What's new

Shavemac D01 2 Band Knot Loft ?

What's a good size for this grade of badger ?
I like scritch and scrub , but think that 24x48 , the knot size shown as a ready to go brush , may be too much .
24x50 ?
24x 52 ?

What's your experience ?

What's a good size for this grade of badger ?
I like scritch and scrub , but think that 24x48 , the knot size shown as a ready to go brush , may be too much .
24x50 ?
24x 52 ?

What's your experience ?

Are you ordering a bulb, fan, or flat top?

I did a 1:2 ratio, knot diameter:loft, and wished I had added 2-3mm to the loft at least. The D0-1 2 band is no joke, the backbone is unlike anything else I've experienced in any brush.

I would recommend 24:52. You should also ask Bernd, the owner. Tell him what you're looking for and he'll guide you in the right direction.

I recently did one D0-1 two band at 24x50, and it was quite scritchy with maybe too much backbone. So I ordered a 26x52 and hit the sweet spot. I did tell Bernd that I wanted scritchy brushes, and he replied that he would take that into consideration when selecting the knots.

Since I've had the 24x50, and used it 4-5 times it has mellowed out to be a really great scritchy brush, with a better balance between scritch and backbone than it had when I first used it. The 26x52 was great from the very first. I just hope it doesn't mellow out too much, these are fans BTW. I imagine a bulb might be more so in the backbone/scritch equation.

$IMG_0751.jpg
$IMG_4136.jpg

The Shavemac D01 two band is the finest knot I have EVER used. Period. I prefer the larger versions. The Rudy Vey "Aloysius" Chief style is about 26x52 or so. The Shavemac 90 is about 24x48. Both are wonderful. The larger knot gets the nod but that is mostly because I like larger brushes

Personally, I would go with a Bulb 24 x 52 if those are the measurements you want.
I have a 30 x 52mm Bulb and I don't find it scritchy, at all. It is a very lovely scrubby knot, but quite soft, at the same time. :)
Good luck.

Sometimes I like scritch .
Also thinking of maybe going 23x48 , which is the approx. size of my Chubby 1 Best , a great scrubby face latherer .
The 1mm just might make the difference between too much and just right .

I also have a Shavemac Pure Badger with a 21x50 bulb in ebony wood handle .
Love it ; so maybe will try D01 in this setup .

Shavemac 2 band d01 25x50...will this configuration have too much backbone and be a lather hog. I've got a Shavemac 2 band silver tip that I love...nice size with good flow through. I just wish it had a little more scratch.

Top Bottom