What's new

Waffles

Ok, let's see your great, fool-proof CRISPY waffle recipes.

At one time I made waffles in a new-fangled non-stick electric waffle iron. But I found it never got hot enough to get crispy and I think the teflon coating also inhibited the crunch. So I went on Ebay and got a old 1950s waffle iron with ridiculously powerful heating elements and good old fashioned cast iron plates. The neighborhood's lights dim when I plug it in, but it works beautifully.
I've tried multiple recipes -- from old Fannie Farmer and Joy of Cooking books, to newer recipes from contemporary sources. But I STILL haven't conquered the batter -- although the antique iron makes them crispier, they still don't stay crisp for more than a minute or two, so the 2nd or third waffle is usually not as satisfying.

So who's got a recipe that stays crispy and satisfying?

Sadly, I am lacking a waffle iron, so I have no waffle batter recipe. :(

Looking forward to gathering some recipes for the day I do have the needed hardware, though.

I have not yet made these...

In honor of National Waffle Day, the JFK Library in Boston, Massachusetts shared President Kennedy's personal recipe for the classic breakfast dish.

Check out the step-by-step below to make your own version of a Camelot-worthy presidential brunch.

Ingredients1/2 cup butter

1 tablespoon sugar

2 egg yolks

7/8 cups milk, or one cup buttermilk

1 cup and one tablespoon of sifted cake flour

1 pinch salt

2 stiff beaten egg whites

4 teaspoonsful baking powder

How to Make

Cream butter and sugar, add egg yolks. Beat. Add flour and milk alternately. This may be done at any time. When ready to bake, fold in egg whites, and add baking powder.

Mixture should be thick and fluffy.

Bake and serve with hot maple syrup and melted butter.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ok, let's see your great, fool-proof CRISPY waffle recipes.

At one time I made waffles in a new-fangled non-stick electric waffle iron. But I found it never got hot enough to get crispy and I think the teflon coating also inhibited the crunch. So I went on Ebay and got a old 1950s waffle iron with ridiculously powerful heating elements and good old fashioned cast iron plates. The neighborhood's lights dim when I plug it in, but it works beautifully.
I've tried multiple recipes -- from old Fannie Farmer and Joy of Cooking books, to newer recipes from contemporary sources. But I STILL haven't conquered the batter -- although the antique iron makes them crispier, they still don't stay crisp for more than a minute or two, so the 2nd or third waffle is usually not as satisfying.

So who's got a recipe that stays crispy and satisfying?

My waffle recipe is a secret family recipe, so...ain't gonna happen.

And you just HAD to mention old '50s or so waffle irons, didn't you?

I just packed this home from Mom's a couple of months ago...you don't see them with that kind of cord anymore and it's not frayed anywhere at all. I remember that thing sitting on the kitchen counter of a morning when I was a kid. Still like new, but I need to clean it up a bit. Guess what I'm having for breakfast this weekend?

View attachment 711007

View attachment 711008

I think waffles and sausage creamy gravy would be a big hit.

You are one sick puppy there Aaron...waffles need butter and maple syrup on them.

Oh...wait. Upon reflection...Sausage gravy does sound good. Thanks for the idea Aaron!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I bet that cord could be replaced with a newer one for safety.

I like to to put peanut butter on before syrup. Oh, and with any breakfast involving syrup, I need sausage instead of bacon.

I have a cuisinart that does pretty well. I also use carbons malted waffle mix it smells awesome. When I was a kid my moms version of chicken and waffles was shredded chicken in gravy over waffles. Just had it last night.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Every waffle I made for the last twenty years looks like Tigger and Pooh. Ah, parenthood.

I make a batch at a time and freeze them, they freeze well, when im ready to use ill zap for 15 secs and pop them in the toaster. Crispy ,toasted but out of the waffler theyre not that crispy due to the steam , i imagine if you left them in longer they would crisp up.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Made some waffles this morning in the '40s-'50s era waffle iron. SWMBO just used the waffle recipe on the side of the Bisquick box. Served with butter and Aunt Jemima Original syrup. They turned out crispy enough for me.

Ingredients:

2 cups Original Bisquick mix
1 1/3 cup milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Heat waffle iron; grease with vegetable oil or shortening

2. Stir ingredients until blended. Poor onto center of hot waffle iron. Close lid of waffle iron.

3. Bake about 5 minutes or until steaming stops. Carefully remove waffle.

View attachment 711503

If the first waffles lose their crispness while making the last of the batch, pop them in a preheated oven for a couple of minutes.

I've used this recipe from the King Arthur Flour website with great success. I put them on a rack in a warm oven to keep them crispy.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/PrintRecipe?radio=2&RID=5985#

It makes you whip the egg whites, but otherwise that's the only fussy thing about it (and really it only takes a few minutes with a hand mixer).

I add some vanilla, just because. Maybe not if serving them with sausage gravy, lol.

OH MAN now I want waffles. I think tomorrow's breakfast has been determined.

Alton Brown, a favorite son of Georgia KNOWS waffles (as does most of the state) his recipe is probably the best I have ever run across. Easy to find online.

Do you have to notify the crew down at the local nuke plant before plugging that thing in? :lol:

Seriously, that is a thing of beauty. My Mom had one of those, or very much like it, when I was a boy. Made GREAT waffles and actually got hot enough to crisp the outsides. I wouldn't replace the cord unless you had to, or you think it's, otherwise, unsafe.

For you guys looking for a recipe, try this one: http://www.smells-like-home.com/2013/04/the-best-buttermilk-waffles/

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Do you have to notify the crew down at the local nuke plant before plugging that thing in? :lol:

Seriously, that is a thing of beauty. My Mom had one of those, or very much like it, when I was a boy. Made GREAT waffles and actually got hot enough to crisp the outsides. I wouldn't replace the cord unless you had to, or you think it's, otherwise, unsafe.

For you guys looking for a recipe, try this one: http://www.smells-like-home.com/2013/04/the-best-buttermilk-waffles/
@Jack19 Yup...the nuke plant now requires two days notice before I make waffles. It did dim the kitchen light for about half a second when I plugged it in the first time. But the well pump does the same thing with the lights when it kicks in. Hmm, does that mean this thing draws as much power, or more, than my 1 HP deep well jet pump?

I'm not even thinking about replacing the cord...not frayed, cracked, stiff, looks funny where it connects to the waffle iron, etc. Mom took good care of her stuff and it works great. Do probably need to wipe my fingerprint smudges off of it though...till next time I use it. It seems to be seasoned good...the waffles didn't even try to stick.

There are some great looking batter recipes being posted...this could take me awhile to work through them.

Edit: I looked up what little history I could on this model...Sunbeam W-2-A. It's from the '40s-early '50s...model discontinued in 1955.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
@Jack19 Yup...the nuke plant now requires two days notice before I make waffles. It did dim the kitchen light for about half a second when I plugged it in the first time. But the well pump does the same thing with the lights when it kicks in. Hmm, does that mean this thing draws as much power, or more, than my 1 HP deep well jet pump?

I'm not even thinking about replacing the cord...not frayed, cracked, stiff, looks funny where it connects to the waffle iron, etc. Mom took good care of her stuff and it works great. Do probably need to wipe my fingerprint smudges off of it though...till next time I use it. It seems to be seasoned good...the waffles didn't even try to stick.

There are some great looking batter recipes being posted...this could take me awhile to work through them.

Edit: I looked up what little history I could on this model...Sunbeam W-2-A. It's from the '40s-early '50s...model discontinued in 1955.
Sunbeam made some good stuff. My grandparents bought a Sunbeam Automatic toaster in the early 50s, and my grandmother was still using it in 92 when I moved to Texas. It still made perfect toast.

Top Bottom