What's new

Scotch recommendations for a beginner

I'm a young guy, 20's, but I've really gotten interested lately in scotches because of the flavor profile. Not a big bourbon fan at all and the smokiness of scotches appeals to me. My father, the only other man in my family, can't stand scotch so I have no one to share it with. What are some good recommendations for someone just starting out? A coworker suggested doing a blended first such as Johnny Walker's Black Label and then going to Macallan 10 because it is fairly mild and others I see are Glenlivet 12 and Highland Park's 12 year. I tend to favor foods and drinks that are smokier and more bitter in taste than others, so I'm assuming I'd eventually enjoy peated whiskies but for now I'd like some insight before dropping any money on a bottle. Thanks.

One reasonable single malt that is smoky is Laphroaig. Other favorites of mine are Ardberg 10 year old (also very peaty), Glenlivet 18 year old, any of the Glenmorangie, Highland Park 12 year old, Balvenie Carribean cask, Oban 14 year old. There are a lot more out there.

I am a single malt guy personally. And my go to budget friendly is Glenlivet 12 year.

I recently picked up a bottle of Speyburn ten year and that is also a very budget friendly single malt, that tasted really good.

I'd personally recommend an Islay single malt, and I think I'd start with one of the less fully smoked/peated options from the island as these descriptions are relative and even the 'gentle' Islay stuff is evident of where it came. Bunnahabhain 12, Caol Ila 12, Bowmore 12, or Kilchoman Machir Bay.

It would be even better if you can get one from a single cask bottling where these distillers sell some spirit to an independent bottler whom puts it in their own cask, that way you will not be getting something that was moved around or came from various casks all from one malt but rather one malt, one distillation, and one cask...around here Gordon Macphail has a Bunnahabhain-distilled offering that aged for 8 years and it is ~$50 and very nice.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
All those recommendations are good, but I gotta say that a bottle of Johnny Walker Black is a mighty good value, a mighty good whisky, and very easy to find. It's even got a little smoke to it.

Honestly, as good as single malts can be, don't get too wound up about single malt v. blend.

If you like the smokey peaty whiskeys like you said, then I would just jump in head first and get a bottle of Laphroaig 10. It will cost you around 40-50 dollars. Talisker 10 is another good one to try. Will be a little more expensive at around 50-70 but pretty easy to find.

This is a pretty famous chart that is interesting to look at and may give you an idea of what your looking for.
https://www.forwhiskeylovers.com/sites/default/files/user/20168/photos/Scotch chart.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I always like this video for chaps in your position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree to start with Islay as these classically tend to be smokier/peatier. I love Islays and for my taste, my favorites are Lagavulin (though it is a bit pricey), Laphroaig, and Ardbeg. I have also had some really great offerings from Bruchladdich. Bowmore is a good option for a lower price Islay.

At some point, I would also recommend trying some malts from different regions in Scotland; Highland (Oban, Dalwhinnie), Lowland (Glenkinchie, Auchentoshan), Speyside (Glenlivet, Macallan), Islands (Highland Park, Talisker), Islay, Campbeltown (Springbank). Exploring the characteristic flavor profiles of the different regions can help you find what you like.

I always like this video for chaps in your position.

Love Ralphie, hes my favorite whiskey reviewer on Youtube. Been meaning to pickup Highland Park 12 and Coal Ila eventually. This is pretty good advice. Old Pultney is decent if you can get it for a good price. I got it for around $45 and probably wont buy it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a young guy, 20's, but I've really gotten interested lately in scotches because of the flavor profile. Not a big bourbon fan at all and the smokiness of scotches appeals to me. My father, the only other man in my family, can't stand scotch so I have no one to share it with. What are some good recommendations for someone just starting out? A coworker suggested doing a blended first such as Johnny Walker's Black Label and then going to Macallan 10 because it is fairly mild and others I see are Glenlivet 12 and Highland Park's 12 year. I tend to favor foods and drinks that are smokier and more bitter in taste than others, so I'm assuming I'd eventually enjoy peated whiskies but for now I'd like some insight before dropping any money on a bottle. Thanks.

Some great suggestions here. Can't go wrong with any of them. Best to pick a nice, decent bottle and then start a list of what you'll try next. There's just too many great choices these days - blends or single malts. My very first taste of Scotch was a Macallan 12 and it was delicious and still is. Yet over time I've found that I prefer more smoke and peat so I've kind of moved past the lighter/sherry influenced Whiskies. These days I've been enjoying Caol Ila 12, Talisker 10 and Oban 14.

If you want you can take a look at my own whisky road here - it's been a delightful trip and hopefully will never end:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/497261-The-Scotch-Whisky-Road

Cheers!

:sailor:

I think I'm going to go straight into single malts and see what happens. The state-run People's Republic of Fine Wine and Liquor in my area has a horrible selection so I'll see if I can get the Glenlivet 12 or Macallan to start. If they are too heavy for me right now I'll grab a blended to see if that's easier. Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to go straight into single malts and see what happens. The state-run People's Republic of Fine Wine and Liquor in my area has a horrible selection so I'll see if I can get the Glenlivet 12 or Macallan to start. If they are too heavy for me right now I'll grab a blended to see if that's easier. Thanks guys.

Be sure to report back. Either of those would be a good first choice.

Two of the malts already mentioned, Highland Park and Bunnahabhain, are much easier to drink for me than any blend. They lack the harshness of blends, yet have loads of flavour and a lovely mellow peaty character.

Top Bottom