do not seem to be doing much very exciting.

You are welcome. Turin must be publishing more stuff somewhere that I am not following. Sure seems like there used to me more sophisticated writing on scents than there is these days.

I think of Turin as the Robert Parker of scents. Perhaps he did not find a way to make it pay off as well as Parker did for wines. I do miss him. His not being around has discouraged me from scents as a "hobby." :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Perfumes: the Guide" (Turin/Sanchez) seems to be the unequivocal resource on collecting scents ... it there's anything better, please post it!

AA

"Perfumes: the Guide" (Turin/Sanchez) seems to be the unequivocal resource on collecting scents ... it there's anything better, please post it!

AA

There is nothing its equivalent that I am aware of. Sad, but understandable, that Turin/Sanchez seem to have no interest in updating it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I actually have two different versions; think it may have been updated once.

Hardcover Perfumes: the Guide, and smaller softcover, same name, but with "A to Z" added.

It's good, but of course there are gaps. How things are filed is also mysterious sometimes. Though it's all opinions, it helped educate my nose a lot.

AA

That is correct. The paperback version added a bunch of scents and updated some of the reviews, as I recall.

Both of the articles were a great read. It does seem that Turin's outlook in the 2011 interview is one of great disappointment-that which was viewed as an art form with a soul has become systematically reduced to a vessel full of chemical vapors in no need of further comment. Any given fragrance is just another foot soldier in the Clone Wars of mass market perfumery. I hope Turin and Sanchez don't just disappear.

Meanwhile, after reading the articles, I did something I've put off for a long time-getting my own copy of The Guide. Just got it and have started in to see what new things I'll learn.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You'll like the book; funny and an easy read.

Sometimes brutal, sometimes hysterically funny. Had me checking LOTHs perfumes for any five-stars.

AA

The Guide has been a riot of a good read so far. I've been through half of it already. Zoomed through all of the frags I have that were researched or bought blind and compared them with reviews and ratings. Looks like I have a few winners-best of all, I've got some more ideas of where to go next for new scents....just what I need.....another rabbit hole without a bottom.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Collecting fragrances hit me worse than soaps, and that's saying something.

(40 or so frags vs. only 30-something soaps.)

The book absolutely "helps."

AA

I managed to get hold of myself on soaps before I ended up with the free world's supply of them in the closet. Thought I was being clever with frags too by getting everything down to a couple dozen to choose from. Now, The Guide has me convinced (as if I needed more convincing) that I gotta get Lime Basil & Mandarin to evaluate as a replacement for Rochas Homme when that one runs out. There's probably another six dozen candidates to sample and I haven't even touched Oud yet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This sounds familiar. I did one of those sample services and got the need to try a whole bunch out of my system ( and saved a bunch, since I didn't care for most).

I received a basket of colognes from the family of a friend that died, so my collection doubled overnight, but not necessarily where I wanted to go (need to pass on that Polo Blue - ugh!).

Learned I don't think I care for oud, as I got the Classic Match version of Polo Black Oud ... Since all Oud (in my price range) is synthetic it's probably representative.

AA

Top Bottom