What's new

Best Skuttle?

What do you think the best scuttle is, and why? This is simply information gathering, for possible future purchase. Thanks for your participation!

Have a GeorgeTown Scuttle on the way but from what I've read of others experiences Dirty Bird Scuttles and GeorgeTown Scuttles get alot of praise! The crown king would be another that many enjoy as well and is inexpensive.

Have a GeorgeTown Scuttle on the way but from what I've read of others experiences Dirty Bird Scuttles and GeorgeTown Scuttles get alot of praise! The crown king would be another that many enjoy as well and is inexpensive.

I am curious what model of GeorgeTown Scuttle you ordered, and why that size? They are very nice looking Scuttles.

I wouldn't say there is a "best". Potters don't intentionally make junk. I would recommend a clay scuttle as it holds heat better than the ceramic ones. Outside of that, price, aesthetics, colors, and smooth or ridges will be the deciding factors. I have a larger DirtyBird 1.5 and love it. Julie is also one of the friendliest people you'll deal with, so I went with her based on the recommendations of others here.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Dirty Bird and Georgetown. Pick one. You won't go wrong with either one

DirtyBird = hand made, stoneware, customizable, work one on one with the maker (Julie)

Georgetown = porcelain, local potter made, get what you get.

It's not even close...DirtyBird.

She also sells seconds and you'd never know the difference. Even Georgetown agrees that Stoneware is better in so many words "So if any of you have some stoneware pieces consider yourself lucky, there aren't many left.".

I've owned both. Only Julie's made the cut.

Last edited:
I put my vote on Captain's Choice lather bowl. They work really well to raise lather. Very nice bowl that will not break the bank. I think they are around $24USD.

I put my vote on Captain's Choice lather bowl. They work really well to raise lather. Very nice bowl that will not break the bank. I think they are around $24USD.
I think the OP is looking for a scuttle to make warm lather. A bowl can't do that.

DirtyBird = hand made, stoneware, customizable, work one on one with the maker (Julie)

Georgetown = porcelain, local potter made, get what you get.

It's not even close...DirtyBird.

She also sells seconds and you'd never know the difference. Even Georgetown agrees that Stoneware is better in so many words "So if any of you have some stoneware pieces consider yourself lucky, there aren't many left.".

I've owned both. Only Julie's made the cut.

I have never owned a Georgetown scuttle, so I can't comment on their quality. I do know a lot of people here do like them.

But I have noticed how well the stoneware of my Dirty Bird 1.5 holds the heat. I could probably have warm lather for a 5th pass if I needed it!

I have never owned a Georgetown scuttle, so I can't comment on their quality. I do know a lot of people here do like them.

But I have noticed how well the stoneware of my Dirty Bird 1.5 holds the heat. I could probably have warm lather for a 5th pass if I needed it!

+1 I've never had a problem with it not staying warm even with 4 passes and touchup. It's great having warm lather for the entire shave on a cold morning. On the flipside, it's also outstanding for ice water shaves during our desert summers. Whipping up an ice cold Cryogen lather is somthing everyone should try at least once.

What do you think the best scuttle is, and why? This is simply information gathering, for possible future purchase. Thanks for your participation!
Thanks for everyone's input, it is helpful. I prefer stoneware for the simple reason that it retains heat much better than porcelain. I have a shave bowl similar to Captain's Choice, made of stoneware, and once heated it keeps the lather almost as warm as the Crown King Skuttle I have. I should have seen that before I bought it.

The dirty bird: It looks like the bowl is conical. My experience with the Crown King is that it doesn't hold much lather due to the shape. The dirty bird appears to have a similar cone shape bowl, and is a little smaller. Is this the case, and if so, does anyone find the shape, or size an issue? Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for everyone's input, it is helpful. I prefer stoneware for the simple reason that it retains heat much better than porcelain. I have a shave bowl similar to Captain's Choice, made of stoneware, and once heated it keeps the lather almost as warm as the Crown King Skuttle I have. I should have seen that before I bought it.

The dirty bird: It looks like the bowl is conical. My experience with the Crown King is that it doesn't hold much lather due to the shape. The dirty bird appears to have a similar cone shape bowl, and is a little smaller. Is this the case, and if so, does anyone find the shape, or size an issue? Thanks again for your input.

The bowl of my Dirtybird 1.5 is pretty spherical as far as I can tell. I mean, I haven't tried to measure it or anything, but it seems pretty round to me. It also has a pronounced lip to help keep the lather in the bowl.

I have the 1.5, which is about 50% larger than the regular scuttle. I like having room to work.

I have included a photo with a Simpsons Chubby 2 for scale. The spiral in the bowl is standard, web lines in the bowl are optional.

proxy.php

Last edited:
The DB1.5 is huge and holds a ton of lather.

1.5 with a PK-47. I believe mine is a bit wider and shallower than most. You could probably request tweaks before ordering.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I don't think there really is a "best" scuttle. Ones I have used/like are Crown King Scuttle & Georgetown Pottery. Dirty Birds are also very well liked as you can tell from the responses to the thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom