What's new

New to single edge.

Hi folks I'm Sammy I'm from the UK,I've been working away with de shavers nothing fancy I've got a ej 89 a Futur adjustable ,a fatip piccolo and an icon slant .So now I would like to try a single edge razor I've got my beady eye on the att single edge so what's the good the bad and the Ugly on it .Sammy.

Greetings and welcome.

My only advice is to try any and all SE's that strike your fancy. They can be some of the most efficient razors you will use. I have never used the ATT but of those I've used that accept the Gem type SE blades, I've gotten the best results from the Gem Personna PTFE blades.

And of course any time you obtain and use a new razor, please post your review here!

Hello and welcome, Sammy. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Hello and welcome, Sammy. I started with a MONGOOSE then proceeded to a GEM DAMASKEENE both provided a nice close comfortable shave for me. I was delighted so I acquired a few more SE razors such as EVERREADY and the RR HAWK which also provide wonderful shaves for me. I'm currently looking at the CLAYMORE, COLONIAL GENERAL, and ATT SE1.

Having said all that Sammy start where your budget takes you and you probably will end up in the rabbit hole just as I did. I am now a LOSER(lover of single edge razors) my DE's haven't been used in ten months

Welcome Sammy. You are entering a different world with SE shaving. In DE shaving, you have essentially two basic designs of razors but a couple of hundred different blades to choose from. In the SE world, you have a bunch of different blade formats, but a limited number of blades in each format. I recommend you try out the three major formats - Gem type, Schick injector type, and Feather AC type (the ATT is one of these). Each of these types you can find good example of for $20 or less just to try out to see if any one format really call out to you. What you will probably find is that all are great shavers and has definite advantages over DE. My only suggestion at this point is to hold off on the ATT as it is expensive and try the cheaper options if you are looking for a Feather AC type. That way you can also experiment with the other types if you find out that SE is a great way to go.

Have fun on your journey.

Welcome to the wonderful world of SE shaving. I discovered single edge razors a little over two years ago and have been using them exclusively since that time. They are as much fun to collect as they are to use - I currently have just over 100 of them.

Oh, and I sold all of my DE razors about a year ago, since I was no longer using them at all. :thumbup1:

As others have suggested, you may wish to start off with one of the less expensive razors until you determine if SE shaving is your cup of tea. On the other hand, the ATT is a finely crafted razor that is an excellent shaver - and a part of my regular rotation.

Oh, and welcome to B&B!

--Bob

Hi folks I've been a member for a while but I mostly just lurk in the background.Sure I introduced my self when I first found this forum.My reason for the att single edge is the quality and actually to save money sure I could buy cheaper se razors but if I did I'd just be working my way to buying a better one everytime .If I buy the Att then that should be it .(i know not likely.)Don't think I'll have any problems with a se as I use straights as well.and thanks for the encouragement and welcome.

I advise grabbing a Razorock hawk and a blade sampler from tryablade.com. This set up shaves great and only totals about $45 total with shipping. The blade is the key with this setup, and I have gotten shaves even closer than my 1912s and 1914 right out of the box.
I haven't tried any of the more pricey models, but I'm very happy with the performance, especially at this price point.

I just remembered that you were from the UK. If you don't mind waiting a while (hopefully only a month), you might consider the Executive Shaving Claymore. The version 1 was an excellent shaver, but a little eon the heavy side. They are currently redesigning it to be lighter and more efficient. Don't know if the price will go up with the new version, but the original version fell in the mid range of prices. Of course if you are set on getting an ATT and nothing will deter you from getting one, go ahead and get one. There is just a bigger world out there.

Lol yep a whole new world for me to try Im not in a hurry to buy something so I may well try and wait a month and see what the claymore is like.Me being Scottish as well it may suit me just fine .I'm still reading up on blades etc.Sammy.

I second polsilver on his choice of an SE to start with. The angle is pretty much intuitive and it is forgiving even with the pro.

Lol yep a whole new world for me to try Im not in a hurry to buy something so I may well try and wait a month and see what the claymore is like.Me being Scottish as well it may suit me just fine .I'm still reading up on blades etc.Sammy.

Well if you're a Scott, this will stir your national pride (I know it did for me and I ain't Scottish):

$15181346_10154103955112337_1590900542584207728_n.jpg

Prototype of the machined stainless steel version of the Claymore. Last heard, he will be getting a revised version this week and making a decision on full production shortly after.

Gvw thanks for that .executive shaving isn't far from me you've got me interested seems I've to wait a while .I'm fine with that I've got a new icon slant I'm haveing a wee play with and 400 de blades in the stash.Sammy.

Top Bottom