What's new

Art Of Shaving Silver Tip brush

Has anyone used this brush? If so what is your take on it. I need a new brush and it is convenient to get to the Art of Shaving store. Just don't know if it is worth the $195. Thanks, Keith

AOS products are all quite overpriced - their brushes are absolutely no exception. They rebrand Muhle brushes and then mark them up by quite a bit, so it will be a good brush, just at a bad price. I suggest going for the Stirling Soaps finest badger brush - top-tier quality (arguably better than an AOS/Muhle silvertip) for less than a quarter of the price of the AOS.

$200!!! I nearly spit my coffee out. My vulfix 660 was only $50 and it's probably miles ahead in quality. AOS is owned by gillette, you don't want to go there.

It's a very nice brush.

It's very expensive. If it's what you want I think the quality is great. I had the metal handle one in silvertip. The loft was a little higher than I care for which made it feel a little floppy.

There are so many options available online that it's not easy to recommend one alternative in particular without understanding what you're looking for.

The AOS brush is expensive but it is high quality.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Happy with my AoS pure badger, but it was a gift (from someone with more bucks than me).

As noted great products, but premium price.

AA

I believe the AoS brushes are very well made but are overpriced.

I received an AoS Pure Badger brush as a gift. It had zero badger funk and has never shed a single hair. I don't like the feel of the Pure hair at all, but I can't fault the quality of the handle, knot, or assembly. That being said, there are much better deals at the same price.

Silvertip brushes from Kent, Shavemac and Thater will match AoS quality at $ 110-130 for a similar size. You will find very good Silvertip brushes in the $ 40-80 price range from Razorock, Stirling, Semogue, Parker and many others.

It's probably a good quality brush but for that price you have a ton of high quality and probably better quality options. The characteristics you like in a brush will evolve over time and once you know what you really like and need then plunk down the big bucks if you choose.

AOS badger brushes are great. Reputed to be either Muehle or Shavemac.
buy at their 20% off sales.
if any problem at any time, AOS will make it good.
at least, that is my experience.
what other retailer will match that?

IMO, AoS hardware is generally overpriced for the quality. For my $, I would pick a Simpsons or ask Rudy Vey what he could do.

AOS badger brushes are great. Reputed to be either Muehle or Shavemac.
buy at their 20% off sales.
if any problem at any time, AOS will make it good.
at least, that is my experience.
what other retailer will match that?
If you are paying double the price any retailer will match that or you can match it yourself by getting another one at half price. :)

Has anyone used this brush? If so what is your take on it. I need a new brush and it is convenient to get to the Art of Shaving store. Just don't know if it is worth the $195. Thanks, Keith

There are some really good vendors like Rudy Vey or Bob Quinn that will put together a beautiful brush for you, very promptly. Both have great customer service. If you really want the best bang for your buck, Bob Quinn's (Elite Razor) Manchurian White knots are the best knots out there right now. The Manchurian white's beat every knot out there that I've tried in terms of softness. Good backbone, gel tips, and decent flow through. It will run you anywhere from $110 to $140 dollars depending on the size of knot/handle material, but you will end up with a beautiful product.

This is the brush I have coming in from Bob currently.
View attachment 708802
This is an older one I have by him in Turqoise
$2016-08-23-08-25-16.jpg
And this is my Rudy Vey with a shavemac in burlwood.
$uploadfromtaptalk1444582904686.jpg

Looks like Bob got some more stock of that crazy acrylic. I'm glad to see you got one Paintflinger. I got the 24mm 2-band Manchurian White set at 49mm. Great brush. My favorite right now. It's also the prettiest. Bob makes wonderful brushes. Definitely worth the money.

I purchased a cheaper Art of Shaving brush and the bristles were not soft. Returned it for the silver tip brush and it was much nicer. I have had it now for 13 years and it still works great. It is able to lather the AOS sandlewood cream and it still spreads the bristles out in a nice way to get the rich foam that I want. When I need another brush, I will be buying another one. When you consider it costs me less than $20 a year to have a great brush that makes me smile every time I use it, I found it to be a great investment. All you need to do is rinse it wall, and hang it when your done.

Last edited:
Everything at AoS is of great quality and performs well, but you're paying a premium of 50% or more over online pricing.
That said, there's a value to instant gratification of picking something up in person instead of waiting for shipping, of having a network of retail stores you can drop in at in case you need help, and a warranty program second to none.

Very similar to Apple in many respects.

Overpriced but good quality. Spend more time here on the brush forum and you will probably be directed to less expensive, better quality product.

My AoS brush is my favorite of the half-dozen brushes I have. It was a gift, so I never asked what it cost, but I can't complain about the quality--I don't think it lost more than 5 bristles during the break-in period and nothing since. My other brushes all seem to lose one or two bristles a week.

I look at AoS as the department store of shaving supplies. You pay full retail price since their overhead is a lot more than online stores. However, you can see and touch what you want.

I had a chromed pure badger brush from them and they took it back after a year because it was shedding a few hairs. I got a finest badger and it has worked great. Now that I've seen the brushes on the internet, I realize I prob overpaid but the product is really good.

Top Bottom