What's new

Interesting read...

The information in this site about badger farming and the two types of hair is very new to me. Any further info or comments about this is welcome and if this has already been discussed in another thread then please point me to it. Thanks guys.

That was a very cool read. I wonder if there's a way to tell which of the hair groups our own brushes where made of?

I know my new Rooney 3/1 Super holds lots of water, why more than my Omega Silver Tip.

Thanks Ram!!!

they were one of the sites i have bookmarked under grooming. They sell a ver nice Col. Conk badger brush for about $40 or so in pure I believe. I had forgotten about this information- tyx for the headsup.:thumbup1:

marty

Yeah, the coolshaving stuff comes up every now and then. I view their "methods" very skeptically: I tried contacting them a few years back about their "harvesting" technique and "seasonal" hair and never got a reply. Now I see that their brushes page is mostly Col. Conk products that they seem to be passing off as their own (a few years back they had a much more "custom" handle line). I classify coolshaving in the "things that make you say 'hmmmmmm' " catagory.

--Mark

I wonder if there's a way to tell which of the hair groups our own brushes where made of?

+1. Also if the info in the page is correct then i wish more brush makers would use this method to obtain the hair from badger than the one shown in the disturbing video, badger being skinned alive in China, that was linked to recently.

+1. Also if the info in the page is correct then i wish more brush makers would use this method to obtain the hair from badger than the one shown in the disturbing video, badger being skinned alive in China, that was linked to recently.

That was a raccoon dog, not a badger. But, we shouldn't talk about those things because it will just lead to the thread being locked because all humane/inhumane treatment messages should be in that other "official" thread...:tongue_sm

"How many badgers had to die to make this shaving brush"? Believe it or not, a young man actually thought we killed badgers to get these bristles for our shaving brushes. Nothing could be further from the truth. The manufacturer of these superior quality brushes maintains a flock of badgers that are more pampered and coddled than any badger in the wild, or any domestic animal for that matter.

Three times in the Spring and Summer, these badgers are sheared like sheep. Our Summer-coat Badger Brush is created from these shearings. However, when the last Summer shearing takes place in late August, something miraculous happens to the bodies of the badger. As the badgers are let out into their spacious pens after the August shearing, their bodies go into overdrive because their natural instincts know that harsh Winter is on its way soon, and the badger body is now shaved. Within days, a new coat begins to emerge, and it is much more luxurious, much thicker than the Summer Coat just sheared. This coat is called Winter Coat Badger, and holds twice the water and heat of Summer Coat Badger. This Winter Coat Badger is the finest natural material in the world for holding water and heat, and would never have been possible in the wild where the animals are never sheared. Once the badgers go through the Winter Season with this fine luxurious coat, they are sheared again in the early Spring, just before this coat would become too warm for them. This is when we get the Winter Coat bristles.
Oh please. Maintaining a "flock of badgers"? "Sheared like sheep"? Sure. And after they're sheared, the badgers all take a cruise to Barbados to stay warm until their fur grows back. Believe in Fairy Tales if you wish, but my BS meter is pegged way over on this one.

Top Bottom