What's new

Slurry Question and bevel question

Slurry Question
Is it a good idea to use slurry created by a light lapping? If i lightly rub the dmt d8c over my norton 4k/8k or chinese 12k it produces a milk, can this be used?

Bevel Question
A while a go i bought a new Dovo Silver Steel, on a thoroughly lapped hone, when honing the blade toward me i notice the very centre seems to be off the hone a tad. When i inspect it one side has a large bevel (shiny depth) the other only very little. Is the blade warped? Is this normal? Should i contact the supplier?

Thanks in advance

Slurry's created by lapping are okay, but I prefer rinsing this slurry off and making more with a nagura or other slurry stone. Once or twice I've gone to use my 12k after lapping and found that there was grit stuck in it from my diamond plate. It was only one particle, but it put a visible scratch both on my bevel and on my hone. Grit contamination is a PITA and should be avoided if you want consistent results.

Since this anomaly, I've taken to rinsing my hone after lapping, scrubbing it with a rag vigorously and then smoothing the surface even more by using other hones. I find this makes for a beautiful smooth surface on my higher grit hones. Once prepped, I then make a slurry if I want one. And yes, the milky slurry on a Chinese 12k is useable, however I don't find it increases the cutting power that much (at least not as much as with my japanese stones). This is my method, I'm entirely certain other folks do things completely different.

As for the Dovo, how much of a difference in the bevel are we talking here? Is there a visible asymetry in the grind? (deeper on one side)
Perhaps some pictures would help.
It's entirely likely your blade is imperfect, but demanding perfection from Dovo (or any other manufacturer) is a hopeless battle.

There is noticable difference with a magnifying glass, and when honing it does seem as if the very middle is slightly raised

Have you colored the bevel with magic marker then honed it a bit to see if you are or aren't getting that area?

Top Bottom