What's new

January Mess Hall Group Cookout ~ Theme: Winter Vegtables

Mess Hall Group Cookout

Everyone likes a cookout. So that's what we're doing. It will be a lot of fun and this includes you. The idea of the cookout is very simple. We plan on having a monthly cookout with a theme where everyone is cooking the same thing. Any and all members are welcomed to join. The cookout dates will be posted so you will have plenty of time to gather your ideas and ingredients. A “theme” of what’s to be cooked will also be posted. Each participating member will cook from their own home using any method they see fit, (including inside ovens and stove-tops) but staying within the theme for that week. Posting time will include two weekends from Saturday through to the next Sunday, so you will have plenty of time to help you prepare and post. Of course all your efforts will have to be documented with pictures of at least the final product along with a short tutorial.

The real fun will be getting to see what other fellow members come up with across the world. Come on out and join us. You have to eat, so you might as well show us how you cook.

Dates: Starts Saturday 1-14-2017, Ends Sunday 1-22-2017. That's two whole weekends.

[FONT=&quot]Theme: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Winter Vegtables[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
If you want in, Just say I'm cookin'!!!

~ Thread idea inspired by Brucered

I'm cookin'!!!

Seemed like a good time to check into those things from way back that were Winter vittles since they stored so well over the cold months... So obvious choices are the root veggies that stored well, but also things like cabbage and squash did good in old fashioned root cellars.

I'm hoping to get really ambitious and use this to finally attempt making stuffed cabbage rolls. I have some other ideas as well I may sneak in here over the two weeks. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Do veggies in a stew count there new Stew?

Yup...tough crowd here. :lol:

You'll learn how rambunctious I can be.

Aaron...fill him in.

Welcome Dustin...I'm sure you'll do great. Glad to have you here.

Aaron...fill him in.

I had pre-pondered that exact question, and to be honest, yes indeed, a good solid Winter veggie based stew does count. Though, I'd hope that if someone was going to go that route, they'd really go all in and not just drop a couple carrots into a stew and call it done. I would hope to see turnips, parsnips, rutabaga, celery root, etc.. really step up the game. :lol:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Aaron...fill him in.

I'm Cookin'

Now Mike, you behave...no, don't do that, we need a few clowns in the classroom. :001_smile

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hardly a challenge . . . where I'm at this is a necessity. I'm cooking . . . may need a kick to remember to be posting though.

Almost time for cabbage and sausage. Maybe I'll add some carrots for a little flair.

That was several meals for me this week, as you saw in the other thread. Much of what I make, the wife doesn't eat, so I end up making it and eating it several meals over a week. lol

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Roasted sweet potato, onion, and beets served on a baby kale couscous salad with a vinaigrette dressing.
$IMG_20170106_175147.jpg

I picked up the things I need to attempt stuffed cabbage... as well as a bunch more brussel sprouts to roast in the oven. The wife is away all week starting Monday, traveling for work, seemed a good week to consume all the cabbage things, since she'll not be here to have to suffer through the fallout. lol

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I picked up the things I need to attempt stuffed cabbage... as well as a bunch more brussel sprouts to roast in the oven. The wife is away all week starting Monday, traveling for work, seemed a good week to consume all the cabbage things, since she'll not be here to have to suffer through the fallout. lol

So you won't be smoking inside the house, right? :biggrin:

Hope this slots in here.

Suppose to be oven Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary & Romesco Sauce but needed to 'low & slow' a chunk of meat at the same time so my wife did the vegetables stove top.

Romesco sauce made of roasted red peppers, jalapeno, a few reconstituted New Mexico chilis, canned garden tomatoes, garlic, toasted almonds, toasted sourdough bread, olive oil, red wine vinegar, cayenne & smoked paprika, salt. Tomorrows meal, coincidentally, also calls for romesco sauce, a good call.

Used this recipe http://leitesculinaria.com/58629/recipes-romesco-sauce.html

Also a little side of diced sauteéd red pepper, frozen corn & edamame beans, i figure the frozen bits stored for winter use, why not. For me frozen vegetables shine with simply butter, salt and pepper.

Music; had put in a request at the library for around a dozen 'Rough Guide to Music' cd's and few came in today so sampling indigenous world music.

Wine; Sandbanks 2015 Foche - Baco Noir named after the area of the country my wife & i met, ok cheesy but we didn't purchase the bottle it was a gift and whether they knew the significance, no idea.dave

OK, stuffed cabbage rolls are in the crock pot, slow cooking to (hopefully) perfection. I looked up several different recipes, watched some youtube videos on making them, and in the end it wasn't too difficult.

For the stuffing, the various recipes were all over the place, and I realized that much like any other meat stuffing going into veggies/mushrooms, you can kind of do whatever you want with it, so I shot from the hip on it, making it up as I went.

pound of ground beef
Medium diced onion
diced orange sweet pepper (since I had an extra in the fridge that needed to be used up)
3/4 cup or so of cooked rice
couple cloves of garlic
salt
fresh ground pepper
smoked Hungarian hot paprika
1 egg

Put a large pot of water on to boil while I sauteed the onion, pepper, and garlic till it had some nice color, seasoning with salt during the sautee, and let that cool while I cored the head of cabbage. Lowered the water to a simmer and put the head into the pot. While that simmered, I mixed up the stuffing ingredients all together, adding a bit more salt, the ground pepper, paprika, egg, and rice.

I pulled the cabbage out so it could cool a bit to make it easier to handle. I separated the leaves off, some of them weren't quite ready, so I had to drop the head back in the water a few times after peeling a few layers, and had to blanch the leaves themselves since a few weren't quite ready to roll. Stripped the ribs off, and shaved them to make them thinner and more flexible, then it's just a matter of rolling a serving of filling up, and placing them into the crockpot. For help with the rolling process, there are several youtube vids showing the process, and they all did it pretty much the same, so I followed those.

$IMG_20170115_095642.jpg

$IMG_20170115_103108.jpg

Top Bottom