What's new

Best Skuttle?

The DB1.5 is huge and holds a ton of lather.

1.5 with a PK-47. I believe mine is a bit wider and shallower than most. You could probably request tweaks before ordering.

proxy.php

Looks like you got your's before Julie started putting the lip on the edge.

I no longer use a scuttle (copper shaving mug these days) but have tried several and the Schwarzweisskeramik S was the best one among them.

I don't have a dribble port on mine either. In fact, I don't know what that is...
For a while, she put a small hole on the inner bowl between the inner and outer but not out the whole scuttle . It allowed you to tip it, so water from the reservoir could be added to the lather bowl.

It didn't seem like a good idea and I guess it didn't go over well.

Georgetown 20 here. Really is too big, if I was to get another I would go with the 12. Temp holding is a mute point, unless you take over 30 minutes to shave, every scuttle I have keeps it nice and warm.

Other scuttles I have:

A no-name two piece stoneware about 1/3 the size of my Georgetown. Have to lift the bowl out to whip a lather, otherwise it is great.
A couple "British" style brush scuttles, nice for face lathering and keep brush warm. Too small for bowl lathering.
A Turkish copper bowl floating in the sink works real well.

Keep hearing about the Dirty Birds, gonna add one to the collection soon. Anything that hyped around here is generally good kit.

I have 4 scuttles, 2 antique open mouth, one Crown King G12 and one G20 from the Ukraine. I use them all in my normal rotation, along with 2 different bowls. They all do a great job keeping my lather and brushes warm through my 2 to 3 passes. So I can't say which one is best, just that they all work well for me.

there's always a plan B.

I have a G20 Hamada and Blue Georgetown arriving tomorrow or Tuesday.
I looked at the Dirty Bird but I like that the Georgetown has a plug, which I did not see on any dirtybird.
I know without some kind of plug, hot water would get me everytime.

I have a captains choice bowl and while it's great, it retains no heat. Obviously.

The bowl of my Dirtybird 1.5 is pretty spherical as far as I can tell. I mean, I haven't tried to measure it or anything, but it seems pretty round to me. It also has a pronounced lip to help keep the lather in the bowl.

I have the 1.5, which is about 50% larger than the regular scuttle. I like having room to work.

I have included a photo with a Simpsons Chubby 2 for scale. The spiral in the bowl is standard, web lines in the bowl are optional.

proxy.php
Nice Picture. Thanks for posting it. They look good overall; So a Dirty Bird it shall be. Happy Shaving!

Georgetown 20 here. Really is too big, if I was to get another I would go with the 12. Temp holding is a mute point, unless you take over 30 minutes to shave, every scuttle I have keeps it nice and warm.

Other scuttles I have:

A no-name two piece stoneware about 1/3 the size of my Georgetown. Have to lift the bowl out to whip a lather, otherwise it is great.
A couple "British" style brush scuttles, nice for face lathering and keep brush warm. Too small for bowl lathering.
A Turkish copper bowl floating in the sink works real well.

Keep hearing about the Dirty Birds, gonna add one to the collection soon. Anything that hyped around here is generally good kit.

Thanks for your post. I have been wondering about the volume difference between the 12 fl. oz. and 20 fl. oz. Georgetown scuttles.

I've never tried a scuttle, but floating a Turkish copper bowl in the sink filled with hot water sounds like a good idea to this winter-bound New Englander. By coincidence, I have a Turkish copper bowl that fits fairly snugly inside a handmade ceramic lather mug/bowl I picked up from Maggard razors. Following your idea, I could float the copper bowl in the ceramic mug/bowl, changing hot water as needed between passes.

Last edited:
My seven (or so) year-old large Moss Scuttle was needing replacement. I'd glued the handle back about 4 times (crazy glue or epoxy would work for a year plus then loosen), and I'd glued back a few chips on the outer rim (I think from hitting it with my brush).

I searched this forum and was deciding between one of the medium to large scuttles with the G20 in the running when I saw mention of the Georgetown "Seconds" option. $27 for the G12 and $32 for the G20. I read that the seconds had very minor imperfections and, figuring it wouldn't last forever anyway, ordered a (Hamada) G20 2nd. $43 shipped.

Came yesterday. There are two pinhead size blisters in the finish on one side of the scuttle. Easy to spot if you're looking for it but trivial and only visible from one side. They're also low down so the scuttle needs to be at eye level to see them.

The scuttle's great and a steal at this price.

In short - if price doesn't matter to you, there are several choices including the Georgetown pottery ones to consider. If you prefer spending < $50 and aren't looking for a collector's item, I think this is an outstanding choice and value.

I don't hold the scuttle in my hand when I shave, so I think the G20 was the right choice for me as it'll stay warm longer.
If you want something lighter and shorter, the G12 should also work very well.

Compared to my old Moss scuttle (may be different now), I like the deep bowl (lather much less likely to creep over the top) and the lines and bumps probably help with lathering.

I also like having a stopper, but it's not really needed.

Finally: aesthetically porcelain is thinner and the way its shaped it has a more refined, modern look compared to the clay ones. That said, some might prefer the more rustic, hand-crafted look of the clay scuttles.

Regardless, if you don't have a scuttle, I recommend highly that you get one. Makes shaving even more of a joy.

Top Bottom