What's new

Automobile winter preparedness kit

Different climate for sure! Wish I could tolerate the daytime temperatures of 105+ for 4 months of the year.

proxy.php

Actually, it's only one or two months that it gets that hot and then only for a few days.

Carry sand instead of cat litter. If you don't get traction immediately with litter you never will because it's made of clay and will become slick real fast.

I would also make sure to have a screw driver preferably with multi heads, fix a flat, if an older car fluids like spare oil, brake fluid, tranny. .etc.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So the water will likely freeze. I'm assuming this isn't a problem because you can thaw it with body heat or a fire. But it usually expands when it freezes, especially in those single serve bottles. I've seen them expand and pop. So I'm wondering if there is an alternative to carrying emergency water during the winter?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
That Wisconsin kit seems like a bit of survivalist loonery, unless you regularly travel unpopulated and unpatrolled roads, and if that you likely have developed your own more realistic kit. As Jason points out, that designer water will freeze, and most places I've been in winter feature snow anyway. Why the snacks? Takes about a month to starve to death, you will freeze solid long before when that half-tank of gas runs out.

I am an Eagle Scout, and always have a space blankie & First Aid Kit. I have a lightweight set of jumpers, but not sure what they do for you in a survival situation. And they are in the trunk.

I'm reminded of the Soprano's episode where the two idiots are lost in wintertime Pine Barrens, fighting over ketchup packs

I actually dont put a, "winter preparedness" kit in my car, although I probably should. I grew up in Wisconsin and lived there until I was 32, so theres no winter weather or winter driving that scares me.
If I did though, heres what Id put in the kit: blanket, hand warmer packs, kitty litter, flashlight, road flares and some kind of backup battery pack for charing cell phone.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've got pretty much what's on the list, except for food and water, flares, and the extra clothes...the extra clothes seems to me to be a useless waste of space. All of my stuff goes behind the seat of a single cab pickup. I do need to put the blankets back in though.

I do have some things that are not mentioned...like a come along. And food cooking utensils, waterproof matches, and a big knife with sharpening stone, and a multi-tool, and fishing line and hooks, rags, twine and rope, bungee cords, military poncho, foil, sterno and stove, floor jack, etc...all the small stuff is in a backpack that's behind the seat. I probably could use a couple of cans of chicken noodle soup and some stew in there for moisture and meat, but where I go it's unlikely I would need any of it. As far as water...if I'm in snow or ice it won't be hard to melt that for water. I usually carry a firearm and ammo so I have that part covered.

I really need to get a shell camper to put on the back of my truck and get things set up in it...just because I want to. I don't have near the possibility of getting stranded for long periods of time that other places do...where I go I could walk to a house in about 5 or 10 minutes in three feet of snow...just follow the road.

But...I have been stranded at the house for a few weeks without power...had plenty of gas stocked up for the generator though to run the fridge and deep freezer, T.V., computer, etc., and have a wood stove, and we are on propane for heat, hot water, and cook stove in the house. Last time we were out of power for a week or so I used the generator to power the computer to get on this board for a bit. I'm good.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I keep a case of water, tp, sun block, shorts, t shirt, external charger for cell phone, MRE's. Not too much more cuz if I get stranded it will be at the ranch and it's only 6 1/2 miles off a main road and we have a house there with central air and heat.

I know this sounds weird because it's about winter but it was 87 here today!!

In addition to the the "extra hats, socks and mittens" I would add boots, overshoes, or cleats of some sort. (Interesting that they show boots in the photo, but don't list them.) Changing a tire in snow or walking on slick roads while wearing smooth-soled shoes can be a challenge.

And there's always a Tim Horton's pretty close by Eh, so know need for more than some snow shoes, maple syrup and extra cigarettes :lol:
Seriously though, I keep plenty of stuff so I can change clothes, eat if I have to, warm the car, sleep a few hours, defend myself. I take off and hike a lot, even through winter, and though I go pretty far out of the way, enough people do it that I don't think I've ever been any where, no matter how remote, for even a whole hour without seeing someone.

I live in the NC mountains. Two years ago I totaled my 4Runner when I hit black ice and slid down 20 feet into a creek bed. I had to crawl out into the creek. I then had to climb out of a steep ravine while soaking wet. The temperature was somewhere in the upper 20's.

Bottom line: I really wished I had some thermals and exta clothes. I was soaked and it took 30 minutes before another car came by and called the police (my phone was lost in the wreck).

I went to grad school in Vermont so I know how to drive in the snow. This incident was a very sobering experience.

Carry some sand in a recycled plastic laundry detergent bottle with a spout. Keeps it nicely contained, and makes it easy to put the sand where you want it.

And for additional traction, throw a couple of these aluminum gutter guards in the trunk. These will get you out a lot of times when sand alone won't. Cheap enough to just drive away from if you have to. Wedge under the front edge of the driven wheels and go slow to get moving. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-6-in-x-36-in-Hinged-Gutter-Guard-Unpainted-85280BX/100002884

Very few people know to put any actual knowledge into their kit. You can pack whatever but it's useless without the know-how for using it. I saw a guy broke down once who had the flares, but they were pretty much side by side each other.

I use to give out avalanche shovel as gifts when I lived in Cleveland Ohio. Too many people thanked me for them as life savers in digging a car out of a freshly plowed parking spot.
Now in California that dry heat means no snow...But driving gloves a must! All summer...

So the water will likely freeze. I'm assuming this isn't a problem because you can thaw it with body heat or a fire. But it usually expands when it freezes, especially in those single serve bottles. I've seen them expand and pop. So I'm wondering if there is an alternative to carrying emergency water during the winter?

Vodka?

Top Bottom