What's new

Astra SP and Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum(Made in India) exactly the same Blade?

Some time ago I heard here at the Astra SP, and Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Made in India) They are exactly the same blades But sold under a different name....

Is it true? this is the same blades???
Thank you very much :)

Astra SP
proxy.php

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum(Made in India)
proxy.php

there is only so many ways to make a blade. gillette owns astra, as far as being the exact same blade, im not sure. do a shave test, if they perform the same or very similar then they are very close.

Astras are made in Russia. There was another recent thread proposing the similar possibility that they are the same blade, but I doubt that they would lie about the origin of the blades on the packaging. Except for the yellow 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, I haven't noticed a huge difference between the different Gillette blades myself. The SharpEdge was phenomenal and just about as sharp as a Feather in my testing, so there are definitely some differences between the different Gillette blades even if most of them are otherwise exactly the same.

Can't be exactly the same if they are made in two different factories, even on the same equipment.

Differences may be quite small, but then again, the differences between ALL the modern DE blades are quite small -- I suspect there are only a couple alloys in use and edge grinding cannot be hugely different on such a thin blade anyway.

Peter

Differences may be quite small, but then again, the differences between ALL the modern DE blades are quite small...

That hasn't been my experience. While I found Astras, Silver Blues, and Personna blues to be almost indistinguishable from one another, there is still an enormous difference between Feathers and Sharks. They might be the same size and shape but that's where the similarities end. If all modern DE blades were mostly the same, then everyone would just be buying blades from India that are priced to sell at something like 200 for $10.

Now of course everyone experiences blades differently. Some people love Sharks and hate Feathers, but that's still just more proof that some blades are drastically different.

I would agree that they're close. I bought 100 of the blacks after sampling a couple and really enjoying them. After extended use, they aren't quite as smooth as the Astra SP, and they tend make my skin break out a little. That said, no, definitely not the same.

Reactions: Avi
I wonder if there might be some confusion stemming from the fact that there used to be a 7 O'Clock Super Platinum produced in Russia:
$7.jpg

Regardless, there are often claims made of two blades (from the same factory) being the same but in different packaging. Some people claim they are all the same. There is microscopy posted on this site showing that there are at least several different blades made in the St. Petersburg factory.

Also, I would note that while several of the Gillette blades from St Petersburg (and elsewhere) include "platinum" in the name, as far as I know it is only the Gillette Platinum version in the white box that actually states on the box that they have platinum hardened edges.

Not in my book........

I can get 3 good shaves per blade from an Astra SP on a consistent basis

Whenever I've tried to shave with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, it was very sharp - sharp enough for 3 - 4 shaves per blade, but it was never very comfortable, in fact the sensation reminded me of when a cat was licking my face !!

Oddly enough, I tried shaving with a Russian made Gillette Rubie Platinum blade recently - the sensation bore an uncanny resemblance to my experience with.............

You've guessed it.........

Indian made Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum

I can well believe that Indian made Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum are Russian made Gillette Rubie Platinum under a different label

But Astra SP - no chance !!

Incidentally - no prizes for guessing that I no longer use Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum or Gillette Rubie Platinum, or indeed own either blade

I've still got a few tucks of Astra SP knocking around though !!

Last edited:
I doubt it.

Astra SPs are a regular in my rotation and deliver five smooth close shaves per blade. I'm just trying the Gillettes for the first time and so far am binning them after four scratchy ones.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I wonder if there might be some confusion stemming from the fact that there used to be a 7 O'Clock Super Platinum produced in Russia:
View attachment 710377

I have those, they're quite good. The Indian blades haven't shown me much and I stopped buying them years ago.

I really doubt that they are identical.

I have those, they're quite good. The Indian blades haven't shown me much and I stopped buying them years ago.

I really doubt that they are identical.

I have ONE 7 o'clock Blue left. It was one of my favorites when I started wetshaving and I totally missed buying a 100 pack before they were discontinued.

I'm saving that blade for a special occasion.

But to answer the OP's question.. I find the 7 o'clock black to be a different beast than the Astra SP. The black seemed sharper than the Astra. That being said, I got great shaves from both blades.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have yet to try the "Indian" version of these blades. Maybe sometime in the near future.

Kindly,
Adam

The question here could possibly be solved with data in the future B&B ShaveWiki DE Razor Blade Table:

(a) If the dimensions don't match, then you can say that the blades aren't the same, even if the overall sharpness, smoothness, and shave number ratings are similar.
(b) If the dimensions do match, then the blades still might not be the same with respect to overall sharpness, smoothness, and shave number ratings.
(c) If the overall dimensions and user ratings match, then the blades might not be "exactly the same", but they might seem that way to those who use them.

Experienced users, please consider rating our first poll for the B&B ShaveWiki DE Razor Blade Table on the Derby Extra. We need user ratings to calculate good overall scores of sharpness, smoothness, and shave number. This has never been done before, so it may seem odd or challenging, but please offer ratings if you are comfortable evaluating the Derby Extra. Helping to answer the question in the OP is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how valuable a comprehensive table can be.

Astra Sp is my current go to blade. After 2 shaves with the 7 o'clock black, they seem very similar to the Astra SP blade.
However they are made in different countries and factories. But I would not be surprised if they are both made to the same specifications and process.
It is a bit like comparing a Big Mac from the USA, compared to one in Australia. 💁‍♂️

I greatly prefer 7 O'Clock Super Platinums over Astras. In fact I prefer dozens of blades over the Astras.
I'm aware that I'm part of a tiny minority who don't care about the Astras but I strongly hold to the acronym "YMMV".
Same blades? Not in this multiverse.

Top Bottom